Coyotes At Work

Steve D

When New Jersey lost their bear hunting is was legal. When California lost it's mountain lion hunting it was legal. Legal and illegal means nothing in his points. The antis are vocal and much more so than the hunting population. The ones on the fence are the ones most influenced by anything they deem offensive. 

Small tokens tossed at the Antis to shut them up. Hunting in general will never go anywhere. There's too much money in it. Most states generate over a billion dollars each in economic revenue. Antis might be loud, but they don't pump out that kind of money flow. You can act like it's gonna happen all ya want, but it never will
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Small tokens tossed at the Antis to shut them up. Hunting in general will never go anywhere. There's too much money in it. Most states generate over a billion dollars each in economic revenue. Antis might be loud, but they don't pump out that kind of money flow. You can act like it's gonna happen all ya want, but it never will

The antis are not my concern. It is the fence sitters in the middle that make up a majority of the population. Bottom line, actions like the one you are putting on  a pedestal make hunters look bad to that segment of the population. I don't think hunting will be going anywhere soon, just for the reasons you listed. I can see it becoming so restrictive and over regulated  that is is a real PITA to take part in.  You say they were small crumbs. I guess they would be if you didn't take part in that portion of the sport. 

The hunting that is safe is deer hunting, not just because of the money it generates. It serves the interests of a lot of people who like wildlife but do not hunt. It helps protect habitat for non-game species. I know people who lean anti--hunting but support deer hunting.

According to a source in DEC, the practice most at risk in NY is coyote hunting with hounds. He claims the single highest number of complaints they receive regards this type of hunting.

At times like this I miss Mike Rossi, he was self-righteous and could not suffer fools very well, but he took the long view and understood that hunters' image was really important for maintaining opportunity. I don't blame him for quitting the forum. He cared deeply about ethics. Some ideas and values that are apparently lost on some members. 

Edited by Curmudgeon
Typo

35 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

The hunting that is safe is deer hunting, not just because of the money it generates. It serves the interests of a lot of people who like wildlife but do not hunt. It helps protect habitat for non-game species. I know people who lean anti--hunting but support deer hunting.

According to a source in DEC, the practice most at risk in NY is coyote hunting with hounds. He claims the single highest number of complaints they receive regards this type of hunting.

At times like this I miss Mike Rossi, he was self-righteous and could not suffer fools very well, but he took the long view and understood that hunters' image was really important for maintaining opportunity. I don't blame him for quitting the forum. He cared deeply about ethics. Some ideas and values that are apparently lost on some members. 

I may be wrong but I think Mike got the boot before quitting the forum.  Mike was ok, as long as you agreed with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Mike Rossi did not quit the forum, he had a hissy fit, posted all kind of crap on here about John, so I called him on it and banned him. He asked to be allowed back after I did so. I told him no.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

They are awesome to watch. It's incredible how dang fast they are! A lot of trucks get wrecked doing it though haha. They haul ass through those fields, the time I went I thought I was gonna die!

Kinda says it all right there!  Gramp's hit the nail solid. Kinda like a couple others!

You have got to be a politician...Now I suppose that comment was to the posting of a video where dogs allegedly tore a coyote apart..I say that because I didn't click on it to view.  Now I LOVE the generalization and the vagueness of the above comment. You wanting All to read into this as the cause being poor, I hate this term, sportsmanship on the hunters for allowing and filming it. Though lets get back to reality in regards to your NYS DEC comment..that was and out of state video I believe. 

The majority of complaints in a laundry list of them would come down to TRESPASSING not animal cruelty. Now I could possibly be wrong but I'm thinking that is highly doubtful... Though I would concede if you could bring up actual #'s and not vague innuendos.

31 minutes ago, growalot said:

The majority of complaints in a laundry list of them would come down to TRESPASSING not animal cruelty. 

You are right.  but think about running game with dogs. The game and the dogs don't slow down the read the posted signs. The complaints about the dog hunters ARE trespassing complaints.