A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations!

Doc

Well today brought all that clearly into focus. This was my first still-hunt of the year, and I learned a lot about how old-age can impact abilities. I was out for 6 hours today and started out walking up our "Killer Hill". That's a long hike, much of which is almost hands and knees kind of climbing.....lol. Well that's a bit of exaggeration, but it is a very steep and unrelenting climb, I got all the way back to the end of the hunting area that I used to routinely hunt years ago, and turned to get the wind in my face while I started the real serious hunting through my favorite area along the edge of the gorge in a heavy hemlock stretch of woods toward home.

First thing I learned was that my hips had hit some kind of a time limit, and started kinking up. It's pretty hard to execute smooth silent stealthy sneaking when you are walking like Chester on Gunsmoke, or Walter Brennan. But I realized I had a long way to go so I just sucked it up and did my best. Then the knees started in trying to lock up. That added even more fun to the hunt. I was actually beginning to get concerned whether or not I was actually going to be able to make it home. How the hell would I ever have dragged a deer home?

Normally, I would drive my ATV up to just under the ridge of the hill and then walk from there. Well, I had to put the plow on the ATV a little early this year, to check out the winch lift. The plow is not a fun thing to take off and then put back on, so I just figured that I always walked it for years and years, so why not just walk. Well, I guess I found out that a lot has changed since that much younger guy used to scamper around the hills years ago .....lol.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Dunno what ypur age is but assume your an older fellow. You walked up a big hill and hunted and hiked for 6 hours....I'd say you did more than most people a lot younger have done today or will do tomorrow.  

Yeah, but it wasn't really fun this time. But I will likely do it again just because I am stubborn .....lol.

That same hill killed our neighbor, and he was only in his 50's.

hey  doc,I hear ya,  Im thinking my hunting days are numbered rather than put up with bs I have chosen to hunt by myself.  Saturday afternoon I tripped and fell hard twice and hurt both shoulders , I laughed my butt off because I realized Im getting  very good at landing  while protecting my melon and rifle.I  have a  bad case of drop foot  and  wear a leg brace.  I lost my hunting  partner because I would not let him shoot a bear that he wanted to bait in with a arrow. He never shot a  bow before except for a few times in his back yard and never in a hunting situation . I dont believe  that baiting  garbage  and wounding any  animal.  do your homework and put in your time and   you will know where to find a bear so he had a hissy fit and stopped talking to me,so rather than  have someone tell me what do do on my  property Id rather break  my skull  so  I feel your  pain. I hate to just stop maybe I will just build a permanent  box blind I a proven spot and call it a lifetime of hunting I know the trick to still hunting is moving slow but falling down is noisy I  hear the deer laughing you and i  have some thinking to do. me im, not going down easy  If my old lady knew I fell it would be game over since It happens a lot  good luck to you, what do ya think  PS  2017 total of 5 hrs  in woods got to do somthing

At 64  and I've notice for the past 10 years if I walk a lot my right knee begins to develop a shooting pain most likely an mcl because it's on the outside of my knee. Now it doesn't even take a lot of walking and it flares up. The real problem is down hill... it's much worse. I've had times when I have to side step down hill right leg first kept straight and just bend the left. Now stop snickering you youngsters... you're days are coming!

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Doc -- You are still a young "whipper snapper" ! 

Yeah Eddie, but if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. I'm starting to feel like I've been rode hard and put away wet......lol.

It is the reality of aging. It will happen to all of us if we actually live long enough ..... Ha-ha-ha. Maybe that's the right way to look at it. When you hit a certain age, just think about what the alternative to all that pain and discomfort is. That's not nice to even think about .... lol.

• Like 1

I Have a hill like that, 1/2 mile and as you look ahead it's like your looking up to heaven. Streams to cross that are,waterfalls...I walked it yesterday.. half of it in a side step like a mountain Goat. .You described me to a  T..make me laugh...I should have stock in Ibuprofen....I don't care how much pain I'm in..I refuse to allow my body to beat my brain..which isn't old yet.

I feel your pain Doc! literally! I just completed my bow hunting sighting log, I have been keeping these records since 1998. I have averaged 16 days in the field and 58 hours in the stand. This year was my lowest total ever with 9 days and 26 hours. almost half of what I used to do. Saturday I spent maybe 2 hours in a stand and had to move to my blind as my legs were cramping up so much I couldn't sit still. I only hunted 6 hours, normally I'd be out there sunrise to sunset. I knew I would get old someday, I just never expected it to happen overnight!