Sounds like the sinking ship is getting more holes.

Buckmaster7600

On 11/26/2017 at 6:46 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

You don't want a new one, if that's what you want I would look for an older model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one from the early 90s love it .

Picked one up just to look at in the store noticed the Bluing and Finnish on the wood was not the same quality as my old one but it seemed lighter also .

Don't no if the lighter feel is because of better engineering or just making them making  it a cheeper product with less metal .

Def a shame. Great local-ish brand. Asuch as I hate to admit it, even the staple 870 seems to have lost quality over the last 20 years. I know mine (22 yrs old) came with a wood stock that barely lasted for 5 years. I ended up putting on a syn kit. They still make some quality rigs but with models like the 783 to compete with some savages and TC they really dropped the ball. Entry level rifles and guns will always be popular,and a money maker for a gun manufacturer. I think if rem stuck to their guns (get it??) and put a quality action on that gun they could have sold alot more. I also think that cutting costs on higher end like the 700's or even the 870 was a bad move. They should know that they have/had a name and if the competition was a few dollars less they still would have sold guns to plenty of guys after the name / quality. It's too bad, it's been a tradition to get a new 870 at the start of your hunting career and I'm not sure my son will be getting one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I believe you are going to see the same things that are going on with Remington happening with other gun companies, there is much more than just a quality issue here, it is an across the board nation wide firearms "GLUT" that is out there for sale!. With a plethora of manufacturers pouring out guns the good times are rolling as far as choices, the selection of new firearms to be had has never been better, but just how many guns are folks going to actually shell out for and buy? Guns are not like automobiles that have relatively short lifespans and get recycled, they can last for many many years and still carry on perfectly doing their work as intended. I probably buy more firearms than most but there does come a time when it is hard to justify another. I don't care how nice a gun is made if one does not have some kind of excuse or a need they will not be buying.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, airedale said:

I believe you are going to see the same things that are going on with Remington happening with other gun companies, there is much more than just a quality issue here, it is an across the board nation wide firearms "GLUT" that are out there for sale!. With a plethora of manufacturers pouring out guns the good times are rolling as far as choices, the selection of new firearms to be had has never been better, but just how many guns are folks going to actually shell out for and buy? Guns are not like automobiles that have relatively short lifespans and get recycled, they can last for many many years and still carry on perfectly doing their work as intended. I probably buy more firearms than most but there does come a time when it is hard to justify another. I don't care how nice a gun is made if one does not have some kind of excuse or a need they will not be buying.

Al

Years !!  Centuries even !!

I have a shotgun  from my great grandfather that is around 100 years old that still works .

And some ammo that is around 60 years old still around. 

And I am sure that is very common in this country .

More guns then people lol 

Good bless the USA!!!

I  regret parting with some vintage Remingtons...A 1950's  M722 in .222,  a 1950s  M48 Sportsman in 28 gauge,  a 1950s M1148 in 16 gauge, a 1950s M870  12 gaugeSkeet , and an early 1970s M1100  20 gauge skeet...

I still have an early  1980s1100 12 gauge mag,  an early  1990s  1187 12 gauge and an early 1990s  M700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08, as well as a  1942 03A3  Rem Springfield, in, of course 30-06...  They are all quality firearms and I could fill up a couple of truck beds with all of the critters I have shot with them...

Oh yeah,,, Then there was that  early 1990s  XP-100  pistol in .260 rem that I sold to Lawdwaz....I killed 6 deer with it and then he killed a couple also..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

951 million in debt and looking for financial backing.....not gonna bode well for them.  Damn shame. Bought my first Remington this year .

I thought, though I don't have a reference in front of me that the real issue with Remington, and Sears too for that matter is really about massive debt.  Yes they are in a tough business environment right now but they might have survived without massive levels of debt.  Nothing wrong with hedge funds and the Carl Icahn types kicking management in the ass but I am not so sure having so many companies sucked dry is good for many of us.

Question is Remington Arms going bankrupt or is it Remington Outdoor Company which use to be Freedom Group Company that's going bankrupt?  Remington Arms is only one portion of the Remington Outdoor Company which also owns Marlin, H&R, Bushmaster, and several other companies.  Not uncommon for a parent company to let one of its subsidiaries to take the hit and tank so it can wipe its debt clean and then rebuild later.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Elmo said:

Question is Remington Arms going bankrupt or is it Remington Outdoor Company which use to be Freedom Group Company that's going bankrupt?  Remington Arms is only one portion of the Remington Outdoor Company which also owns Marlin, H&R, Bushmaster, and several other companies.  Not uncommon for a parent company to let one of its subsidiaries to take the hit and tank so it can wipe its debt clean and then rebuild later.

That was my thought because I know Marlin and Bushmaster aren't going under. Those are the 2 cash cows, H&R had stopped production a few years ago before they were talking about this. I wonder if we will start to see a shotgun under the Marlin or Bushmaster name. Kind of the same idea as Ithaca gun co.

Edited by chas0218

Years !!  Centuries even !!
I have a shotgun  from my great grandfather that is around 100 years old that still works .
And some ammo that is around 60 years old still around. 
And I am sure that is very common in this country .
More guns then people lol 
Good bless the USA!!!

'Murica

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1