weird

bubba

Right at the end of the article they provided a link to the details of the accident. Frankly, I think the guy is getting off real easy. It was one of those shootings that are real hard to envision or in any way justify. I'm sure that if I were a family member, I would be out for blood too. It was not a case of an errant slug hitting some unseen guy in the background. It was basically a "sound shot". Yes, there was a small amount of shared responsibility since they were both hunting after legal hours. But that does not excuse such reckless shooting. It sure sounds like everyone is bending over backwards to be as soft on this guy as they can. I would hope that the family will pursue a civil suit and at least exact some form of heavy-duty financial compensation to make up for what looks like a soft slap on the wrist by the criminal justice system. Until examples are made of these crazy people, I'm afraid that safety concerns for some will always remain the farthest thing from their mind.

By the way, did anybody notice that this guy could wind up spending less than a year in jail for killing his "hunting partner"?

He got off way too easy ! Should have gotten several year sentence .

It could have just as easily been another hunter coming out of the woods that had stayed until near dark to hunt and had a long walk . There is no excuse for the "accident" . To top it off , the guy that shot couldn't see well due to Diabetes . Kinda like being blind and driving a car !

I hope the deceased's family pursues the issue .

Hunting after hours, hunting with a shotgun during Muzzleloader only season, not identifying his target...and killing a human being... pretty much open and shut case with a guy getting off easy... he should be doing the sentence he got just for everything leading up to shooting his hunting partner... they should have threw the book at him for the killing.

Good to see some common sense in most of these replys....Hope a bunch of DEC officers read this

I guess your talking about me. If you read the article it makes no mention of hunting illegally after dark or with a shotgun at muzzleloader season. Yes if you click on the link with the story you get the whole picture. I get it after hearing all the facts, 1 year is a bit to lean. Fact is even with the muzzleloader he still would of been shot. The fact is the both were hunting after dark. Would you have a bit more remorse if it was a dad and his 16 year old kid? I think so... BTW I think when you carry a gun in the woods you better have all your facilities in order and know the law. Too often we humans take too much for granted, it could never happen to me, but it does.

I will grant you that they both made mistakes, but that is like saying well that car had one headlight out so he deserved to be run into.  I nor you need to have remorse.  The shooter needs to have remorse.  W eneed to have some mercy.  If he had shot his own 16 year old son, I would want him to have an even stiffer sentence for the following reasons.  He had hiis kid out there teaching him the wrong and ILLEGAL way to do things, and he had no regard for human life.  He will get out in a year and I bet will take a hunter safety course and want to hunt again.  If it were yor family member who was  KILLED, would you show mercy in this situation?  Show a litle empathy for the family. And the whole diabetes thing was a joke in court. He used it as a defense.  It was proven he did not even have a diagnosis of diabetes.  Real remorse there. 

Good to see some common sense in most of these replys....Hope a bunch of DEC officers read this

I guess your talking about me. If you read the article it makes no mention of hunting illegally after dark or with a shotgun at muzzleloader season. Yes if you click on the link with the story you get the whole picture. I get it after hearing all the facts, 1 year is a bit to lean. Fact is even with the muzzleloader he still would of been shot. The fact is the both were hunting after dark. Would you have a bit more remorse if it was a dad and his 16 year old kid? I think so... BTW I think when you carry a gun in the woods you better have all your facilities in order and know the law. Too often we humans take too much for granted, it could never happen to me, but it does.

If it was his 16 year old kid that he shot.. he would have imposed his own lifetime sentence.. a lifetime without his child! I didn't get anywhere in the story that the guy killed was a friend of his.. or just a guy joining in their "poaching" group that evening... I might have missed it though. Doesn't seem to me he had any concern about anyones safety anyway

If it was his 16 year old kid that he shot.. he would have imposed his own lifetime sentence.. a lifetime without his child! I didn't get anywhere in the story that the guy killed was a friend of his.. or just a guy joining in their "poaching" group that evening... I might have missed it though. Doesn't seem to me he had any concern about anyones safety anyway

Yes that would be a life long sentence indeed. I think it just says hunting companion.

I will grant you that they both made mistakes, but that is like saying well that car had one headlight out so he deserved to be run into.  I nor you need to have remorse.  The shooter needs to have remorse.  W eneed to have some mercy.  If he had shot his own 16 year old son, I would want him to have an even stiffer sentence for the following reasons.  He had hiis kid out there teaching him the wrong and ILLEGAL way to do things, and he had no regard for human life.  He will get out in a year and I bet will take a hunter safety course and want to hunt again.  If it were yor family member who was  KILLED, would you show mercy in this situation?  Show a litle empathy for the family. And the whole diabetes thing was a joke in court. He used it as a defense.  It was proven he did not even have a diagnosis of diabetes.  Real remorse there.

It was all illegal we know that. Was there intent to kill, no. I would not push for a harsher sentence. The individual should be banned from the use of any type of weapon for life. 3-5 years in jail. Imposing a harsher sentence on a Father that mistakingly kills his son, wether legal or not, will destroy the family even more. JMO

Talk about a weird "hunting" accident, did anyone catch that Dateline story last Friday night where a wife shot her husband while out hunting?  Quite a story.  Here is the link where you can watch the whole segment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/vp/42724030#42724030

It's the April 22 story called "As darkness fell".

Wow, interesting story. Thanks for posting that.

Yea that was good, hits many topics we talk about here. All should watch.

Yeah, and it maybe brings up one more issue, which is that we maybe shouldn't hunt with our wives if we are having any marital issues or if the wife recently took out a bigger life insurance plan on us!  LOL

I can see how the anticiapation of seeing a bear could have happened especially if she didn't hunt them a lot. Everyone greives differently.who knows for sure only her.....

If she had been someone who hunts, but really didn't shoot a gun very often, I would give her the benefit of the doubt.  But since she was a very experienced shooter who even shot at 1000 yard targets and was considered a really good shot, I think she should have darned well known not to pull the trigger unless she was 110% sure of her target.  You are right, she is the ONLY one who knows for sure what happened, but if she did shoot him because she wanted to, she definitely picked the right way to do it and get away with it!!

It was all illegal we know that. Was there intent to kill, no. I would not push for a harsher sentence. The individual should be banned from the use of any type of weapon for life. 3-5 years in jail. Imposing a harsher sentence on a Father that mistakingly kills his son, wether legal or not, will destroy the family even more. JMO

then IMO they should not be out breaking the law, they would not have to worry about destroying the family.  what about the family of the guy he killed?  I bet he was someones dad and son.  Do they not count? 1 to 3 years indeterminate.  that means he could be out in a year.  If he drove drunk and killed somene, should he deserve more then?   

then IMO they should not be out breaking the law, they would not have to worry about destroying the family.  what about the family of the guy he killed?  I bet he was someones dad and son.  Do they not count? 1 to 3 years indeterminate.  that means he could be out in a year.  If he drove drunk and killed somene, should he deserve more then? 

Bubba,

You know as well as I that this could of happened in a legal hunting situation. Wether or not they were breaking the law is not the point here. We are just stating our opinions and mine differs from yours. No big deal. This happens in legal and illegal situations and both families suffer in the long run. Hunt smart-Hunt safe.