My last new Remington

Buckmaster7600

I had said years ago that I was done buying new Remington's as the quality is just not close to what it was. That was until a member here told me about a special run of 7600 carbines in 35whelen. Although I already had 2 I figured I had ought to add one of these to the collection but with my previous terrible experience with new Remington's I ordered 2 hoping to get or be able to make a good one.

The first one I unboxed cleaned mounted a scope and shot had a 9lb trigger that was absolutely disgusting. My first magazine had 3 failure to feeds. I got an older "good" mag out of the cabinet and it cycled fine other than 1 failure to extract in about 50rds. From a lead sled the very best group I shot was just under 4" at 100yds. I tried approximately 10 different loads both factory and hand loads.

The second one I opened had just as bad of a trigger but was only 7lbs. It had a few failures to feed with the new mag but has ran fine with an old mag. I have gotten it to shoot 3 shot groups under 2" groups with this terrible trigger.

Side by side with all the other 7600's I have from the 80's and 90's the new ones aren't even comparable with in quality. The bad one has already went down the road and this new one is likely to be a closet queen. It's too bad that Remington has fallen the way they have.

7ea24935f0a87d5d8636094d39928adf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my older remington 700's.  I agree with you, I wouldn't buy new.  I got a 270 and a 30-06 700 ADL.  One is 1978 the other 1982.  I am wandering gunshops in hopes to find an old remington 700 in 223.

I am set on big woods hunting with a browning BLR stainless steel lightweight in 450 marlin.   Sometimes I bring a glenfield 30 with lyman peep, or a chinese SKS with lyman peep.

Brakes are grinding on the truck, house roof is leaking, kid in college,  and woman is complaining about furniture.......   No new gun in sight.  Just happy enough to have some extra gas money and free time to get to the cabin for a weekend.

Edited by sailinghudson25

I was a little scared to try one of the new "Remlin" levers, but so far so good with the new 336BL I picked up last summer (on the range anyhow).  The trigger is about average, and the fit and finish are good.  It cycles ok, but is still a little tight.  I like the way it handles with the short barrel and "big loop".  It seems to pop gallon jugs of water offhand with open sights pretty good at 50 yards, but I will reserve any other comment on it's quality until I try it on a deer. 

Maybe that will happen this fall depending on the weather.  I still prefer hunting with a scoped bolt-action in good weather, so this open sighted lever will only get used in rain or snow with high winds. If it fails in those conditions, I will go back to my old, open-sight, short-barreled Remington 870 pump 12 gauge.  That one has got the job done every time, but not all on the first shot.  It is nice having those four other quick ones.  I can cycle the pump a bit faster than the lever.      

29 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I was a little scared to try one of the new "Remlin" levers, but so far so good with the new 336BL I picked up last summer (on the range anyhow).  The trigger is about average, and the fit and finish are good.  It cycles ok, but is still a little tight.  I like the way it handles with the short barrel and "big loop".  It seems to pop gallon jugs of water offhand with open sights pretty good at 50 yards, but I will reserve any other comment on it's quality until I try it on a deer. 

Maybe that will happen this fall depending on the weather.  I still prefer hunting with a scoped bolt-action in good weather, so this open sighted lever will only get used in rain or snow with high winds. If it fails in those conditions, I will go back to my old, open-sight, short-barreled Remington 870 pump 12 gauge.  That one has got the job done every time, but not all on the first shot.  It is nice having those four other quick ones.  I can cycle the pump a bit faster than the lever.      

That is a nice looking gun 

2 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

I like my older remington 700's.  I agree with you, I wouldn't buy new.  I got a 270 and a 30-06 700 ADL.  One is 1978 the other 1982.  I am wandering gunshops in hopes to find an old remington 700 in 223.

I've heard that some lower end 700's have had some rusting issues with the finish that is put on them, but functionally I would not hesitate to buy any new 700. The ones I've looked at appear just as good as any of the older ones, and many of the newer ones come with some neat features that weren't available 30 or 40 years ago.  Give me a Remington 700 of any vintage and I will drop game with it.  Won't make a difference that some folks these days like to bad mouth the company.

There are to rifles i am eyeing right now to buy not that I really need anymore guns but can you really have to many lol 

Both are made by Browning 

Bar and BLR take down .

In 30-06 .

Would of been nice if rem  made guns like that .

They would be much less I'm sure if they did . 

Edited by Storm914

If none of the 25 bolt guns can make you happy, then nothing will.

Oh I have a bunch of rifles that make me happy. I love pre 2000's 7600's that's why I have so many of them. I'm also pretty fond on my carbine BAR's that I had rebored to 358 Winchester and 35whelen, my Benelli r1 in 30-06 isn't too shabby either with its barrel cut to 18". I have a place in my heart for my savage 99's by far my favorite lever guns of all time. My Ruger 44mag carbines get woods time every year because they are so fun to shoot and a joy to tote. I have a few bolts that see the woods every year but usually not when I'm serious about killing my buck. A Tikka t3 that I cut the barrel down to about 18" and had rebored to 35whelen is my early season gun because it so light and nice to carry my custom shop model 7 in 358win that I want to love but have never really warmed up to usually sees the woods at least once a year. But when it gets to be around the 16th of November and There's some snow in the Adirondacks it will be a pump Remington in my hands if it's still snowing it will be my 7600Police with a 16" barrel that was rebored to 358win with a XS ghost ring peep and trijicon front post and if it's not snowing it will be my 35whelen carbine with a 1-5X vx3 leupy.

Hell to be honest about all rifles make me happy to shoot but when it comes to toting them for the day the list gets a lot shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger #1 International

Got any of THOSE?????

I think they are neat. Fairly light and very handy. I had a 30-06 I bought then sold right away as I just wanted the 4x Leupold at the time. 

My buddy bought it and I’m working him all the time for it.