Old/care

Dom

I have an old single shot .22 Stevens model 15 and the bolt is a little sticky and wanted to know what oils you use?The gun shoots fine and ejects well For 80 years old this is a dandy of a gun.My grandfather paid 10.00 for this and gave to my Dad and has been mine since I was 10

""That I have done but WD-40 is for water dispersion not a lubricant""

It  can be used as a lubricant. In fact is was used in the military as standard issue when lives were at stake. The back of the label specifically says: Protects, penetrates, & lubricates. It can be used for cleaning also but it sounds like you are looking for a exotic lubricant instead of something you can get anywhere. Everybody uses something different...I use what works and can be used on just about anything. Kills bees also;)

wd40-1gal.png

Edited by Steve D

8 minutes ago, Steve D said:

It  can be used as a lubricant. In fact is was used in the military as standard issue when lives were at stake. The back of the label specifically says: Protects, penetrates, & lubricates. It can be used for cleaning also but it sounds like you are looking for a exotic lubricant instead of something you can get anywhere. Everybody uses something different...I use what works and can be used on just about anything. Kills bees also;)

wd40-1gal.png

No Sir not looking for exotic I have tried wd and seem like it dries up after a few days kinda like it has not much of a oil salution in it.I am a cheap Bastard.

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

If you are looking to clean it up and put it away this stuff is great. A jar will last forever. Not sure of the current price since I am still on my first jar.

http://www.raysgunwax.com/

I just want to treat it rite I use it all the time,infact its a better shooting .22 than my 10-22ruger thankyou for information.

5 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Be careful with WD-40. It is a solvent therefor takes all to good oils of too. If you keep up with it you don't have to worry but if you stash it for a couple months you might come back to rust!

For being the age of the firearm it has no rust at all must be the quality steel.

8 minutes ago, Dom said:

I just want to treat it rite I use it all the time,infact its a better shooting .22 than my 10-22ruger thankyou for information.

That's not saying much those 10/22 don't shoot for a crap at least the ones I have owned and shot. For cleaning I like to use carb cleaner, it takes all oils and stuck on grim off.  DO NOT USE ON YOUR STOCK OR ANYWHERE NEAR IT! Wipe down afterwards with G96 then all the moving parts get a light and I mean light coat of Rem Oil. I haven't had an issue ever with guns rusting or sticking parts.

Here is a link: Smells way better than hoppes too.

https://www.amazon.com/G96-1055P-Complete-Triple-Action-Treatment/dp/B0000DD5TL

Edited by chas0218
Added link

The first step is to thoroughly clean all the old grime and grit off both the outside and inside of the bolt. If you're not comfortable disassembling the bolt just put it in a bath of automotive parts cleaner for a couple of days and swish it around frequently without disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the pan. Let it dry completely and then add a light coating of any good gun lube.

Make sure there is no scalling or scratches on the camming surfaces of either the bolt or the receiver as well. A very light polishing may be necessary on those areas. Best of luck.

ETA: The only time I use WD40 on a gun is maybe to remove light exterior surface rust with very fine steel wool. It's not a firearm product IMO.

Edited by philoshop

Not to hijack your thread,Dom, but my Dad's  Stevens M 15 is the first REAL gun I ever hunted with...My Mom bought it for him for his birthday in the 1950s...Paid $15 for it at our local Western Auto store...He used it mostly for coon hunting..

When I was 10 or 11 Dad started letting me take it out on his property...I killed my first coon, woodchuck, rabbit , squirrel, crow, grouse and fox with that rifle along  with other  " targets of opportunity"  such as pigeons, starlings, chipmunks,  and red squirrels..

I still have it and it still shoots good...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Not to hijack your thread,Dom, but my Dad's  Stevens M 15 is the first REAL gun I ever hunted with...My Mom bought it for him for his birthday in the 1950s...Paid $15 for it at our local Western Auto store...He used it mostly for coon hunting..

When I was 10 or 11 Dad started letting me take it out on his property...I killed my first coon, woodchuck, rabbit , squirrel, crow, grouse and fox with that rifle along  with other  " targets of opportunity"  such as pigeons, starlings, chipmunks,  and red squirrels..

I still have it and it still shoots good...

Likewise best ever .22 and still my go to for small game,

• Like 1