.44 Revolvers

Five Seasons

I have to go along with a lot of the others...the Ruger Super Blackhawk, single action, is a bombproof great pointing, accurate handgun, probably the best bang for the buck. John Wayne styling. If you shoot it at all, the short barrel .44s are truly brutal, but the Super Blackhawk I feel has very reasonable recoil...but I also loaded a lighter bullet than the standard 240 gr.

ON the other hand, as others have said....the S&W model 29 is THE .44 mag, first commercially made, impeccable craftsmanship and as accurate or more so than most anything out there. A good handful of bucks still, but a lot less dough than the Anaconda.

Larry, I did not, I ,may have entertained the thought , but didn’t go through with it. 

I sold that gun to a collector , who’s permit was as thick as a deck of cards !

That DW was the only DW missing from his collection .

I still have a six inch .22, best trigger on any gun I’ve had.

6 hours ago, chrisw said:

I did a lot of research a few years back when I was looking for a 44 for hunting, I had my mind settled on a Blackhawk, then I came across a deal too good to pass up on a Redhawk. I put a rail and red dot on it and it shoots great. b33b8a90ea3865803de7cb104588231a.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chrisw , I had the same thing happen . I was dead set on a super Blackhawk hunter and walked into the local field and stream and they had a  very lightly used super  red hawk for $450 and well I bought it. 

• Like 1

Belo

The super  red hawk  and red hawk have a few differences . One  is the super has separate trigger and hammer springs,  the red hawk has a single spring ( makes the super easier to tune like reducing trigger pull with out affecting the hammer )

The super has a extended frame for the barrel to thread into making it stronger, now one or the other would take any abuse you could throw at it. But the super is supposed to be be stronger . Ruger only offers the red hawk in 357, 41, 44 and 45 . Now the super they offer in 10 mm,41,44,454 and 480. 

The grips are totally different  and I prefer to have my optics mounted over the frame instead on the barrel . 

Now the black hawks ( a smaller framed gun chambered in 357 ,30 carbine , 41 and 45. The  super black hawks  are chambered in ( 41, 44. They are chambered in  454 and 480 but are 5 shot cylinder ) both  are single actions .  Cock it every time you want to shoot , open the loading gate and rotate the cylinder to load each round one at a time. 

completely different grip from the double actions , the plow handle grip is designed to roll the gun up in the hand to manage recoil , causing one to regrip the gun after every shot and not the best for heavy recoiling guns . The Blackhawk also has a grip called a Bisley grip , it makes the gun act like a double action making the recoil come back instead of rolling and is used on the larger calibers  in 454,480. I have never shot a bisely grip but have read guys with big ( fat) fingers will get hammered by the trigger guard . I did handle a bisley hunter and when I wrapped my meat paws around the grip the trigger guard was right up against my finger . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Thanks 1