Slow cook backstrap

Swamp_bucks

So this is my favorite recipe for fresh never frozen backstrap hopefully all the pictures show and if someone else posted the same thing my bad.  

1)So i will cut my backstrap into 6-8 inch chuncks.

2)Then i put down a piece of aluminum foil down and place about 3-6 pieces of bacon across is. (Make sure have enough so you can fold foil over all the tenderloin)

3)place strap across bacon

4)slice strap length ways but not all the way through

5)sprinkle salt and pepper to your desire across tenderloin

6) slice cherry tomatoes in half. Stuff these and banna peppers into backstrap

7) sprinkle brown sugar over loin

8) wrap everything in up in the bacon

9)wrap everything in the foil

10) slow cook on grill for roughly 2 hours, rotating every half hour. make sure you check that meat is done i dont have an exact amout of time and temperature.  I will be trying this recipe out in the oven tomorrow for the first time. At 300 for a couple hours. 

20171121_195410.jpg

20171121_195436.jpg

20171121_195148.jpg

20171121_195215.jpg

20171121_195235.jpg

20171121_195807.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
Wrong wording on cut of meat.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Don’t mean to be rude but why waste any loin meat on slow cooking? Why not do this with some meat from the hind legs or maybe the neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually saw this on a show as well and modified it a little bit. But they used an elk tenderloin.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Actually saw this on a show as well and modified it a little bit. But they used an elk tenderloin.

That’s just crazy and such a waste of good meat.... are you using the tenderloin or a back strap ?

On 11/21/2017 at 8:19 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Don’t mean to be rude but why waste any loin meat on slow cooking? Why not do this with some meat from the hind legs or maybe the neck

i agree. chops are the best cut to just eat lightly seasoned off the grill. No need to break it down. Not that it ruins it, but there are plenty of tougher cuts that we throw in crock instead. 

i make a rolled steak out of the shoulder like that, comes out great .  and yeah gotta agree backstrap gotta be cooked to a medium rare with a little outside char then cut to serve after resting.  - My Dad wouldnt even entertain anything but as he was a chef and a butcher.  

I have a buddy that does the same thing , he puts in the crockpot and says ........but thats the way i like it!  to each his own !

• Like 1

Hey chef
Any experience with venison and the sous vide ? 

Oh yea.... it’s the best....treat it like beef for the steaks...... wanna have some fun take a roast set the sou vied machine to 130 and leave the roast in there for 12 hours medium rare potroast

• Like 1

Oh yea.... it’s the best....treat it like beef for the steaks...... wanna have some fun take a roast set the sou vied machine to 130 and leave the roast in there for 12 hours medium rare potroast

What kind of prep ? Salt n pepper ? Rub ? Then just slice n serve ?

I never understood why someone would say it's a waste of good meat to cook it like that.  Heck it's venison. Cook it the way you like. 

I know a guy that loves venison burger. He grinds everything. Yep, inners, backstraps, everything.  Not a waste if that's the way you like it, and it gets eaten.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1