How would you rank big game hunting compared to all other states in the country

Hunter007

Tough question, Stormy.... Before I answered that I would need to know what criteria are being considered...

Number of big game species available ?   Success rates ?  trophy quality ?  Amount of quality public land ?

Lots of stuff to be considered..

29 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Tough question, Stormy.... Before I answered that I would need to know what criteria are being considered...

Number of big game species available ?   Success rates ?  trophy quality ?  Amount of quality public land ?

Lots of stuff to be considered..

Amount of quality of  public land ? I guess then number of big game species. Then everything else you listed 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Until you go west and check draws like these for big game, I don’t think you can say NY is a perfect 10/10

8283d13c33a8375c4978dd6dacde15ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been to every state in the lower 48 except 2 and 

As far as landscapes go new York ranks at the top in my book . As for big game hunting   Im pretty sure there are better places out west for the north east new York ranks high I would say 

20170813_154248.jpg

Edited by Storm914

I have been to every state in the lower 48 except 2 and 
As far as landscapes go new York ranks at the top in my book .  Im pretty sure there are better places out west .
In the north east new York ranks high I would say 
20170813_154248.thumb.jpg.28c8a4046d978549e31ac9c6a9e95552.jpg

That pic is cold spring, NY. Am I right?

Ha-ha-ha...... There is always that "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome. Personally, I have not hunted every other state in the country to the same extent as I have hunted here, and wouldn't even pretend to offer a credible assessment regarding the whole country. For me, based on real full-time hunting experience, this is the state that I live in, so it offers me the best hunting that is available to me. This is where I can spend an unlimited amount of time hunting, and that makes it the best for me.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

I enjoy the hunting opportunity NY has to offer. There is always room for improvement. The issue with changing something though is whats good for me maybe bad for you. My satisfaction with hunting in NY would be an 8.

Yes, 8 sounds about right, and the only reason for the 2 point deduction is the growing scarcity of available hunting land. And that statement is made confessing that I have no idea whether other states are significantly any better.

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I know because I got married there. Hudson House restaurant right near your pic is really tasty restaurant

Never been to the restaurants , only  the Pizzeria and ice cream shops there are really good  in the summer the ice cream shop near that picture has a line out the door  Pretty famous in that area . 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

New York has great opportunity with big game hunting for deer and bear.. perhaps moose in the future. Public land is plentiful and within an hour of every major city. Bag limits are large. 

Compared to other states N.Y.  is affordable and has a fairly high success rates. Is it the best ? No the worse? no.. other pills put ny low due to cold weather and snow.. to me that's an attraction.  The deer hunting here is as good as any other state I would not travel anywhere to kill a deer. Another species yes. ( I know people want to SAY well I want a 180in but I enjoy 140s 150s and in reality the same size deer are available here as are normally shot in other states) the biggest thing that keeps my in the middle is the number of hunters..but. after opening week you can find yourself alone in vast tracks of land with a little effort. The average long shot distance in ny is 100 yards.

Western states is much further.. personally anythi g over 100 yards to me is target practice not hunting.. 

I'm primarily just a deer hunter. Is there a world record deer roaming NY? Probably not. But that's really not what I'm hunting for. However, there are some beautiful bucks taken each year in NY. Many pictures posted of them right here, on this forum. Plenty of good public Iand access. And the beauty of the different landscapes here, are truly breathtaking. The change and variety of weather, from start to finish of big game season here. Is both challenging and welcome to me.  Yes, there are other places, where there is more big game opportunities. But our opportunities here are plentiful. NY is where I started, and will end my hunting. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but I'd rate NY, a solid 7 to 8.

• Like 6

I do think NY's landscape is very beautiful and great to hunt in.  You either have rolling farm country or densely vegetated woodlands.  I think out west, you do get more sweeping panoramic landscapes, which I guess some people prefer.  Not that I haven't appreciated my visits out west, but I'm partial to the landscape and climate of the northeast...water is overly abundant here whereas it is quickly becoming a rare commodity in parts of the west.

For hunting access, I think it's relative.  Compared to west I think NY's hunting access is mediocre at best; that's less indicative of a problem with NY and more indicative of the fact that there is so much public land to hunt on out west.  Compared to the rest of the northeast, though excepting parts of Canada, NY's land access is unrivaled.  I only say that because of the extensive public lands that we have in the Northern Zone (ADK's and Tug Hill) and Central NY (Catskills).

The hunter pressure on public lands in western NY is a bit of a challenge to deal with.  You either need to get into the early season (bow, muzzle loader) or get access to private lands to avoid the crowds.

Edited by Padre86