Show your property/hunting spot

Tons of great ideas, posts, and experience but what would help me is understanding why people setup there hunting areas certain ways. A lot of great outdoorsman can provide awesome new ideas that only the internet can blossom.

32 acres clear cut 4 years ago. I own plot 1,2,3 in the picture below. 2 miles down a dirt road so plenty secluded low hunting pressure.  I planted a perrinal in plot3 to draw the deer to the front of the property. Plot1 is an annual high growing as it doesn't have a ton of cover and I figure close to my cabin it would be great for bow season. Plot two I haven't decided what to do with so some Sunn hemp Sun flowers are my thought adding nitrogen setting up next year for corn. I'm 31 and have been hunting for 26 years from Alaska Texas NY Pa South Carolina but never an advanced hunter so reading all the input of fellow hunters has been humbling. Hope to learn a lot from this thread.

Screenshot_20170509-110132.png

Screenshot_20170509-104737.png

Screenshot_20161222-231212.png

Edited by corydd7
  • Like 1

The land with the double line boundary is my property where I live with the surrounding properties outlined. The little V's are stand sites. Some have been moved but almost all are still there. 

Thayer Rd Google Image.jpg

Edited by nybuckboy

About 3/4 of the deer I have killed, over the last 35 years, were on our farm.   They all had one thing in common - stomachs that were full of corn.   I vividly remember the first deer that I saw my dad kill, while I was still too young to hunt.   He shot the fat 6-pointer, thru the lungs as it stood broadside, in the middle of the lane that runs to the back of the farm.   After taking the slug, the buck ran about 100 yards into a corn field.   What I remember most, is the two rows painted red, and dripping with blood, right up to where he piled up.   When dad gutted him, he slit open the stomach and showed me how it was full of corn.   That was the year after my grandad passed away.  When he died, we sold the cattle, most of the farm equipment and rented out the land.  The renter planted about 30 acres of corn that year.

My first few years hunting here were hit and miss, usually getting a buck every other year or so.  They all had corn in their stomachs.  The neighbors planted it, but our renter stuck with hay after that first year.   There must not have been much money in that, and after a couple years without getting paid, grandma gave him the boot.   After a few years, I bought and old tractor and bushhog to keep things mowed.  I let some of the less productive land grow into brushy cover.   The hunting remained so-so, until I bought myself a corn planter.    

These days, the hunting is great as long as I have some standing corn in the fields.  It don't take much.  I have learned how to make the most out of the least, which involves taking out a lot of coons and a few other tricks.  Last season, we took (6) deer in and around 4 acres of corn.  The reason corn is so much more effective than any other food plot, is because it provides carbs and cover, at a time when the deer desperately need both.  No other plot has that combination.  

Deer will feed at night in clover, wheat or soybean plots, but they will hang in that corn all day.   Does and their groups will bed in there.   My favorite time to hunt the edges of the those corn plots is around Veterans day, which corresponds to the peak of the rut.   At that time, there are three things to draw in the bucks: Hot does, food, and cover.   All that adds up to a nice full freezer, and maybe a wall decoration or two as a bonus.   Good luck setting up your place.  It sounds like you are on the right track. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

How large of any area is that?

The farm is 3,000 acres , the bottom part of that pic. Is neighboring farms, most of the farm that I hunt is not shown in that pic .i only hunt a small,part of,it now about 80 acres surrounded by a ton of crops .which is in center of pic .

its my wife's cousin farm , we own 120 acres off to,the right in the pic. But I don't hunt it .

We have my hunting at home 73 acres, camp for the guys 68 + permission on adjoining 50,,. Only I work our property camp grows natural.  I work mostly 38  out of the 73. I rotate 10 planting areas. In those I have 15 plots . I do small plots and trail plots .I have so many different mast trees  to feed them all year and 200 red natual growing oak. What dont I grow...I started with all the things everyone said wouldn't work and many things  guys laughed at me for. Now you see a lot of it in commercial seeds. Go figure...lol. I have 35+stands, 4 raised blinds, a dozen or so brush blinds,4 pop ups and 2 climbers. Springs streams and a swamp,that area is left alone other then stands. Watering tubs near all plots. Hundreds of yards of brush pile fencing.

Edited by growalot

1st picture.. I own 17 acres(Camp) 8P which includes a small farm house with water and electric, and an beautiful old Barn. I have basically exclusive right to 2 properties that bud up to us. One property is 33 acres, and the other is around 125 acres. I have 5 food plots spread out across the 3 properties. This hill is managed pretty good, minus a few surrounding properties that will fill any tag any way possible. 

2nd picture...My family also owns 150 acres in 8F ... I dont hunt this as much, I leave it for my brother, cousins and uncles to hunt. 

CAMP food plot LAYOUT ...ETC.png

Candgsa rd.PNG

No prperty is a cookie cutter..good plots.may not be the answer.. Over 200 acres that use to be fallow field by me are.now. planted into corn.. They lost a lot of cover

I've let several of my.plots go fallow.. Turkeys use it for meeting and deer eat the corns growing and bed in it.. 

I'm still.lacking some thermal cover but it's growing 2000 spruce and for.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, G-Man said:

No prperty is a cookie cutter..good plots.may not be the answer.. Over 200 acres that use to be fallow field by me are.now. planted into corn.. They lost a lot of cover

I've let several of my.plots go fallow.. Turkeys use it for meeting and deer eat the corns growing and bed in it.. 

I'm still.lacking some thermal cover but it's growing 2000 spruce and for.

I can appreciate theres no correct answer. You kinda need to do homework find out what your neighbors do and what your properties needs are.  Needs probably change on a yearly basis so be ready to adapt. 

Gman- Our property we bought in 2008. 120 acres.  It was mostly fallow fields at that time.  over last two years we lease for hay after clearing the fallow fields. One field is 30 acres, one 6, a 4, lastly a small one acre field.  Personally I think the hunting has changed for the better.  I can say hands down its attracted more Turkey. Its easier to hunt the fringes of the field for deer, before you could never see them or they would never make it to the stand.

• Like 1

Well you created hard edge. Done between bedding and staging or feed areas properly you can make the deerwalk by your specfic stand sites.. For me hunting became harder as the farmer doesn't pick the corn till last days of muzzleloader.. 30 acres of corn can hide a lot of deer and you won't push them out of it.. I have placed ponds and created bedding where it's advantageous to me to get To and hunt stands.. We do well her reverting 18 deer a year.. Usually 10 doe. Rest buck... 

• Like 2

Gman thats pretty cool.  Remember awhile back you said to trim field edge trees to give birds area to fly up. Ive done this and noticed more birds roosting on the property. Every year since 2008 ive been adding pines.  No pines were on property and now my first trees are taller than me.