Turkey Gear 2017

Five Seasons

I'm all set as far as gear goes. Still want to take off my barrel and scrub it mirror clean, then take it to the range to make sure it is dead on. After that, hope the turkey gods smile down on me this spring, since last year was a brutal season.

• Like 2

Yes, I love May.

• I typically use intheswim.com for my pool chemicals, floats, etc.
  • I typically use NY Golf or Golfsmith in midtown for my golf-related stuff.
  • I'm pretty set on fishing stuff since I mostly fish live bait, but I plan to buy a new fishfinder this spring.
  • I typically use Home Depot for mulch.

Yes, I love May.
  • I typically use intheswim.com for my pool chemicals, floats, etc.
  • I typically use NY Golf or Golfsmith in midtown for my golf-related stuff.
  • I'm pretty set on fishing stuff since I mostly fish live bait, but I plan to buy a new fishfinder this spring.
  • I typically use Home Depot for mulch.

Scrap home depot for the mulch and get a delivery from a local nursery! Much better quality and a better look in the garden bed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Scrap home depot for the mulch and get a delivery from a local nursery! Much better quality and a better look in the garden bed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't like it that way. I want the bags to open on spot its much faster for me. I am only getting around 20-25 bags

This year will be my first concerted effort in the turkey woods. 

Last night, I picked up the pre-ordered Winchester SXP Turkey Hunter (12 guage, 3.5 inch shells) and need to sight that in.  After reading Grampy's post, I think I might pick up a bug net for the head and face.  I figure it'll better hide me as well.

My calling is getting better on the pot call, but I'd like to learn the box call for gobbling.  A friend gave me one when he moved across country.

I have a ridge picked out for sunny days, and a forest clearing for when it rains.  But mostly, I'm looking forward to getting into the woods for a hunt.

28 minutes ago, Rebel Darling said:

My calling is getting better on the pot call, but I'd like to learn the box call for gobbling. 

Better off just buying a gobble call. Use it very sparingly and if on public land I might not even use it. Always treat the woods as if someone else is out there hunting as well. Someone is apt to try and sneak up on the gobble . If using to locate , maybe better off with a crow call on public land. At least safer   I can't get my Lynch's 101 quieted down much so I'll only use it on windy days

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I'd like a new turkey hunting vest. But Idk if I'll splurge for one or not. My bow and shotgun are ready to go. Bought avain x decoys last year so I'm set there. Just need to get the ground blind up next month and I'll be ready to go thump a thunder chicken with my boy!

I gave up the vest years ago for a hip pack. I used about 10% of the stuff in that heavy vest it was ridiculous

I know I wouldn't use the amount of pockets they have. I usually only carry my slate call and maybe a box call. I want a vest purely for the pouch in the back to carry decoys in and the flip down seating pad. The flip down seat is the biggest reason, who doesn't like a dry rear end when walking around lol. Can't count how many times I had to quickly setup with birds coming and and plopped my butt down into a wet spot. That's what got me wanting a vest to begin with. Being able to carry other stuff is just a bonus.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I gave up the vest years ago for a hip pack. I used about 10% of the stuff in that heavy vest it was ridiculous

my vest is pretty light and has a butt cushion which is probably all I need it for. it flips down quickly or folds up with magnets. I think my vest was $40 from gander. It does make me feel like a soldier heading into combat with all the calls and stuff hanging off lol.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I'm not really daydreaming about turkey season just yet, but I did have it in mind when I picked up a couple Browning Strike Forces not long ago. Looking forward to setting them up at the decoys to get some close up action footage with sound of a gobbler getting smacked!

Also added a Dark Ops to the cam arsenal this morning, so I may need to add another deke to the line-up now!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Spent many an hours on this. Since bought gobbler loungers. a4c7ef2a76018e171859da8d1c7af2a9.jpg

And before plunking down in the dark next to that big old tree, look for coon crap at the base. Not that I've ever sat in it or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my chair is similar but the legs dont fold up. Its a heck of a lot lighter

a69baf42e069330baf0a2d92596d7d21.jpg