post-456-131455297201_thumb.jpg

post-456-131455297228_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predators and woodchucks get my Remmy 700 SPS

DSC_5560.jpg

Predators might also get a taste of my primary deer gun, a TC Encore pistol chambered in 260 Rem

DSC_5414-1.jpg

During bow season, I have my PSE Octane that shoots CX shafts tipped with whatever flavor of broadhead I feel like using at the time

DSC_5287.jpg

For turkey, I use my clays/skeet gun, a Charles Daly 12ga autoloader

Daly001.jpg

I also have a Mossberg 500 20ga that I use for deer, but no pics of it. Its dropped many many deer over the years. Oh and a Marlin 30-30 lever action for times I feel like goin old school lol.

Early on I had Ben Pearson, Shakespeare, Wing, Damon Howatt Super Diablo and Bear recurves, and then bought my first compound ..... a butt-ugly bear whitetail which by the way probably still holds the record for the most deer I've taken with a single bow.

My first quality compound bow was a PSE Citation. I shot that for a few years for hunting and field archery and then bought some 40# competition limbs and rebuilt the whole bow giving it a new fancy paint job (of course that made it shoot better scores). Then I bought a PSE Laser for hunting. Both PSE bows were exceptional for the time as far as being top of the line, high performance bows. Of course, I was getting into the mode where I had to always have the best ..... ha-ha, so I bought a Bear Tamerlane for tournament shooting and then started making my way through Golden Eagle, pro-line, and finally up to the Mathews MQ-32 that I still shoot today. Oh yeah, I won a Ben Pearson compound as a door prize when Jim's pro-shop first opened up on route 332. He's in Manchester now. That one I gave to one of my sons who needed a new bow at the time.

But I must say that the early PSE bows treated me pretty good and I was always a fan, but I simply couldn't stay with one manufacturer until I finally bought the Matthews. Now it looks like the last bow I ever will buy unless it breaks or something. I've now entered the "cheapskate" stage of my life ..... lol. The same old bow and 1980's vintage Easton Autumn Orange XX-75 arrows, and they are still killing deer.

Doc

Bow season: 60# PSE Nova Hunter, Easton Raider Carbon Arrows, 100 gr. Rage 2-blade broadheads

Shotgun season: Remington 870 12 ga., smoothbore with saddle-mounted red dot scope (also my turkey gun)(also waterfowl after removing the scope and mount)

Rifle: 1942 Mosin-Nagant 91/30 w/ iron sights....currently saving for a Marlin 336 in .30-30

Small-game: Ruger 10/22 w/ Tasco 3-9x32 scope

Upland: saving for a Stoeger uplander in 20 ga

My princible deer rifle is a Remington 700BDL 270win LH with a 6Xwidefield Redfield scope.

Bear Rifle is a Remington 700BDL 30-06 LH with a 4X12 rangefinder Redfield Scope.

Muzzleloader is a Thompson center Black Diamond 45cal SS with a 3X9 Burris SS

Bow is a Jennings Forked Lightning

Hand gun is a Thompson center contender 35rem. with 3X6 Burris scope and a Harris Bi-pod.

WNY....TC in .260.....I was looking at that caliber to barrel and grip my Encore in it when my permit comes through....do you like it...how is the comparable recoil to a standard pistol caliber?

I love it, Ive gotten pretty good with it out to 200 yards so far. The recoil is worse than my 40, but it is a rifle round lol. You get used to it. You might want to make sure you can put the pistol barrel and grip on an Encore frame that didnt come as a pistol. I thought I heard that you cant legally do that, but dont take my word for it, I just heard it and have never confirmed it.

From what I have found out the Encore will accept them and the NY permit needs to have EACH added even thought the receiver has the numbers. so if I get the 260 and a 22 LR I must add BOTH to the permit.

I have done a lot of shooting with heavy pistols but have never touched off a rifle bullet in one. I was curious how it compared  to say a 44 mag with hot hunting loads.

Culver, I didnt mean they wouldnt physically work, I meant that I heard it was illegal to do in NY. What I heard was that you had to buy the frame as a pistol originally, but it didnt really make sense to me and I wasnt worried about it.

You are correct on the barrels being listed on the permit. Each barrel is listed with the serial number of the frame.

Ive never shot a 44 mag, so Im not sure. If you are in the area and wanted to meet up and run a few rounds though it, you are more than welcome to do so.

My main deer rifle is a Kimber 84M Montana in 7mm-08 with Kevlar and stainless, sporting a matte Leupold 3x9 Compact scope and a thin web sling.  At 6.5 pounds total loaded in the field weight, it is a great mountain rifle for Whitetail.  It has a great trigger and accuracy of M.O.A. or better with hunting loads.  I've used about a dozen other rifles for Whitetail over 40 years until I got this one.  I'll be using it for the rest of my deer hunting days.

• 2 weeks later...

For Ground Hogs and small critters - 22-250

For really long distance small critters and coyotes or pronghorn, Remington 700 chambered 6X284, Hart Match barrel

White Tail - remington Sendero 700 chambered 6.5-06, Rock Creek 5r barrel

Mulies or medium size game depending on terrain 6.5-06 or 30-06 Marlin MR-7(made in the early 90's)

Large game - 338 win off the shelf Ruger stainless,M77

My two hunting weapons are in my sig.  If I get a chance to take any big game (not likely since I don't own a truck) it will be with the bow, shotgun for everything else.

Why can't you shoot a deer and stuff in the trunk of what ever car you have? Or do you not have a vehicle..maybe I misunderstood.