Hobby/winter

Dom

I'm in need of a new hobby for the winter I used to tie my own fishing flies but not being able to be in the woods much this season I'm nearly out of feathers/and buck tails/deer hide.Any ideas as of a good hobby for the winter other than cook ?

If you have any interest in wood carving or knife making; I can hook you up with enough wood to start off. Blade blanks are cheap and you can get a few bucks selling to buy a few more; just some basic tools required and little space. In Rhinebeck is a very good place to get carving tools and info; Warren Tool; basic starter set and some sandpaper all thats needed. How to books, carving club how too's and such.

My dad was layed up for a spell when I was a youngster and he could pass the time on a chair, and he fiddled around carving for a while.

• Like 4

If you have any interest in wood carving or knife making; I can hook you up with enough wood to start off. Blade blanks are cheap and you can get a few bucks selling to buy a few more; just some basic tools required and little space. In Rhinebeck is a very good place to get carving tools and info; Warren Tool; basic starter set and some sandpaper all thats needed. How to books, carving club how too's and such.
My dad was layed up for a spell when I was a youngster and he could pass the time on a chair, and he fiddled around carving for a while.

Dinsdale beat me to it. If you enjoyed tying flys you might enjoy wood craving.

Other things I could think of that won’t break the bank are large jigsaw puzzles or those adult coloring books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bil spent years on this train set up ..... 4,000 hand trimmed and painted trees.

these few pics don’t do it justice at all, but the site won’t let my video load .

06AA5A23-791C-42C7-BCE3-56A64332710E.jpeg

98302A4F-1710-4F0B-B910-96F05F699430.jpeg

E5E2254D-5285-454F-B0FB-27BB144BF271.jpeg

66997775-C7BA-4422-BA2A-F6A4B4E80DD5.png

A866616F-D19F-4B20-875D-E097F27E1F3E.png

74ACDC3C-B26D-423F-8103-D3EE0FA498F5.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I like this idea,do you mean warren cutlery ?I have carved made wooden knives never really made a knife from scratch.

I have been building bird houses/feeders from scrap pine boards also cut out a few lawn decorations.Time and tools is no issue.1 year 2 surgery's and still not being non weight bearing on my own leg is causing me to go crazy I have no idea how people deal with not being able to do what they want in life I never really liked change but have adopted accepted that this may be the way life/mine will have to be.2017 can kiss my butt!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Just went out yesterday and last night. It was single digits for temp but dressed for it.
8a65ab0a02194cf2997d2368d320eb82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hell yeah shits been cold for sure..we need more snow though my studded track goes right down to the dirt and grass in the fields

3 hours ago, Dom said:

I like this idea,do you mean warren cutlery ?I have carved made wooden knives never really made a knife from scratch.

For the knife making stuff I went here for supplies;

http://www.knifemaking.com/default.asp

You Tube has tons of videos; Lots of videos on different steels to chose, I've started with O1 tool steel but there are many choices. I felt the O1 was a good start with strait forward heat treating and good working edge.

I found this to be helpful for hardening and made the coffee can/propane torch furnace that you can find on youtube;

For woodworking stuff Warren Cutlery has 2 shops, one is kitchen/chef supplies on 9 and woodworking is on 9G. Jim Zitz is owner and very helpful especially on stuff like how to sharpen.....I've bought this starter carving kit as a gift for several folks over the years;

https://www.warrencutlery.com/product-info.php?pid173.html

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2