What is acceptable accuracy?

Buckmaster7600

at 250 yards. 

I'm talking about like a Caldwell leadsled, where the gun is strapped down and you simply turn the handles of the sled to align the scope with bullseye. Shots like this should be close to if not touching. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I practice out to 50-60 yards, only to make my 30 yard max hunting limit seem easier. From 50-60 it shows any imperfection in my form or equipment. So if I am getting good groups of 4 inches or so at 50- 60, I'm shooting 2 inch or smaller at 20 and 30 yards. I have let many decent deer walk, that were outside of my self imposed limit of 30 yards, did so a few times last year. Could I have made some of those 35 to 45 yard shots? Most likely yes, but all it would take is to make one bad shot, to not be worth it to me. 

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't have a set range.  If I am certain I will make a good shot, then the deer is in range.  If I am hoping I make a good shot, then the deer is not in range.  Game time decision  based on situation and resulting confidence.  I figure I shoot enough to rely on my gut.  And, I am not perfect when I am certain , but have a pretty darn good percentage of hitting my mark when I think I am.

I will also add, we set most stands to anticipate shots inside of 25yds so its rarely a no go issue for me.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm talking about like a Caldwell leadsled, where the gun is strapped down and you simply turn the handles of the sled to align the scope with bullseye. Shots like this should be close to if not touching. No?

have you tried it with yours?  Sounds easy enough doesn't it.  I am betting there aren't many less than 1/2MOA  guns in any of the site members safes. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

have you tried it with yours?  Sounds easy enough doesn't it.  I am betting there aren't many less than 1/2MOA  gins in any of the site members safes. 

I have at least one, but I need to find someone else to shoot it that accurately.  lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It's in the archery section so I believe the OP meant with a bow. 

O good ,I like archery better . I honestly didn't notice what section it was ,it was at the top of the page . The farthest I practice is 60 yards , I farthest shot I ever felt comfortable making on a deer was 42 yards . It was a primary shooting lane ,broadside shot that my dad and I were making at a target from that stand earlier in the summer. 

• Like 3

have you tried it with yours?  Sounds easy enough doesn't it.  I am betting there aren't many less than 1/2MOA  gins in any of the site members safes. 

I've only used the sled out to 200yds at a local range because that's the max. Shots are always close to if not touching. If I remember correctly we always had our rifles set for like 3" high at 100" so whenever we go out west we can pretty much dead on out to 300yds. I've killed deer out to 440yds with this setup. Though I'm sure it helps that the 7MM WBY Mag shoots for very straight, and luepold scopes are great.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I've only used the sled out to 200yds at a local range because that's the max. Shots are always close to if not touching. If I remember correctly we always had our rifles set for like 3" high at 100" so whenever we go out west we can pretty much dead on out to 300yds. I've killed deer out to 440yds with this setup. Though I'm sure it helps that the 7MM WBY Mag shoots for very straight, and luepold scopes are great.

That's a hell of a poke . Nice shooting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I get that. on that 7mm it is a .275" bullet. two side by side, touching, would have a center to center of .55" and divided by 2. very nice. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree with Biz.

At 200 yds;

Remington 700 .270 5 shots within 1-1.25" with usually 2-3 touching.

Savage 11 .243 5 shots within an inch consistently. (My most accurate rifle).

From a Lead Sled, but the non strap-down model. Shooting Federal Fusions in both. I still have to do my part.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

I tell you, I hear all these people these days claiming that their fancy new rifles can shoot into the same hole at incredible yardage, yet whenever I am at the range and I look over at their targets, their groups are no better than mine and in many cases worse.  And I sure as hell am not claiming that I can shoot 1 inch groups at 250 yards!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I tell you, I hear all these people these days claiming that their fancy new rifles can shoot into the same hole at incredible yardage, yet whenever I am at the range and I look over at their targets, their groups are no better than mine and in many cases worse.  And I sure as hell am not claiming that I can shoot 1 inch groups at 250 yards!!

C'mon over and shoot with me! We've got a 300 yard range out back. I'll cook the burgers, you bring the beer. For afterwards of course!

Seriously though, on a windless day and a lead sled it's not that hard to do as long as you do your part. Not all my groups are that tight but it's definitely do-able.

Range.jpg

• Like 1

It works in reverse of fish stories, stories of fish grow, groups shrink yada yada. I have one rifle that print under an inch at 200, .77" to be exact, (Remington 700 VS 26" heavy bbl, Nikon Monarch 5-20x44) was my best group. But it's not practical accuracy as far as hunting is concerned, unless I'm hauling a shooting bench and vice to my treestand. Keyboard snipers are popular, actual snipers are few and far between. It's no different than the umpteen stories you'll see or hear about (some on here) in the next two months, I hit that deer perfect but we never found it, well I'm here to tell ya sonny, you didn't hit it perfect. Want me to be impressed? Shoot a 1" group offhand at 100 yds.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I get that. on that 7mm it is a .275" bullet. two side by side, touching, would have a center to center of .55" and divided by 2. very nice. 

I should note that we are NOT shooting factory ammo. My Dad and his late Dad hand-loaded a ton back in the day. We have way too many rounds to ever shoot. So maybe the hand-loading helps a lot with accuracy? I'm not a gun guru, and maybe I'm just spoiled accuracy-wise. I remember laying down as a kid and shooting a weatherby 22-250 from "chuck sticks" and hitting soda cans.

I should note that we are NOT shooting factory ammo. My Dad and his late Dad hand-loaded a ton back in the day. We have way too many rounds to ever shoot. So maybe the hand-loading helps a lot with accuracy? I'm not a gun guru, and maybe I'm just spoiled accuracy-wise. I remember laying down as a kid and shooting a weatherby 22-250 from "chuck sticks" and hitting soda cans.

475cd65528c6e53379dc29cf7d532b71.jpg

Note: I was never a Jets fan, my Dad made me wear that stupid sweatshirt

• Like 6

I practice up to 40 yards.  Im happy with 8" pie plate.  Now in the woods, that is a entirely different story.  I won't shoot over 40 on my property, limited acreage, neighbors on top of you, very thick terrain, etc.  There is just too many variables.  These bows shoot so fast today, even watching carefully it's difficult to see where you hit.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Some kids are born with silver spoons in their mouths.  Biz was born with a Weatherby in his hands!  LOL

All hand me downs. All our weatherby's are the old German-made weatherby's. My late grandfather didn't have much $, but what $ he had he put into his rifles. They were handed down to my dad, who of course, lets me use them. I technically don't own a shotgun or rifle. I just use whatever my Dad has. When we go out west, I shoot the 7MM WBY Mag, my Dad shoots the .270 WBY Mag. Deer season in NY, we both identical browning bps pump shotguns (again hand me downs).

thinking no matter the weapon, at whatever distance a 3" group happens that's it... Now... for me personally... I will not shoot a deer past 35 yards because in my thinking, if the deer takes a step my mind won't react fast enough and it will be a wounding shot.. Farthest deer I've shot with a bow is 32 yards... with a rifle it was 280 yds.. furthest I've shot an animal is a Gemsbok in Africa laser ranged at 309 yds.. 

• Like 1