Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

On 11/25/2017 at 7:38 AM, airedale said:

Advertisement in this month's "American Rifleman", peace all you bowhunters you have nothing to fear , there is no real advantage hunting with this weapon over a bow.

150490002559b2f3b94bca1.jpg

Trying to make that kind of point using a marketing gimmick is pretty weak. There are lots of snake oil salesmen out there.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 9:48 AM, Storm914 said:

They  have something called a airbow can shoot arrow 500 plus feet per second looks just like a gun why bother with that thing it's old technology 

Thats an airgun that shoots aroows. Its funny how you guys fall for marketing gimmicks and then quote them as some sort of facts to back up your agendas.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 10:13 AM, airedale said:

And I am betting you have a place to hunt where you do not have to worry about a level playing field, most with this mindset are hunting private lands posted up tighter than a drum where it is easy to have that kind of attitude.  Always the first thing out of crossbow proponents mouths "We Are Not Shooting Your Deer"  but what about the traditional archers that do not have such opportunities and instead have to grub out a place to hunt on public state lands with plenty of competition?

Al

If you view hunting as a competition, well then, I feel bad for you.

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

And what about them using crossbows as a excuse to ban guns from being used for deer hunting you don't think that will be proposed .  Later on . 

I bet some politician already writing it up as we speak 

You remember this one you don't need 10 bullets to kill a deer .

Next will be you don't need any bullets to kill a deer just use a crossbow. 

I mean you guys want a little longer season I sympathize with you but don't get carried away  

Edited by Storm914

15 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I am just stating facts, a traditional bow hunter having to hunt popular state-public hunting lands where there is actually some deer is going to have tougher competition because there will many more hunters hunting the same land and the same deer he is after, with full inclusion of crossbows it will be even more difficult. 

Al

• Like 1

As a traditional bow hunter I haven't been able to figure out how having crossbow hunters in the woods is a disadvantage to me. I'm pretty sure the deer don't consciously choose to walk in front of just crossbow hunters and by-pass all the other bow hunters.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nyantler said:

As a traditional bow hunter I haven't been able to figure out how having crossbow hunters in the woods is a disadvantage to me. I'm pretty sure the deer don't consciously choose to walk in front of just crossbow hunters and by-pass all the other bow hunters.

You would think different if you hunted one of the popular state land parks used by hunters .

21 minutes ago, nyantler said:

It's simple math. XBows = more hunters in your woods chasing the same deer. Someone decried hunting as competition. Hunting is very much a competition between those who do it in a given area versus the deer inhabiting said area. Like I said, simple math. The odds of an individual, any individual, taking a deer with Compound or Xbow goes down when you add more active hunters to the equation.

My neighbors hunt aggressively,to the point of trespassing when they can. I embrace that reality. It makes me a better hunter out of necessity in terms of patterning, scouting and placing stands. I enjoy the challenge in fact. Not only am I trying to hunt mature deer, but I am trying to make that happen before anyone else. 

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nyantler said:

As a traditional bow hunter I haven't been able to figure out having crossbow hunters in the woods is a disadvantage to me. I'm pretty sure the deer don't consciously choose to walk in front of just crossbow hunters and by-pass all the other bow hunters.

As a traditional bowhunter myself it has been pretty easy for me to figure out. Twenty five yards give or take a couple is where I have confidence putting an arrow into the kill zone. I have been shooting bows since the sixties and even with all the arrows shot down through the years twenty five yards is where my comfort level shooting at a deer is.

Now last fall I had the opportunity to fire a friend of mine's crossbow, he has the best of everything and it was all set to go sighted in with a scope that had something like a mil dot reticle for various ranges. I took three shots off hand at 30, 35 and 40 yards and hit the bullseye every time with zero practice. Just put the dot on target for the corresponding range and press the trigger Bingo!

Bottom line even with all of my years experience shooting a traditional bow, and by the way I do have and shoot compound bows but they are still shot with a glove and instinctive, there is no way I personally could ever shoot ranges that can be shot with a high end crossbow, the difference in accuracy for me is huge!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Besides there is a lot more chance of someone accidentally shooting someone with a crossbow then a tradition bow .

You would get some  guys walking around the woods with them cocked shooting at anything that moves  on state land just will make you that much more nervous to in some places. 

That is one of the reasons people get into traditional archery. 

Edited by Storm914

On 11/26/2017 at 8:48 AM, Storm914 said:

I am fine with that my suspicion is that if one goes to a doctor he  talks to fish and game or writes a note that you are legitimately messed  up in someway they will give you a free pass to use a crossbow. 

They just want to stop scammers from taking advantage of the law who just want a better way to hunt.

I could be wrong . 

No they wont. Discussing this stuff with you is pointless. You dont know the facts, and apparently you refuse to even look them up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Besides there is a lot more chance of someone accidentally shooting someone with a crossbow then a tradition bow .

You would get some  guys walking around the woods with them cocked shooting at anything that moves  on state land just will make you that much more nervous to in some places. 

That is one of the reasons people get into traditional archery. 

Random shots into the bushes while still hunting with a xbow would quickly become an expensive lesson in stupidity.  

7 minutes ago, airedale said:

As a traditional bowhunter myself is has been pretty easy for me to figure out. Twenty five yards give or take a couple is where I have confidence putting an arrow into the kill zone. I have been shooting bows since the sixties and even with all the arrows shot down through the years twenty five yards is where my comfort level shooting at a deer is.

Now last fall I had the opportunity to fire a friend of mine's crossbow, he has the best of everything and it was all set to go sighted in with a scope that had something like a mil dot reticle for various ranges. I took three shots off hand at 30, 35 and 40 yards and hit the bullseye every time with zero practice. Just put the dot on target for the corresponding range and press the trigger Bingo!

Bottom line even with all of my years experience shooting a traditional bow, and by the way I do have and shoot compound bows but they are still shot with a glove and instinctive, there is no way I personally could ever shoot ranges that can be shot with a high end crossbow, the difference in accuracy for me is huge!

Al

Btw even the cheep crossbows  with scopes  you  can hit close to bullseys every time off a rest at even 40 50 yards .

Especially with the high end crossbows  if one practiced just a little new the exact range with rangefinder  I  believe it would be know probably to consistently hit the kill zone of a deer at 100 yards    in a open field  with one .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Most modern crossbow

hunters incorrectly refer to the bolts as arrows, due to the similar appearance, but the physics of how a bolt finds its target are different than that of an arrow used in a verticalbow. Crossbows can also be adapted to shoot lead bullets or rocks, in which case they are called stone-bows.

Crossbow is a crossbow  

Horseshit. Most modern crossbows shoot arrows. The only differences between a crossbow arrow and a compound arrow are the nock is a bit different, length and the thickness of the material used. The crossbow arrows are thicker so that they can get the weight into a shorter shaft. Bolts did not have fletchings.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/06/bolts-or-arrows-which-correct-crossbows

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

And what about them using crossbows as a excuse to ban guns from being used for deer hunting you don't think that will be proposed .  Later on . 

I bet some politician already writing it up as we speak 

You remember this one you don't need 10 bullets to kill a deer .

Next will be you don't need any bullets to kill a deer just use a crossbow. 

I mean you guys want a little longer season I sympathize with you but don't get carried away  

Youre an idiot

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No they wont. Discussing this stuff with you is pointless. You dont know the facts, and apparently you refuse to even look them up.

I'm sorry you feel that way but do you really need all of archery season to kill a deer with a crossbow? 

I understand having a little longer season but come on it's a crossbow. 

14 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Horseshit. Most modern crossbows shoot arrows. The only differences between a crossbow arrow and a compound arrow are the nock is a bit different, length and the thickness of the material used. The crossbow arrows are thicker so that they can get the weight into a shorter shaft. Bolts did not have fletchings.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/06/bolts-or-arrows-which-correct-crossbows

Get a slow motion  video of one flying throw the air and i will show you the difference arrows  flex 

Crossbow bolts don't .

I would give you a more detailed explanation but I don't think you have the mental ability to understand it .

You only know  one thing look through scope pull  trigger dead deer .

Edited by Storm914

5 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Don't know who you are talking to but 

How much more logical can I be you got your season all ready know need to mess up everyone else's season stop being greedy . Or try and get longer one after gun season when every one else has had there turn . 

I fell asleep after the fourth sentence ..... ten words or less people !  OK , that's 12 ... sorry !

So, just an FYI, this storm guy is posting with an IP address that resolves to Florida through a T-mobile account. He uses a newly created free email service account. I doubt he hunts here at all. This guy is a troll. Wouldnt shock me if its one of the other anticrossbow member's second account. I have all of the IPs logged, email account, etc. Ill do a bit more digging on it later when I have some time.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Get a slow motion  video of one flying throw the air and i will show you the difference arrows  flex 

Crossbow bolts don't .

I would give you a more detailed explanation but I don't think you have the mental ability to understand it .

You only know  one thing look through scope pull  trigger dead deer .

You dont know me from a bag of beans, and apparently have no idea how I hunt.

FYI, this year was the first year I have ever used a crossbow to hunt. Ive been hunting with a compound for quite some time. I didnt even use a scope on any of my guns until about 12 years ago, and Ive been deer hunting for close to 30.

You sir, can go back to tasting windows. What flavor is it today? Purple?