Hello all

phillifan22

Hi everyone, I've been following the site since last year, when I moved to the Clifton Park area after hunting in CNY my whole life. I hunted at Thacher last fall, and I was wondering if there are any other public areas to bow/gun hunt deer, turkey, or even bear in the Capital District. Was thinking about checking out Black Creek, Cole Hill, and Louise E Keir this year, but wasn't sure if anyone knows how good or crowded those spots are. Never really ran into anyone at Thacher last year which was nice. Looking forward to contributing and following this site more this year!

• Like 2

Welcome! Glad to have you join us!  Thatcher has some deer, but can be hard to hunt until you really get to know the lay of the land there. Not a ton of pressure, but enough to put a lot of the deer movement to nocturnal early on. The Carick rd. entrance with the open hardwoods and oak ridges is better than the Ryan road entrance IMO. The Ryan side is very thick and almost unhuntable in spots. You just can't get in to where the deer are, without tipping off the deer you are trying to hunt! But with enough time put in you can be successful, hunting the fringes. If I were hunting public land in this area, Partridge run would be my FIRST choice. Plenty of room to roam and some very nice deer! Tip......Ravine road. Cole hill is another good spot with the side benches on oak ridges. Some decent bucks have been taken there over the years. But you will need to be in a ways and early, before the deer move up in the morning or down at last light. Best of luck to you!

• Like 3

Welcome. Black Creek Marsh gets some pressure during bow, Andy ton more for gun. Much of it's thick. Keir is small and is the same as Black Creek Marsh for pressure. Margaret Burke is also in the area, seen a couple nice bucks scouting there this summer. But, like Thacher, also has a lot of pressure from hikers and nature watchers. I would suggest Black Creek Marsh, Burke, or Thacher as they are bigger and easier to find a spot without another hunter 60 yards away. As mentioned, Partridge Run, but haven't been over there, but concesus from people in the area is it's the best place to hunt public land in the area.
There's also Featherstonhaugh which doesn't seem to get a ton of pressure, and The Albany Pine Bush ( bow only ).

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Welcome. Black Creek Marsh gets some pressure during bow, Andy ton more for gun. Much of it's thick. Keir is small and is the same as Black Creek Marsh for pressure. Margaret Burke is also in the area, seen a couple nice bucks scouting there this summer. But, like Thacher, also has a lot of pressure from hikers and nature watchers. I would suggest Black Creek Marsh, Burke, or Thacher as they are bigger and easier to find a spot without another hunter 60 yards away. As mentioned, Partridge Run, but haven't been over there, but concesus from people in the area is it's the best place to hunt public land in the area.
There's also Featherstonhaugh which doesn't seem to get a ton of pressure, and The Albany Pine Bush ( bow only ).

I agree. All these public land areas have hunting potential. But most are small and can be crowded, with not only hunters, but people walking their dogs, hiking, bike riding, bird watching, or any number of other things, public land gets used for. That is just what comes with hunting public land. That is why I always recommend Partridge Run, for hunting in Albany County. It is bigger acreage wise, than all the others combined. It is the only public land in this area, where you could hunt and move about, and not see another hunter! I have hunted PR since I was a pup, before I got my own land to hunt. I have killed many deer there, and some pretty decent bucks too. Even with private land, I STILL hunt there on occasion. 20 or 30 years ago, even the large acreage of Partridge Run was too crowded. Now days, most parking lots and access points are almost clear of vehicles, except the opening weekend of firearms season. You too should take a look over there rob. I think you will really like it! It's as close to wilderness hunting, as you will find in Albany County public hunting lands. Just don't spread the word too much! 

I have hunting access, to the private land surrounding Martha Burke! What about those big bucks???

I agree. All these public land areas have hunting potential. But most are small and can be crowded, with not only hunters, but people walking their dogs, hiking, bike riding, bird watching, or any number of other things, public land gets used for. That is just what comes with hunting public land. That is why I always recommend Partridge Run, for hunting in Albany County. It is bigger acreage wise, than all the others combined. It is the only public land in this area, where you could hunt and move about, and not see another hunter! I have hunted PR since I was a pup, before I got my own land to hunt. I have killed many deer there, and some pretty decent bucks too. Even with private land, I STILL hunt there on occasion. 20 or 30 years ago, even the large acreage of Partridge Run was too crowded. Now days, most parking lots and access points are almost clear of vehicles, except the opening weekend of firearms season. You too should take a look over there rob. I think you will really like it! It's as close to wilderness hunting, as you will find in Albany County public hunting lands. Just don't spread the word too much! 
I have hunting access, to the private land surrounding Martha Burke! What about those big bucks???
I might try getting over to PR at some point this season. Trying to put focus more on getting to know the land better in a few other areas. Most likely not even hunting Thacher this year. If I do it will be during bow as my shotgun doesn't like burping slugs too much. Thacher's no rifles crap puts my interest in other areas. I may go get the permit just in case I want a change of scenery.
As for big bucks near Burke, my idea of a nice buck is a bit different than yours. Nice 6er wandering around a few weeks back. Where? In Margaret Burke. ........grin.

28 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I might try getting over to PR at some point this season. Trying to put focus more on getting to know the land better in a few other areas. Most likely not even hunting Thacher this year. If I do it will be during bow as my shotgun doesn't like burping slugs too much. Thacher's no rifles crap puts my interest in other areas. I may go get the permit just in case I want a change of scenery.
As for big bucks near Burke, my idea of a nice buck is a bit different than yours. Nice 6er wandering around a few weeks back. Where? In Margaret Burke. ........grin.
emoji6.png

That little spot I showed you last year, may be good again this year, in Thatcher, for early bow season?? Might be worth a try? Good luck. 

The no rifles in Thatcher does put a crimp in things there.

Edited by grampy

Don't forget to check out state forests, in addition to WMAs...  My first year hunting, I hunted Partridge Run.  I wasn't a bow hunter at that point, but I saw lots of deer during bow season, and never saw another hunter.  Fall turkey was a lot longer then, but that experience is, in part, what pushed me to take the bow course.