hunting with cloud cover.

Iluvracks1359

Most of my mature bucks were shot in just about miserable conditions. Shot a 10 after sitting in rain all day, shot a 9 three years ago in late ML season with over foot of snow on ground and was snowing when i shot him, shot a couple 8's  and a absolute pig of a 6 pointer during snow storms, there are others but you get the idea. I have shot deer on sunny days but mostly does and young bucks..Takes alot to get a mature buck on his feet during daylight and it usually revolves around 2 things, food and the ladies.

• Like 1

I haven't hunted as long as a lot of members, but over 15 years of hunting has taught me this. You just gotta get out there. I've seen and killed deer in some of the most non-ideal situations and been voided with absolute perfect ones.

I know it's just a discussion topic, but this time a year especially the only thing that matters is the birds and the bees and being in the right place when the birds are ready :)

• Like 1

The thing that makes any concrete conclusions hard to arrive at is the fact that weather this time of year is generally pretty crappy. So if you think there is more activity on cloudy days, perhaps it is because there are just more crappy days this time of year.....lol.

• Like 1

How about those clear frosty days when a deer can't set his foot down without crunching those frozen leaves. Damn, I can't tell you how many times on mornings like that I have heard the deer coming in before I even saw them. Oh yeah.... they do love the clear crisp days just as much as the damp crappy days. I love those days. Everything seems to be more active. Of course those frozen clear mornings are also the days when every squirrel and chipmunk have you reaching for the bow thinking some monster buck is coming.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doc said:

How about those clear frosty days when a deer can't set his foot down without crunching those frozen leaves. Damn, I can't tell you how many times on mornings like that I have heard the deer coming in before I even saw them. Oh yeah.... they do love the clear crisp days just as much as the damp crappy days. I love those days. Everything seems to be more active. Of course those frozen clear mornings are also the days when every squirrel and chipmunk have you reaching for the bow thinking some monster buck is coming.

im hoping for a handful of those in November. I can sit all day easier when I dont have to have my head on a swivel

2 hours ago, Doc said:

So if you think there is more activity on cloudy days, perhaps it is because there are just more crappy days this time of year.....lol.

You would be correct....and besides who cares what the weather is when you are horny.:pleasantry:

31 minutes ago, Bow sniper said:

The only day I can hunt is on Sunday this week and it's giving rain all day will the deer b moving or am I wasting my time

They will move in the rain. In fact I just read a study the other day that found that deer actually move a lot in the rain. I've always seen a lot of deer in the rain.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, NYBowhunter said:

Most of my mature bucks were shot in just about miserable conditions. Shot a 10 after sitting in rain all day, shot a 9 three years ago in late ML season with over foot of snow on ground and was snowing when i shot him, shot a couple 8's  and a absolute pig of a 6 pointer during snow storms, there are others but you get the idea. I have shot deer on sunny days but mostly does and young bucks..Takes alot to get a mature buck on his feet during daylight and it usually revolves around 2 things, food and the ladies.

Food and or  ladies ....Isn’t that typical with any male....