Good Luck To All The Youth Turkey Hunters!

grampy

Well that was quick.....alarm set for 305. Already up at 249 lol.

Out in the garage now going over everything to make sure I'm not forgetting something. Picking J-Mark and his son up at a local Inn down in town at 4. Coffees at cumbys then off to the state lands for the first morning. Hoping his son gets to hear a bunch of gobblers wake up and make the woods thunder with gobbles!

Good luck out there today everyone! Be safe and tell those kids to shoot straight!

• Like 3

I'm having coffee and making us sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. He's up like a trooper! And smiling at 3:30! Hoping to hear some birds from the roost. Then let the games begin! Good luck and keep safe to all heading out. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of smiling faces later!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Turkey gods are not upon us this morning as daughter still sick. She was very disappointed but what can you do. Just hope she feels better and maybe we can give it a spin tomorrow. Good luck everyone. Nice morning out. 

We got this for you bunny! 

• Like 1

Well about 30 mins ago 3 big Jakes about 10feet apart popped out from our right along the cut field and worked their way toward us. I told my son to get ready, and he picks up my 12ga and shoulders it. I call them in to about 40-45 yards but they kept moving yo our left. I call out to stop them, He takes aim, shoots .....and two fly off, the third which was closest jumps up and then casually walks away into the tree line in front of us. We get out of the blind and go to the spot where it was and we see feathers. We follow it into the woods up a hill with blow downs to see if it started to flop. Suddenly we see it fly off a tree and over into the other field. At that point we head back to the blind and grab our gear and head in for breakfast and a cup of Joe. So far Turkeys - 1 my son - 0. We still have tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Man we were so close!!!!

Walked up in nice and early and spooked one out of the tree on the edge of the small field we setup in. It was well before light when we kicked the one out of the tree. Around first light they started gobbling all over the place. It was great to hear so much gobbling. As it got lighter and they flew down, they went silent. Really cloudy here and a bit of a chill in the air so I'm not surprised by them doing that. After making a move and getting one to gobble again the chase was on. He moved off down the hill towards my truck. J-marks son was getting a bit cold at this point so we were about to call it a morning, but when we got to my truck the turkeys were all in the road about 80 yards down the road! We decided to hop in the truck and go up past them and then jump in the woods and see if we could call them in.

Got parked a 1/4 mile or so up and quick walked 100 yards down in when I hit the slate call and two gobblers light right up 100 yards away or so. Scrambled to get setup quick and hit the calls. Worked them right in and had a few of the hens come within 20 yards and walk right on past us. I figured, awesome, the gobblers will follow the hens right up to us. Nope. They hung up 60-80 yards out with a few more hens and gobbled their heads off and strutted around for a good 20 mins or so. The the other hens walked off finally and the gobblers stayed and began to work towards us. They got to maybe 40 yards out and stopped. It was ALMOST in gun range for Marks son to take a shot, but just a bit too much brush to get a clean shot. Those birds needed to move 10 more feet closer on the other side of the saplings and we would of had a bird down right now. They strutted around for a bit and eventually worked their way out of sight and disappeared silently. Man was it a close one! Great action though and I'm glad Mark and his son got to see it and hear it.

We will be back at it tomorrow morning! Thinking we will try sitting in the ground blind I set up behind my house. Hoping tomorrow's nicer weather will bring us some better luck!

Congrats to everyone who killed today and good luck to everyone else tomorrow!

• Like 5

Three set ups zero turkeys. Saw turkeys in each set up but didn't hear one gobble all morning! After getting up from the first set, I bumped one that I'm sure was coming to us. Dang it! Just couldn't pull them away from the hens. Tried getting the hens riled up and did, but never got them closer than 75 yards. We had a great time together though. And we're not giving up! But I may be handicapping him with my turkey skills........lol

• Like 5

What a difference a day can make! Yesterday, not one gobble. This morning they are going nuts! But unfortunately, Zac twisted his ankle, trying to beat out an infield hit in last nights baseball game. ( still getting used to wearing metal cleats)  He's got some swelling and he's limping a bit, and will start today's game behind the plate. But no hunting today. The birds are on our property so will still be there next weekend. Was hoping to get it done this weekend before his baseball schedule ramps up, playing for two teams, and my scheduled surgery on the 4th. 

Congratulations to the youth hunters who have gotten birds! Some real nice ones! Love seeing those pic's! And good luck to the ones still out there!

• Like 1