Black flies

sailinghudson25

51 minutes ago, sailinghudson25 said:

Been going up there for 5 years

Not sure where up there is but we have run into them real bad in the Adirondacks over 4th along with the deer flies. Don't know for sure but I suspect with the wet spring and the way they are around here there is a very good chance to run into them about anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems like the black-flies have abated somewhat, but the deer flies and house flies are terrible.

Wear bug spray and a head net are in order.

As of yet *thankfully* there seems to not be an infestation of ticks that are prevalent in areas of other than the Adirondack Park.   

• 7 months later...

I got a camp near moose river, big moose stillwater area.  I'd bring a head net just incase.  IF you get a warm spell, you may have some flies if your near water or wet areas.  Likely, you'll be ok.

May, june, July, around late august they calm down.  Remember, not only black flies but mosquitoes too.  Seems it begins with flies, goes to mosquitoes, then back to flies again.   I've even had some decent weekends in july.  Mainly late may and june is horrible time.  But, thats all on the weather.  I've seen them around in late april if it's warm enough.....

• 2 months later...

I have two arriving this week.

After hearing about how good they where on this forum and talking to@turkeyfeathers I just had to get them. They will be mostly used at the house and on our camping trips.

The one I ordered looks like a small thermos so that one can also be used to hit the woods with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk