Daughter leaves for college today.

First-light

My youngest will be leaving to Alfred state next weekend. It will be his last year, he's getting a 4 year RN degree in 3. He already has said he's going to go into geriatrics. He loves old people. In his clinicals he's been utilized to move some very large patients, he's 6-6 300 lbs...top of his class  kid has a bright future ahead of him...sounds like your daughter has things figured out and has some  good college times ahead of her. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 6

I have a picture of my daughter standing beside her '83 Buick,,Ready to leave for SUNY Potsdam...

That was basically the end of her life at home and the beginning of her life on her own..

Since then she has just come home to visit...<sigh>....

She is however, now a school librarian,  married to a gainfully employed young man ( computer tech) and has a 5 year old son who will be starting kindergarten this year..

• Like 9

Good luck to her, Burt!  My kids are not yet of college age, but I sure hope they don't decide to go away to school.  Lots of good schools close by down here.  I didn't go away for college, and I am glad I didn't, so my hope is that they choose the same, but who knows?

• Like 1

Congrats. It goes by so quickly. My only daughter is actually back home for her last 2 years of the 6 year Doctor of PT program. No Grad housing on the campus and she wanted to save her money(my money..lol) to get a jump on paying the loans back. It is nice having her home. only issue is now there are two women in the household and we all know how well that can work out. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Congrats. It goes by so quickly. My only daughter is actually back home for her last 2 years of the 6 year Doctor of PT program. No Grad housing on the campus and she wanted to save her money(my money..lol) to get a jump on paying the loans back. It is nice having her home. only issue is now there are two women in the household and we all know how well that can work out. 

LOL, you are outnumbered and majority rules.   Then again, you could have 7 sons and no daughters, but the wife could still override everyone with her veto power!! LOL

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Good luck to her, Burt!  My kids are not yet of college age, but I sure hope they don't decide to go away to school.  Lots of good schools close by down here.  I didn't go away for college, and I am glad I didn't, so my hope is that they choose the same, but who knows?

going away is one of the best things a young person can do. You need to go out on your own a little to understand what you really want in life. Going away doesn't have to be a plane ride but it shouldn't be next door. It's why i decided not to go to RIT. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

where is she going? my wife has her pt degree. 

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

going away is one of the best things a young person can do. You need to go out on your own a little to understand what you really want in life. Going away doesn't have to be a plane ride but it shouldn't be next door. It's why i decided not to go to RIT. 

So why would you be so terrified to send your daughters away to college as you stated in an earlier post?  That is sort of my point.  I don't discriminate between the sexes of my kids.  I think the sooner a young person has their head screwed on straight the better, so living at home might help them focus more on getting thru school than going wild while away at a college.  Both me an my wife lived at home while going to college,  and we hope our kids would do the same, especially since there are many good schools not too far away, but I guess the ultimate decision will be theirs.

Edited by steve863

I got hit with a curve my daughter who finished her junior high school year this past June is going to the local community college instead of he senior year of high school. She also just got back from visiting GA Southern, USC, Clemson and UNH. So she will be staying at home this year but still at college then graduates with her HS class. USC is topping her list so she will be a long way from home next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Our daughter went to Alfred University...I never worried once..but the whole having to move all belongings out of the dorm each year and most of it during Christmas was a serious pain...find a good storage place near by if you can...They collect as much stuff as if they owned a house!...lol

The grad school in PA was off campus living and she had one heck of an apartment...the bottom half of a old colonial This was a bit more scary.. she lived directly across from a Catholic church...but alone. Thank God the drive by shooting happened when she was home visiting, she found the broken window then the police retrieved the bullet from her porch ceiling...Nice!!! Really small PA town to...where that big flood happened that wiped out a valley town...

You can't keep them safe at home any better then away...you just need to give them the tools to maneuver through the rough stuff. Now shes a colleges chief of staff in the presidents  office.

Our Son went to Monroe community while working in Rochester and they paid for it. Had an apartment in Avon...he owned his own home by 21, not far from us and is working his own business part time while working Construction full time. He flew the nest much quicker than his big sister and was way less costly...lol 3000+ square foot home with 2 garages on 5 acres with a pond and both residential and business electrical service ...cost what one year of AU cost us.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, growalot said:

Our daughter went to Alfred University...I never worried once..but the whole having to move all belongings out of the dorm each year and most of it during Christmas was a serious pain...find a good storage place near by if you can...They collect as much stuff as if they owned a house!...lol

The grad school in PA was off campus living and she had one heck of an apartment...the bottom half of a old colonial This was a bit more scary.. she lived directly across from a Catholic church...but alone. Thank God the drive by shooting happened when she was home visiting, she found the broken window then the police retrieved the bullet from her porch ceiling...Nice!!! Really small PA town to...where that big flood happened that wiped out a valley town...

You can't keep them safe at home any better then away...you just need to give them the tools to maneuver through the rough stuff. Now shes a colleges chief of staff in the presidents  office.

Our Son went to Monroe community while working in Rochester and they paid for it. Had an apartment in Avon...he owned his own home by 21, not far from us and is working his own business part time while working Construction full time. He flew the nest much quicker than his big sister and was way less costly...lol 3000+ square foot home with 2 garages on 5 acres with a pond and both residential and business electrical service ...cost what one year of AU cost us.

I know that school. My uncle was a Professor there many moons ago. Dr. Wayne Brownell

her Gradmother and Great Grandmother were alumni there...I went to Aflred State

BTW Rob-c Is the nursing still taking place in Wellsville? That's where it was centered when I was there for Recreational landscape. We had to go over the AU and do their landscaping and tree planting for our field work...

So why would you be so terrified to send your daughters away to college as you stated in an earlier post?  That is sort of my point.  I don't discriminate between the sexes of my kids.  I think the sooner a young person has their head screwed on straight the better, so living at home might help them focus more on getting thru school than going wild while away at a college.  Both me an my wife lived at home while going to college,  and we hope our kids would do the same, especially since there are many good schools not too far away, but I guess the ultimate decision will be theirs.

It was a joke...

16 hours ago, growalot said:

her Gradmother and Great Grandmother were alumni there...I went to Aflred State

BTW Rob-c Is the nursing still taking place in Wellsville? That's where it was centered when I was there for Recreational landscape. We had to go over the AU and do their landscaping and tree planting for our field work...

No they do the nursing program at the main campus now , except the clinicals of course . they are actually one of the top rated nursing programs in the country. My son was telling us that out of 96 students 43 did not move on from last year. Very very tough major guess they say it's the hardest major at the college .once he gets established at a place , he's going for his masters and wants to be a nurse practitioner or nurse manager. Very proud of him,  he has figured this all out on his own and has asked for very little guidance from mom and dad. 

• Like 2

On August 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM, rob-c said:

No they do the nursing program at the main campus now , except the clinicals of course . they are actually one of the top rated nursing programs in the country. My son was telling us that out of 96 students 43 did not move on from last year. Very very tough major guess they say it's the hardest major at the college .once he gets established at a place , he's going for his masters and wants to be a nurse practitioner or nurse manager. Very proud of him,  he has figured this all out on his own and has asked for very little guidance from mom and dad. 

Good for him good . Nurse practitioner is a good gig , everyone tells my daughter ( (RN at Strong , suma cum laude UB ) to become one but she's done with school she says. Strong is pushing her to be a nurse manager , no way she says , way more hours , on call and so forth just not worth it .