Times Have Changed HUH?

Geno C

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957  vs. 2010

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then  pulls into the school

parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun  rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his 

car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2010 - School goes into lock down,  FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail

and never sees his truck or gun again.  Counselors called in for

traumatized students and  teachers. 

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after  school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end  up

buddies.

2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest  both Johnny

and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled  even

though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be  still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the  Principal's office and given a good paddling

by the Principal. He then  returns to class, sits still and does not

disrupt class again.

2010 -  Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He

is then  tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the

government  because Jeffrey has a disability. 

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a  window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a

whipping with his  belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to 

college and becomes a successful businessman.

2010 - Billy's dad is  arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to

foster care and joins a gang.  The state psychologist is told by Billy's

sister that she remembers being  abused herself and their dad goes to

prison. Billy's mom has an affair with  the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some  aspirin to school..

1957  - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out  on the smoking

dock

2010 -  The police are called and Mark is expelled  from school for drug

violations. His car is then searched for drugs and  weapons. 

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957  -  Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to

college.

2010 -    Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear

nationally  explaining that teaching English as a requirement for

graduation is racist.  ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state

school system and Pedro's  English teacher.  English is then banned from

core curriculum. Pedro is  given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing

lawns for a living because he  cannot speak English. 

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover  firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts

them in a model airplane paint  bottle and blows up a red ant bed. 

1957 - Ants die.

2010 -  ATF,  Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is

charged with  domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --

and all siblings are  removed from their home and all computers are

confiscated. Johnny's dad is  placed on a terror watch list and is never

allowed to fly  again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess  and scrapes his knee He is

found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him  to comfort him.

1957 -  In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on  playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. 

She faces 3 years in State Prison.  Johnny undergoes 5 years of 

therapy.   

I rember going to highschool inthe 80's and  most guys had a sheath knife on their belt, use to take our bow and 22 to school to go hunting behind school at the end of the day not to mention rifle club in the basement ...not sure what happened between then and now... but i think that society is on a downward spiral.....

I rember going to highschool inthe 80's and  most guys had a sheath knife on their belt, use to take our bow and 22 to school to go hunting behind school at the end of the day not to mention rifle club in the basement ...not sure what happened between then and now... but i think that society is on a downward spiral.....

I feel like a 3rd rate citizen in my own country. It's not the country we grew up in. An with this administration I feel it will get even worse. It seems the only people in this country that have rights are the minority, illegals and people on the dole. The majority is not in charge any more they just pay for all the people with their hand out. I wonder if America could turn into Egypt and people revolt because the Gov't has abandoned their rights and has stopped listening to it's people.

Dave

"Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after  school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end  up

buddies.

2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest  both Johnny

and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled  even

though Johnny started it."

Ohhh dont worry man, I almost had assult charges at 13 or 14! the kid grabbed me first and i knocked him out with a nice square hit to the jaw and the cops tried to get me for assult charges. That didnt fly only because 2 teachers watched it all go down and i was defending myself, i told the cop, if i didnt hit him he was going to hit me and it came down to me hitting the ground or him and i didnt want it to be me hitting the ground. Times are chaning. and i am afraid not for the better either...  :P 

Robinson, if the teacher had tried to break you up they could have been charged with assault. We have to call school security if a child hits/kicks a student or a fellow teacher, even they are afraid to get involved. We live in a litigious society and everyone should watch their P's and Q's.

Robinson, if the teacher had tried to break you up they could have been charged with assault. We have to call school security if a child hits/kicks a student or a fellow teacher, even they are afraid to get involved. We live in a litigious society and everyone should watch their P's and Q's.

Seem like nothing ever happens to those who are involved in the fight.

Dave

It's a sad state of affairs...Back when I was in school, a teacher or the principal would of kicked the snot out of both antagonists, and then they REALLY would have caught hell when they got home and thier parents learned what they did..

Nowadays the teachers and administrators don't dare TOUCH the rotten little bastards and the parents are just DYING for a chance to sue somebody..

Sorry.. This is why I don't often post on legal/ethical/political subjects.. I just get too UPSET  with what is going on these days... 

I better have a beer and take my nap... ::) .....I'm glad I'm getting old and won't have to put up with such BS much longer...

Don't forget that today if a teacher tries to break up a fight, they may find themselves facing a knife or worse.

It's amazing how back when I was younger, you might get into a bit of a scrap occasionally. Most of that would involve a whole lot of wrestling, pushing and shoving, and maybe a punch or two might be thrown. Today kids let their weapons do the fighting for them. Also if they do actually just fight without weapons, the effort is to kill or maim whoever they are fighting with.

