2017 Live from the turkey woods thread

turkeyfeathers

14 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Hahaha damn I'm a dumbass. How the hell did I forget that!? Hunting lots of states is awesome, except for the huge variations in laws it's easy to forget simple ones like that. Good thing I missed!

no worries, my intent was only to educate. congrats again.

• Like 1

Hahaha damn I'm a dumbass. How the hell did I forget that!? Hunting lots of states is awesome, except for the huge variations in laws it's easy to forget simple ones like that. Good thing I missed!

It happens! Good thing you missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So your post had me going to check out the OCBB. That's where I should have been hunting I think...the woods are just tore up back there!...lets hope they are toms and hens as in past years....reset windows checked everything out cleared the trail in. Had the top of a maple tree come down...of course right across the trail so I know to watch my step in that area...so many 3ft maple saplings...the corn field has really cleared the area of deer...but there has always been some favorite turkey food in there during the spring...I'm not really sure what. So many wild flowers...I'm sure bugs and the hunting camp next door grew some special turkey grass on their place before we moved here...it has migrated with the wind up on to us.

• Like 1

I took my son out this morning and we doubled up! Not much of a story but here it is. We got set up with two hen decoys out in a corner of a big field. As soon as we sat down the birds staring gobbling. They hit the ground and went into the field behind us. A few calls from me and they were on their way. Five came in and 3 left. My son knocked his down first and I crumpled mine up when he was coming back to jump on the first one. My son is definitely my good luck charm! My son's bird has a 9 1/2 inch beard and mine has a 9 inch beard. 1 inch spurs on both. Both weighed about 22 lbs.

6fe0647c1895a1aa00d69c52b40afb7d.jpg5722ab60bb810c96f434b7a18b34fdcb.jpg3e1364b0610a7a1f296736b6646eb013.jpg

• Like 11

Well it almost worked...dang 4:30a.m. and it was dang bright out there..We had some winds  last night so the trail clearing was for naught. Of course a maple snapped off 30 feet from the blind blocking a large area from movement between the CBB and the ridge edge brush blind. I get in snap, crackle and pop ,set up feeder and alert hens and settle in...15 mins later I hear faint clucks...so I do a few tree yelps and purrs...Goggle, gobble, gobble.....gobble, gobble, gobble...It made me jump because they were roosted behind the blind and there were two of them one about 30 yards away and they other 40-50.. This went on until about 6  and once in a while I'd cluck and purr until they flew down. The farthest one landed first about 75 yrds out and the other, closer one, flew off towards him. He was 60 or so yards out and immediately went into full strut...but wouldn't move...I know they both saw the decoys for I put them on two raised areas of ground in front of the blind. The 2nd bird was way bigger in body size  but the first bird was way more cautious. he kept his feathers tight and he stayed in a low profile never coming closer then where he landed.. The other I could hear spit drumming and he was dragging his wing tips and both were gobbling. He slowly, VERY SLOWLY got to 47 yrds and his buddy had had enough. Dead calm so no movement from the hens and they never took their eyes off of them. Mr strutter then dropped his tail and froze..his buddy gave a loud cluck and turned walking away...he hit the ridge stand and started gobbling again all the way down the hill. In the mean time Mr. strut went in to strut one more time, turned and walked away as he dropped his tail. He meandered around on the edge of the ridge before disappearing and joining his buddy in gobbling again...Their last gobbles had them headed to our place across the road....I had tried different soft calls and even got out the slate so I could sound like 2 birds...I think it was the Maple tree top that helped to hang him up..He almost went around it then turned back...came back and turned again before stopping. I glassed him ,not the other and his beard dragged on the ground almost...fairly thick too...I am setting up a camera where I have seen scratching... will try again tomorrow had a great time. 

Now after all that I had 7 very pregnant doe and 2 yearling come in and feed around in the woods...looked like 2 different groups and 4 were big roman nosed doe...Our woods are covered in that grass I mentioned but it's 2 different kinds,,,ones in seed already both are clump grass..Wow we will have some deer this year!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

Yes I did...should have been hunting there all along..I ALWAYS hunt opening day there but not this year. There just wasn't any turkey sign back there then..

So surprised by the deer..they were all hanging pretty low too...I actually thought one may drop around 80 yards out in the tallest grass...she certainly had a need to clean herself...a lot...lol

1 hour ago, Shadd Rapp said:

I took my son out this morning and we doubled up! Not much of a story but here it is. We got set up with two hen decoys out in a corner of a big field. As soon as we sat down the birds staring gobbling. They hit the ground and went into the field behind us. A few calls from me and they were on their way. Five came in and 3 left. My son knocked his down first and I crumpled mine up when he was coming back to jump on the first one. My son is definitely my good luck charm! My son's bird has a 9 1/2 inch beard and mine has a 9 inch beard. 1 inch spurs on both. Both weighed about 22 lbs.

6fe0647c1895a1aa00d69c52b40afb7d.jpg5722ab60bb810c96f434b7a18b34fdcb.jpg3e1364b0610a7a1f296736b6646eb013.jpg

A double for you and your son! That is awesome!!!!  Congratulations to you both!  Great birds too!  Nice job!  Memories to last a life time, made this morning.

• Like 1

I went to check a camera in an orchard this morning and there was a bird gobbling pretty good about 150 yards down into the woods. I guess I should have had my gear with me in the truck!

Well I messed up.  I've been watching a slammer of a tom. Horse tail for a beard, 1 1/2 hooks. He never roost's in the same spot two nights in a row, and doesn't follow a set pattern wherever he roosts. Never with another tom, even when with hens. Never gobbles on evening roost, gobbles sparingly in the morning.  Shuts up when on deck. Had him fold up like a bad poker hand after calling to him. 

Well today I'm watching two Tom's head my way. Field is too tall to see any Spurs. Walked by at 30 yrds. Let em pass. 80 yrds out they hit a spot on the edge that had no grass. Grabbed the binos, and yep.. the big boy fooled me by tagging along with another tom.  

Didn't bother calling. Let em walk out of sight and tried to circle him, but never seen him again.  Oh well.  I'll keep trying to ambush him.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear of some successful hunts! I am unfortunately having no such luck! It's my second year hunting the same property fairly close to Greek peak. Didn't hear a bird last year and so far it's the same thing this year!  I'd let myself get sprayed by a skunk right now if it meant I'd hear some turkeys gobbling haha 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cderst said:

Glad to hear of some successful hunts! I am unfortunately having no such luck! It's my second year hunting the same property fairly close to Greek peak. Didn't hear a bird last year and so far it's the same thing this year!  I'd let myself get sprayed by a skunk right now if it meant I'd hear some turkeys gobbling haha 

Keep at it! Took quite a few years for me to finally connect with a spring gobbler. I usually called in one bird every year, but I always seemed to mess it up. Called in a few real nice ones. The two things that helped me the most was practicing calling, as well as getting in the woods at least 30 min before sunrise. 

• Like 1

Well let's see if I still have it. My daughter has been begging me to bring her out with me so yesterday I set up a blind for us let's see if i can remember how to call and sit still. I think she is better about sitting still than I am, I have saw birds in this field 4 out of the last 5 days so I have a good feeling.

• Like 3