21 deer

growalot

Just as the sun dipped below the hill across the valley Mr B. Yells out " Holy shite Chris look out the front window!" There piling out of the neighbors sanctuary and across our drive ,then the road to my front garden are 21 deer big and small. They walked the ditch eating grass and road salt then walked the cut power line down to the hunting camp below.

Looks like I'll be putting up some cams to see if this is a regular thing at that time of day...nice seeing a big herd again.

• Like 4

Over the last few years we've seen a significant increase in buck and buck fawn...I wonder what the fawn drop will look like this year...In the last couple of years the fawn drop has gone down to one and twins,where as,and I've mentioned it in the past, we have seen large numbers of triplets. So things have changed,not sure it is predator related or not.

36 minutes ago, growalot said:

Over the last few years we've seen a significant increase in buck and buck fawn...I wonder what the fawn drop will look like this year...In the last couple of years the fawn drop has gone down to one and twins,where as,and I've mentioned it in the past, we have seen large numbers of triplets. So things have changed,not sure it is predator related or not.

OK, ok here's the plan...You and Mr. B will be in the cardboard tower and I'll sit in River's tower....lol

Lol...Mr B will be at camp and I believe our daughter and significant will be n Rivers blind,I'll be in the swamp,or the knew bull blind Short tower:wink:

Remember no guarantees here...especially the last few years....those deer left the sanctuary at Sun down...we have people obviously feeding and domesticated below us...I haven't seen a racked buck in months...the bee hive guy has had 3 walking through his 1 acre every few days ...All huge racked...Obviously deer I havent seen just A 1/4   mile from my farthest property line above him and1/2 mile down the road parallel to him.

18 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Here's a pic from Tuesday at about 6:30 pm. I think there's about 36 in this pic which was zoomed a bit. There were 57 all total in the whole field. In 1.5 miles on my odometer, we counted a little more than 100.

IMG_4883.JPG

This reminds me back in the day when a count of 50 to 100 would be in the fields. Glad to see the numbers coming back.

• Like 2

Nice!   OMG...what will be the next DEC scheme?..Thank God they are doing well, I was about to start worrying for the influx poor Region 8M might get should AR' s go through..they're finally getting their doe #'s up.. guys going there for both what ever bucks and getting doe tags too...lol

Me,maybe I'll get lucky and there will be so many they have to leave sanctuary during hunting hours..I never did get enough to send to Wilson's. I'm missing my snack sticks:wink:

Starting on the 17th I have had between 9 and 25 in my field every night between 7:00 & 7:30 pm. They have also been in the yard digging and hitting the flower gardens and bird feeder attached to the deck between 3:00 & 3:30 a.m.

All look healthy and fat. Most are good sized but there are a couple that don't look over six months old which makes me wonder when they were born.

• Like 1

From what I've seen, it appears that in our little corner of 8N this past hunting season didn't even dent the deer population. It's starting to look like there may be other areas with the same season results. So maybe I have to start agreeing with the DEC that we have a potential problem that requires some attention. And I don't mean putting the solution entirely on the backs of bowhunters either. Not if they are really looking for solutions.

So what's going on? Is it all access problems or is there now a component of failing hunter numbers and enthusiasm? Every year I am struck with the diminished shooting patterns for opening weekend and the almost silent hunting seasons after that first weekend. Are we already becoming incapable of controlling deer through hunting?

Always find it amazing when I drive around the block(7 miles x 2 miles) and can count well over 200 deer in just the fields I can see from the road. 

Then hear the seasonal hunters complain there are no deer .. Amazing how all those deer dissappear during season.. 

Makes one wonder about deer numbers and estimates and estimates take and estimates buck ages.. How can anything actually be done with the very few Dec employees we have..really wish the right to hunt and fish was added to the state constitution and give power to regulate to a game comission.. We could really have a well managed wildlife resource.

• Like 2

It's great to see all these big herds. Weather was definitely kind to them this year. But poof, deer season starts and "where do they go?"  30 years ago while xcountry skiing at Lancaster CC I had 83 deer come out of the woods across the fairway in front of me. What an awesome sight. Snow was fairly deep and when they were done crossing the fairway you should have seen the rut of a path they left.

I'm thinking it may never happen...with what I'm seeing going on here....A true Game office may not be as easy to manipulate.  We have guys coming up from NYC,Long Island, Jersey with money taking locals to court over land ,let's say, situations and straight up saying money always win..Buying large tracts and making LLC' s . Making threats and trying to get surrounding locals to sell...We have received leasing  post cards mailed to us recently...What's happening around here...started at camp over ten years ago. They have been after the camp neighbor for years...bought up nearly everything around us.....hunting ,all down state. One group tried buying hundreds of acres at the end of Loon Lake as a high fenced hunting preserve..not sure what happened on that deal...though no preserve was built. You have real estate companies that deal only in hunting properties. Hey There is a vested interest in making sure the people easiest to influence are in charge...That's your politicians. These guys and groups see hunting as big business , Land prices and taxes up here must seem like leaving a designer store and hitting the swift Shoppe for them. Ever stop to wonder..When these Conservation land "acqusitons " the huge tracts in the daks and some around the Finger lakes. When the State stops paying for these places...who do you think they'll have to sell to? Sure non profit,but that does not mean the CEO' s and employees aren't played good money...lands willed to them...Have you seen the $$$$#'s the DEC handed out to get them. All these people want to hear is no commercial nor residential building will happen and any  wet lands are left protected as well as timber management...Other than that it's the highest bidder. No one wonders why Cuomo is having such a vocal push on promoting FIRST CLASS hunting and fishing in NYS?

Edited by growalot

On 3/23/2017 at 8:50 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

Here's a pic from Tuesday at about 6:30 pm. I think there's about 36 in this pic which was zoomed a bit. There were 57 all total in the whole field. In 1.5 miles on my odometer, we counted a little more than 100.

IMG_4883.JPG

Holy crap. Since I've been paying attention, just over two years now, the most deer I've ever seen at once is 11. I've seen that number once in 2015, once in 2016. Otherwise, I typically see 2-5 deer. Never seen more than two deer together at a time while actually hunting. This is in Wayne county. That number of 11 includes all the driving and looking at fields all months of the year, too. 

Edited by Core

Core We are starting to see numbers like we saw years ago..I can tell you that is when people didn't complain about how horrible the hunting was and everyone shot doe. Some pretty fantastic buck as well. I remember when bow hunting buck would be roaming the woods all different time's of day searching out doe. Running them all around the woods. I got some of my best day pics of buck and doe right off my deck,even bucks fighting next to the house. I have high hopes for this season.

• Like 1