The shot that counts

The_Real_TCIII

That's a stretch I don't even think I can see that far.. Nice shooting 
Thanks that's my max...i took advice from buckmaster and lollipop the pin at that distance seems to work really well. I just practice that far incase a follow up shot on a wounder deer is needed 40 is my max first shot range.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I shot my bow through a chrono yesterday and it was a sad 252fps. I'm done with CE Mayhems they're just too heavy IMO. I went back to my Victorys which come in 50.5 grains lighter (385.5 grains). My 20 yard pin didn't need to move but I had to move my 30 up. This should get me up over 270FPS. I wish it was 285, not sure I can get there. Rant over, back to TSC in the AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not sure what any of that means , but what would 30 fps gain you ?  I admit I'm clueless on all this numbers stuff, did not even know I as shooting light arrows till Moog told me so .

It gained me quite a bit of speed and margin for error guessing yardage. I like a somewhat heavy arrow but I don't want to be that slow, and I want to shoot 60lbs

On 9/2/2017 at 10:45 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

30 yards, yuck. Then I pulled the arrow and found that it's got several cracks (not why my shot was so high though lol). Inspect those arrows!7dda666237de8c784656c6c7e8b5009c.jpg4d4ebae71a820be0b2fa9bc832532863.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brings up a great point about inspecting your arrows when shooting. If you have ever seen an arrow break up as it is shot it doesn't take more than once to reinforce that routine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Brings up a great point about inspecting your arrows when shooting. If you have ever seen an arrow break up as it is shot it doesn't take more than once to reinforce that routine. 

the pictures you see online of shattered carbon fibers spiked through a hand doesn't do them any justice.  it really does look much more brutal and gross in real life.

• Like 2

Finally worked out my spine choice today after some paper and BH tuning...going with the .320 rather than the .390.  They both shoot and paper tuned well but the stiffer arrow was better.

Wrecked my 3D target in a session of BH shooting....I'll be taping and injecting with spray foam tomorrow before things get out of hand.  Got blisters pulling arrows from it today.

Anyway went out for an STC this evening 16 yards thru junk...first one with the Strickland Helix up front:

IMG_0121.PNGIMG_0122.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Finally worked out my spine choice today after some paper and BH tuning...going with the .320 rather than the .390.  They both shoot and paper tuned well but the stiffer arrow was better.

Wrecked my 3D target in a session of BH shooting....I'll be taping and injecting with spray foam tomorrow before things get out of hand.  Got blisters pulling arrows from it today.

Anyway went out for an STC this evening 16 yards thru junk...first one with the Strickland Helix up front:

IMG_0121.PNGIMG_0122.PNG

I find slightly (and I mean slightly) stiffer arrows group better.  I think they recover faster.  Nice shooting. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I find slightly (and I mean slightly) stiffer arrows group better.  I think they recover faster.  Nice shooting. 

Thanks. 

I love Easton but they sure did make it tough on me with a .320 and .390 as my choices.  I am ideally right in the middle of that deflection with a 27" arrow at 64lbs and 200 grains up front.  Very hard to tell the difference (between arrows and user error for margins) even with the broad head.

I guess the good news is that if I'm desperate I got 6 extra arrows.

image.jpgTonight in the basement........

Special note here:  I'm now shooting 4-6 arrows each morning and evening in the basement @ 13 feet.  Both of my shoulders and my right bicep are causing a fair amount of pain right now and I think it's slowly getting better. 

These two arrows are "on the money" as I was shooting for the tiny pieces of tissue just to the right edge of each shaft.  And no, I don't have a 13' setting on my QAD sight. :)

I'll be fine for the season, no sweat.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2