2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

Every time I go out early I get nothin. Not a whisper of Turkey activity today. Tomorrow I hit the woods at 9:30...maybe even 10:30. Those days are always more productive. Did have a call-off with the neighbor above me with the nice field. Even he gave up by 8am. All the birds where in Turkey Feather's field it seems! 

Edited by Papist

4DE224AF-3850-46C2-A7A7-52CE23455523_zpshugzk5ye.jpg

Not the greatest picture of me holding the bird. I was by myself. Had to jam my phone between some tree branches to hold it still and set the 10 second timer and run back to the bird haha.

What a awesome hunt though. I walked back to the edge of the farm fields but took a wide approach and stalked up to it very slowly in case they were already out in the field. I got up to the edge of the fence with a blown over tree in front of me as some cover. There was a nice rock to sit on which was nice and comfy. I sat down and waited about 5 mins before doing a few clucks and yelps on my pot call. My 2nd set of yelps and I get cut off by two gobbles about 2-300 yards to the south of me. The wind picked up so I waited for the wind to calm down a bit before calling again, maybe 2 mins. I got 2 seconds into a couple yelps and the two gobblers let loose and were only 100 yards away at this time on the other side of the field and headed my way in a trot! I was like "oh sh*t". Quickly pull my face mask down, no time to get gloves back on. Pick the gun up and watch them gobble, Trot and strut right to me. I waited till they got real close, like 4 yards away from the barrel close haha! Rolled the first one and pulled on the second one but sent a bunch of shot into a tree/bush in front of me. The 2nd one flopped but got up and took off running. I was gonna go for a 3rd shot but by the time I got on him he already ran 40 yards and took off flying into the sky. Had to jump through the electric fence, damn does this side of the field have some juice flowing to it!

Hunt was over 5 mins after sitting down. The walk took 5 times as long haha! I told my wife the new boots she bought me at gander mountain was the good luck charm I needed after getting the slip several times this year already by this flock.

One down and one to go. I cut the fan off this one and I'm gonna make a nice fan mount with the beard. Beard by the way is 10 and 3/8 inches! The spurs weren't anything crazy long though. Didn't weigh him but I'd figure around 20 pounds. What a great morning!!

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

What a awesome hunt though. I walked back to the edge of the farm fields but took a wide approach and stalked up to it very slowly in case they were already out in the field. I got up to the edge of the fence with a blown over tree in front of me as some cover. There was a nice rock to sit on which was nice and comfy. I sat down and waited about 5 mins before doing a few clucks and yelps on my pot call. My 2nd set of yelps and I get cut off by two gobbles about 2-300 yards to the south of me. The wind picked up so I waited for the wind to calm down a bit before calling again, maybe 2 mins. I got 2 seconds into a couple yelps and the two gobblers let loose and were only 100 yards away at this time on the other side of the field and headed my way in a trot! I was like "oh sh*t". Quickly pull my face mask down, no time to get gloves back on. Pick the gun up and watch them gobble, Trot and strut right to me. I waited till they got real close, like 4 yards away from the barrel close haha! Rolled the first one and pulled on the second one but sent a bunch of shot into a tree/bush in front of me. The 2nd one flopped but got up and took off running. I was gonna go for a 3rd shot but by the time I got on him he already ran 40 yards and took off flying into the sky. Had to jump through the electric fence, damn does this side of the field have some juice flowing to it!

Hunt was over 5 mins after sitting down. The walk took 5 times as long haha! I told my wife the new boots she bought me at gander mountain was the good luck charm I needed after getting the slip several times this year already by this flock.

One down and one to go. I cut the fan off this one and I'm gonna make a nice fan mount with the beard. Beard by the way is 10 and 3/8 inches! The spurs weren't anything crazy long though. Didn't weigh him but I'd figure around 20 pounds. What a great morning!!

congrats. just a heads up though, NY is a 1 bird a day bag limit.

• Like 2

I do every year...My best turkey blind is the original card board box blind, which I haven't gone to yet this year but will tomorrow. I think most the birds I have ever taken were either from a tree stand in the fall or a raised covered blind...I use them when it's raining mostly or if the bugs a very bad. Which happens to be both cases this year...today it was just too dang cold to sit on the ground. Why do you ask?

certainly not the most egregious of violations and one I'm not sure I fully understand or would blow anybody in on. Just good to educate. Similar to deer harvest limits... What does it matter if I kill 2 bucks with a bow and skip gun? What does it matter if I kill 2 birds the same day or separate days? Dead is dead right?

my guess would be something about letting others have a chance, but I think it's crap.

• Like 1

congrats. just a heads up though, NY is a 1 bird a day bag limit.

Hahaha damn I'm a dumbass. How the hell did I forget that!? Hunting lots of states is awesome, except for the huge variations in laws it's easy to forget simple ones like that. Good thing I missed!
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, growalot said:

I do every year...My best turkey blind is the original card board box blind, which I haven't gone to yet this year but will tomorrow. I think most the birds I have ever taken were either from a tree stand in the fall or a raised covered blind...I use them when it's raining mostly or if the bugs a very bad. Which happens to be both cases this year...today it was just too dang cold to sit on the ground. Why do you ask?

it's unusual, so just curious.