Who reuses broad heads?

NonTypical

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Bill Winke does shooting 80lbs or so out of a 330ish IBO bow and fairly long draw.  he's been shooting rocket steelheads mechanicals for years.  he doesn't often though and has implied it's really important to get passed the lower shoulder and leg bones without hitting it.  my thoughts are why chance it.

Had that shot yesterday at 12yds on the biggest buck I have had in range.  Didn't shoot.  Still debating whether I should have.  Likelihood is that it would have been a dead deer but in the moment I didn't shoot.   

With the recurve IMO that would be a high risk shot.  Not as much with my compound.  But I still didn't shoot.  

Edited by moog5050

10 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Bill Winke does shooting 80lbs or so out of a 330ish IBO bow and fairly long draw.  he's been shooting rocket steelheads mechanicals for years.  he doesn't often though and has implied it's really important to get passed the lower shoulder and leg bones without hitting it.  my thoughts are why chance it.

I don't think I would shoot that angle either, although I've never had the opportunity.  Bill's setup is pretty solid.  The steelhead only measures 1 and 1/8th, so that helps, as well as a middle weight arrow.  

I shot a 4 point at 25 yds.  Arrow hit ribs and got an exit through the opposite side leg bone.  500 grain arrow, 1.25" Jak-Hammer.  

I find it hard to believe that a modern bow can be so out of tune that it loses the kind of energy folks are talking about.  I'm more apt to look at the broadhead.  JMO.

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

I don't think I would shoot that angle either, although I've never had the opportunity.  Bill's setup is pretty solid.  The steelhead only measures 1 and 1/8th, so that helps, as well as a middle weight arrow.  

I shot a 4 point at 25 yds.  Arrow hit ribs and got an exit through the opposite side leg bone.  500 grain arrow, 1.25" Jak-Hammer.  

I find it hard to believe that a modern bow can be so out of tune that it loses the kind of energy folks are talking about.  I'm more apt to look at the broadhead.  JMO.

My setup currently won't get two-sided penetration in a wet paper back. Definitely thinking broadhead is part of the equation!

I know people want "shaving sharp" broadheads, but has anybody seen convincing penetration tests to confirm it matters that much? I have a video I won't post now because it may inflame (it's a bit cray cray), but shooting a deer does it truly make a big diff at arrow speeds if it's sharp as heck or just "kinda sharp"? Just playing devil's advocate. I've yet to hit a deer with a used broadhead fwiw.

Edited by Core

20 minutes ago, Core said:

My setup currently won't get two-sided penetration in a wet paper back. Definitely thinking broadhead is part of the equation!

I know people want "shaving sharp" broadheads, but has anybody seen convincing penetration tests to confirm it matters that much? I have a video I won't post now because it may inflame (it's a bit cray cray), but shooting a deer does it truly make a big diff at arrow speeds if it's sharp as heck or just "kinda sharp"? Just playing devil's advocate. I've yet to hit a deer with a used broadhead fwiw.

You want those blades slicing capillaries in the lungs, not pushing them out of the way. Thats why broadhead sharpness is so important, more so than the initial wound (I am not a doctor)

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You want those blades slicing capillaries in the lungs, not pushing them out of the way. Thats why broadhead sharpness is so important, more so than the initial wound (I am not a doctor)

And this was exactly my argument with him. How sharp blades will produce a clean, quick kill buy slicing everything they come into contact with. His response was that if Indians used stone heads and killed animals, why couldn't he reuse a broadhead without sharpening it. I had to give up. He just doesn't get it. 

I put the same nap sling blade through 4 deer, sharpened blades and put back in quiver. The deer I shot this year hit opposite shoulder and finally bent the blades. It would still work but I retired it. I always spin them and check sharpness, if good they go back in quiver.

If the head looks find ill re use it. Ive re used a couple rages before and it went well, but after 2 deer it wasn't looking too good. The killzones i shot 2 deer with look amazing. The blades are still as sharp as they were out of the box and pretty much as solid. Only thing that's loose on those heads is one screw that I believe I can tighten. NFA-ADK can testify to that when I showed him a comparison of a new head and one that was used. 

Here is the video I didn't post, but I came upon it recently. It's for a weird broadhead named the atom. I don't know if they still make them. It's basically just a field point with some "razor wire" attached to it. But apparently it's pretty blunt really and you can rake your finger against it. The argument they make in the video is that at the kind of speeds you're hitting with, you don't need much sharpness. Think paper cut: Move paper slowly, no cut, move fast, you get a cut.

As I'm not convinced by the video, I'll defer to common wisdom and keep my heads as sharp as possible (as 99% of people say it is important). Still, I thought it was an interesting idea for a broadhead in any case. I bet it flies well :)