Doc

I've been a HS teacher for 18 years and about 5 years ago I had to break up a pretty bad fight. I just happened to be walking past the cafeteria and I heard screaming. I ran in and saw this one boy on top of another and just pounding him in the face. I did think twice, but I couldn't just stand by and watch. I tackled the boy on top and took a couple of blows to the head before I was able to get him wrapped up.

After a hearing, the boy was suspended for the rest of the year and not allowed back in the school.

Five years later, the bad a$$ kids in my school are still very respectful to me and give me a wide berth in the halls...I guess word gets around from year to year. I have to laugh at that, but I did what I thought was the right thing to do, even though I jeopardized my job to do so.

About 10 years ago I was coaching a summer lacrosse program and a drunk disgruntled parent jumped me after the game while I was walking my 2 young boys to my truck.. all I could do was react ... and long story short.. it didn't work out so well for the parent... he ended up in the hospital. A week later I was charged with  assault and after about 6 months the judge finally threw out the case after looking at all the evidence and statements from all the other parents that I was just defending myself.

A few months or so later the local sherrif showed up at my door and asked me to surrender my pistols... even after being proven innocent he said that he had to take them because Albany had the charge still in the computer.. it took 4 months and another understanding judge to get my pistols back. The system worked, but man it took a while!

I can't tell you how many times I got hit in the back of my head for holding a girls hand between classes in the hall by my princibles school ring, dam that hurt! We couldn't wear blue jeans to school either.this was in the late 60's! Now they wear pj's & flip flops. I say we need to get the old ways back.

About 10 years ago I was coaching a summer lacrosse program and a drunk disgruntled parent jumped me after the game while I was walking my 2 young boys to my truck.. all I could do was react ... and long story short.. it didn't work out so well for the parent... he ended up in the hospital. A week later I was charged with  assault and after about 6 months the judge finally threw out the case after looking at all the evidence and statements from all the other parents that I was just defending myself.

A few months or so later the local sherrif showed up at my door and asked me to surrender my pistols... even after being proven innocent he said that he had to take them because Albany had the charge still in the computer.. it took 4 months and another understanding judge to get my pistols back. The system worked, but man it took a while!

Seems like such a headache man! holy....

i cant believe they took your guns, luckily your were able to get them back

Headache would be  mild term to discribe it  ;)  I was fortunate to have two good judges that saw exactly what had happened and realized I was just defending myself.  I forgot to mention that the individual also tried to file a civil suite against me... but when I filed a counter suite he back off and I dropped it.

The judge actually said.." I have read all the witness statements and here by order Mr. Servello's pistols be returned IMMEDIATELY!" He then asked if I would mind waiting until the following morning so that the paperwork could be processed and I said yes... I had them in my hands by 9am the next morning.

How about scenario 9 where:

1957 school teacher has young, impressionable students and does NOT sleep with them.

2005-2011 school teacher repeatedly sleeps with students while being paid with tax dollars like this two hundred-something.  http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=39783 And that's just the women!

In our local school a couple years ago we had a teacher giving booze to one of his students who he was also messing around with.  Then one of his teacher buddies went to the girl to try and get her to lie to the cops.  The first idiot lost his teaching license but was allowed to resign (should've been fired) and the second idiot was supposed to lose his teaching license back at the end of '09 but according to seethroughny.net he was still paid $43-grand in 2010.  And this is what my $7000 in school taxes goes to pay for?!

How about scenario 9 where:

1957 school teacher has young, impressionable students and does NOT sleep with them.

2005-2011 school teacher repeatedly sleeps with students while being paid with tax dollars like this two hundred-something.  http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=39783 And that's just the women!

In our local school a couple years ago we had a teacher giving booze to one of his students who he was also messing around with.  Then one of his teacher buddies went to the girl to try and get her to lie to the cops.  The first idiot lost his teaching license but was allowed to resign (should've been fired) and the second idiot was supposed to lose his teaching license back at the end of '09 but according to seethroughny.net he was still paid $43-grand in 2010.  And this is what my $7000 in school taxes goes to pay for?!

Oh please, the occasional teacher sleeping with students was going on when I was in high school, and long before that. You just never heard about it. Probably half of the local type things that happen now days that get all kinds of attention only get that kind of attention now because of the easy access to information.

• 2 weeks later...

WNY, we also had one in ours...by the way it was an all boys school....and she was HOT! Didn't get to go there myself..haha, although there were always the rumors about it and the guy's who did.....different era back then although not too far removed......I bet Eddie and Doc have some good stories!!!