2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

Heading out for day four. Run &a gun this morning. 

Buddy is hunting his property this morning. There's 2 Toms and 7 jakes there for sure. Saw them and trail cam pics. Not a peep this morning. " not every bird will talk everyday ". He's hunkered tight , soft talk every 15-20 , awaiting gobbles or silent strutters. He nor I have never been run and gunners. We plunk down and play the waiting game. 

Everyone hunts differently and there's no correct way. 

• Like 5

Taking a break on the way back to the truck. Last week 2 days I didn't follow my gut and it cost me a chance at hit lister #1. Even though it meant a 3 mile walk i listened to my gut this morning. The last thing he heard was sweet bomber clucks because he hit the deck so hard he never heard the gun blast.

Well breaks over time to get hoofin back to the truck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

After two days no gobbles and the sound of just one fly down ...I'm giving them a break...They have been hearing locator sounds a whole bunch of hen sounds and listening to the deer snort and the fox dashing around do the catching scents. They need a break. Though seeing the fox and yotes have been out big time in the area I'm glad everyone else has been out as well...this is also a good nesting area...actually the neighbors 2yrs old logging is great nesting So if all the activity this weekend has helped move the predators out some ....That's a good thing. Lots of work to do...dang suppose to go up to 85 here this week .

13 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Got to go where the birds are! 

Suburban tract but trust me, if a jake or Tom was following, I would have been in my backyard with bow in hand calling from the deck.  lol  Neighbors are cool with me shooting the bow.  A 20 gauge, not so much I think.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

What's the matter? A big guy like you can't handle a 12?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I drive a sissy truck.  What did you expect?  LOL actually, it is Winchester sxp 12 gauge.  Shows how close I am with my turkey gun.  But my slug gun is only 20 gauge so still a sissy.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I drive a sissy truck.  What did you expect?  LOL actually, it is Winchester sxp 12 gauge.  Shows how close I am with my turkey gun.  But my slug gun is only 20 gauge so still a sissy.

I wish my 11-87 slug gun was a 20ga, Id probably even practice with it if it were

• Like 1

Wow that was one of the most gruesome stalks of my life. It has taken me 2hrs to go 50yds and I killed him at 8ft cb094c6b17439e4aa9b67747465f0bb2.jpg&key=ae70db9c513501ac314933b692e2786d3281d5984ac68feeaeeb035ae4a080d9Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you took blowing his head off literally. Nicely done at 8 ft. That is some close quarters shooting!

Looks like you took blowing his head off literally. Nicely done at 8 ft. That is some close quarters shooting!

It wasn't pretty! That is the closest I have ever gotten to birds crawling up to them in a hay field. I had a hen peck at the lens of my scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

So buddy who's hunkered down since dawn has been texting me all morning. Had hen at 20 yards early on. Then comes the still waiting text, hour later and waiting and so on. Gobbler just hung up at 40 yards on him so the waiting game panned out. . He was involved in a terrible car accident a year and a half ago and lucky to be alive. He's paralyzed on his left side so hunting with a xbow from a rest. He said he would have killed that bird years back by being able to move on him but simply just happy to be able to still get out there even with the handicap. Shotgun slam, grand slam and a lot of bow kills under his belt. When I visited him at the hospital one of his wishes was to be able to hunt birds again. Very pleased his wish came true. I told him at the time I would carry him out there if I had too.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Those are nice spurs. 4+ yr old probably . Most of my birds have been the typical 2 yr old with 3/4' spurs and 8.75 ' beard. And any bird shot stalking him so close is a dandy. I can't even sneak up that close to them at Wegmans

That stalk is most impressive.  Saturday when we were chasing that Tom, Phade looked at me and asked "do you think you can crawl?"  And he was dead serious.  My immediate thought was, do I have to?  Wait a minute, is this Deliverance hazing?

• Like 3

Finally have a minute so I'll tell the mornings story.

Hunted until 6:30 on my property down the road from my house and not a gobble so I walked home and headed out to the field a few hundred yards behind my house. From the top of the hill I could see him strutting with 2 hens out in my green field on the other side of the ravine. I watched for a minute and for whatever reason they went from feeding to walking towards the NW corner of the field. Knowing I didn't have much time I took of running to try to cut them off, got around the corner of the field took a knee tucked in the bushes and waited a couple minutes and they never showed up and I could only see 25yds because I was in the low spot. Slowly stood up and could see him 80yds from me still strutting now with 3 hens. They weren't heading my way any more so I got back in the ditch and worked my way towards them as far as I could. Slowly stood up and he was in the same spot but now 60yds away so I watched them for 5 minutes and could tell they weren't in a hurry to go anywhere. The grass was 6-10" tall so I knew it would be nearly impossible but it didn't look like they were coming my way so I started after them on my belly only moving a little at a time dragging my body with my elbows when the wind blew. The problem was while I was crawling I couldn't see them so I just worked my way in their direction inches at a time. After what felt like forever I stopped and laid there for a couple minutes and pushed myself up as slow as possible and he was close, really close but I had both hands on the ground and the gun under me so no shot. Big gust of wind came and I laid back down and started trying to get my gun up and ready when I saw a turkeys leg then head feet from me it was a hen and she was just eating as I laid with my face buried in the ground. After pecking on my shotgun barrel she must have saw her deflection in my scope because she pecked at the lens a couple times and then turned away from me and that's when I made my move. Popped up to my knees and let him have it. He never twitched the 2 3/4" 6 shot heavy game load blew a hole through him. He was about 3 steps from me when I shot and 4 steps from me where he died. I think the concussion from the muzzle blast gave the hen that was closest to me a concussion because she stumbled around for a little bit before she was able to run away and there's no way I hit her.

It was an awesome hunt done just the way I like it close quarters, no calls, no decoys, no blinds just me against them on their turf. This is the way I love to hunt and hope I can keep killing them like this for many more years. Now I have waisted enough days chasing these stupid birds back to fishing I go. Have fun everyone and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 14