Bad shot in the end

eagle rider

I connected with a truck of a ten yesterday.  Has to be 130" plus, 6.5 yr old.  10 yard shot.  Arrow deflected a little and I hit him high in the shoulder top.  I'm shooting 65 pounds with a 30" 340 Easton Nemesis and a 100 gr two blade Rage.  My total arrow weight is over 400 grs.  When it hit his top shoulder it sounded like a snapping snapped and he  mule kicked high.  He took off with the arrow sticking out of his shoulder.  He was able to snap the arrow off in brush he crashed through.  I had eyes on him disappearing into a field on the other side of the road from the stand.  I let him sit about an hour.  The broken shaft looks like I have 5" of arrow and broadhead inside of him.  Wet brush so no blood to be seen and I hit him high with no exit wound.  About two hours later I went into his wood line behind the filed that he disappeared in.  This is the area where I had seen him rubbing trees earlier this year.  I slowly pushed in 150 yards into that marshy wood line.  He was about 50 yards in front of me when I saw him stand up.  I had no shot, it was too thick.  He didn't run, he slowly walked back into thicker stuff.  I'm thinking the shoulder is broken and with that much arrow in him he has to be bleeding internally.  The shaft (whats left of it) has about another inch to an inch and a half of darker red blood on it.  So I'm thinking dark arterial blood off the main artery that runs between his spine and the top of his rips.  I have a deer search dog coming this morning.  With good hoof prints on the dirt where he took off from and that piece of recovered arrow I'm hoping to get lucky.  It was a sleepless night.  He will be the biggest deer I would have ever shot in my life if we recover him.  I'll let you know how we do.

It's not artery or he'd have been dead. One good thing is he did not run. It's cold he will be stiff and the deer search if not you should have a good chance at getting a shot if he is not dead when you come up on him.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

6.5 is the age estimate on the size he was.  Back teeth will tell the real story.  Dog worked the trail for two hours today.  Came out on the far side of the woods.  Gut pile on the trail edge.  Met the guy who finished him off last night.  He showed me pics.  He said he came out limping on three legs and coughing up blood. Could not put his right front leg down.  He said only about half of the broad head made it through the shoulder and into the lung.  He said it looked more like a puncture wound.  He also said the Rage head was completely mangled.  Blades were stuck in the bone.