log splitter advise

rachunter

after spending seven days up at my place with the new wood burning stove I had installed over the summer I've decided to get a log splitter instead of buying or using an ax to split wood. so I've be doing some research and figured I ask here as well. i'm looking at the troybilt 27 ton and the country line 25 ton anyone use ether or have any advise on a better one. I know nothing about them i'll be splitting 17-18" logs. i'm a believer of buy once cry once so i'm looking for my best option.would like to keep it under $2000 

thanks in advance 

I went with a Cubcadet 27 ton and have not been sorry ever. I cut and split @6 cords a year and it goes through it all some of which is giant nasty stuff. Great motor on it too. I think I paid $12-1300

Troybilt has been ok for me but there is a difference in quality. I have been switching over to cubcadet or other brands as the troybilts and craftsmen stuff dies. 

• Like 1

I have the Troybuilt and it works fine.  To the best of my knowledge, the Troybuilt, Cub Cadet and many others are all made by MTD.  They're just different colors.  You have all kinds of choices for under $2000.  I have ran most brands, and none of them stand out to me.  I split about 30 cords a year, and do about 10 of that with the Troybuilt.  The rest gets done with a splitting maul.  If you buy one new, it should last you "forever" or until you get sick of burning wood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I have the Troybuilt and it works fine.  To the best of my knowledge, the Troybuilt, Cub Cadet and many others are all made by MTD.  They're just different colors.  You have all kinds of choices for under $2000.  I have ran most brands, and none of them stand out to me.  I split about 30 cords a year, and do about 10 of that with the Troybuilt.  The rest gets done with a splitting maul.  If you buy one new, it should last you "forever" or until you get sick of burning wood.

MTD is the parent company but Cubcadet  are not made by MTD. There is a big difference in quality between different brands. IMO

My splitter has a Honda motor, I had to look it up. Lol 

How much wood are you splitting? I split 5-6 cord a year with a splitting axe. It's way faster.

I have a timber wolf splitter and it is a phenomenal machine but I only run it every 3 or 4 years when I get a big enough pile of knotty stud I don't want to split by hand.

A truck tire and a good SHARP splitting axe would be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend getting one that you can use vertical of horizontal.  The vertical position is nice for real big diameter stuff so you do not have to lift it up as high.   I am dealing with a bunch of real big ash trees now and it sure is nice to be able to just roll those big chunks up to the splitter and flop them down on the bed.   In the vertical mode, it is very comfortable seated in a chair (or on an upside down 5 gallon bucket) in front of the splitter.   I did the manual thing for many years and it is not bad for the young.    I can certainly find much more enjoyable ways for burning calories now.   A problem with splitting wood by hand, is similar to swinging a hammer or shooting a bow.  It will lead to lopsided arm development and can lead to arthrits and other joint issues as you get older.

Splitting wood with a hydraulic splitter is relaxing and enjoyable.   If only I could find a way to make chunking up the wood and dropping the trees with a chainsaw like that.   The funnest part is dragging the logs out of the woods with the tractor however.  I feel sorry for folks who do not heat with wood.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

How much wood are you splitting? I split 5-6 cord a year with a splitting axe. It's way faster.

I have a timber wolf splitter and it is a phenomenal machine but I only run it every 3 or 4 years when I get a big enough pile of knotty stud I don't want to split by hand.

A truck tire and a good SHARP splitting axe would be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

right now not that much but when i'm up there fulltime enough to heat my house. I can't swing an ax much with my wrist.sholders and back. 

I have a Brave 34 ton that i bought about 14 years ago.It splits horizontal or vertical, with a 8 hp BS motor.I do around 40 -50 face cord a year, has worked flawlessly.My only change would be a Honda motor for quieter running.

If and when you purchase a splitter,DO NOT loan it out, you will have a machine that will last you a life time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

I have a Brave 34 ton that i bought about 14 years ago.It splits horizontal or vertical, with a 8 hp BS motor.I do around 40 -50 face cord a year, has worked flawlessly.My only change would be a Honda motor for quieter running.

If and when you purchase a splitter,DO NOT loan it out, you will have a machine that will last you a life time.

Good advice there from 52 on the Honda.   Mine has a 6.5 hp Honda on it and it does run fairly quiet.   One more piece of advice on a splitter (or any other intermittent use small engine), is stay away from ethanol gas.   My Honda is about 15 years old, but it has been given a new life the last three years thanks to the availability of that ethanol free stuff.  It now starts on the first pull again every time, just like it did when new.   Since I only split up front near my barn, I would probably look into a big 3-phase electric motor the next time, to make it even quieter the next time, eliminate fuel concerns and get rid of the emissions entirely so I could do it under an overhang.   

• Like 1

Honda motors really are the bee's knees.  My Troybuilt splitter and Cub Cadet tiller both have what we call "Chondas" on them.  That's a Honda clone that is made in China.  They seem to be built cheaply, but I can't say that I've seen any difference in performance.  They are quiet and way more fuel efficient than the older Briggs and Tecumsa motors I have run.  

A splitter that will work vertical, as well as horizontal, is nice.  I don't consider it a key feature for most people.  Ethanol is indeed a killer in any small engine.  I'm a believer in Sea Foam and Stabil fuel treatments, especially in anything that is going to sit idle for any amount of time.

• Like 1

Had the Troybilt 27t with Honda engine, flawless operation & fairly quiet. No way to really enjoy splitting wood, but this splitter helped ease the pain! lol. Easily towed behind an ATV also!

FYI - After rebuilding numerous carbs on my small 2-cycle equipment, went to using NON-ethanol (91 oct) gas on everything from ATV down. Never had another problem!! Also only used name brand oil additives for small engine's gas mix! In case you're not aware most shops do NOT rebuilt carbs anymore, new carb install and shop rate of ~$80+/hr.

• Like 1

Get the biggest you can afford...vertical/ horizontal option is nice but you won't need the vertical unless you are splitting some real heavy pieces and you still have to horse them around. I use to use a plank to roll the heavy ones up on my horizontal. When I burned wood I bought log loads and never got anything to big to handle.

I have been using this for the last 4 or 5 years in my mowers, trimmer, atv, snowblower,  etc .  Treats 48 gallons for about $7.00 available at Tractor Supply or Lowes. It is usually cheaper at Lowes.

ethanol.jpg

• Like 4