Ok pick a spot on my spot

Nomad

Thanks to G Man, I love the idea here’s my main spot.

black line boarder of where I hunt about 90 acres .

red - open hardwoods

yellow - thick stuff 

X ‘d off yellow really nasty can’t walk you gotta crawl thick stuff

blue - open field with mowed  path around it an that white snake like thing is a driveable lane , that side gets mowed too ,the yellow is thicker overgrown field/ brush

white line - the field and woods east of it are a slope which levels out again at the East end of woods

The crop fields to the North and South go about one mile . I’m surrounded by corn,beans ,alpha,clover.

Pick your spot and why .

thanks for, playing .

5276F1CA-45AA-466C-99F2-1CCCC75FFDC5.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I see five good looking spots.  I would have stands at the three points of the cross-hatched yellow triangle and let the wind direction determine which one I hunted, taking bedding areas, feeding areas, and access into consideration.   The point closest to field E, or the upper one near the lane might be best early, before the gun opener.  After they know it's on, the point closer to the center of the woods would probably be best.  There are also a couple inside corners for good stand locations, one below the e in "Google", and another by that field to the south-west.  They would be my first choice if the adjacent field held standing corn.    

I would stay off field edges , there appears to be a drainage or intermittent stream cutting thru woods and exiting out the north I would set up 50 to 70 yard  on inside corner and follow what looks like a drainage to the north for more sign /crossings. I assume a sw or nw wind and that main bedding would be in thick yellow hash area. . If wind assumption is correct entrance from north wood lot line for sw  wind and southern line for me. 

I would not use mowed trail to east of hashed area as I feel travel there by other will move deer out . And I do not care for field hunting as better bucks will always hold up inside woods till dark20180321_213554.thumb.jpg.cef08e23b38ddc8244a7e895e1f1e4fa.jpg

• Like 1

Id have to look at a topo map, but having an idea of the area you hunt, I can kinda guess at how it lays out. I tried not to get too crazy, but here are some spots I would definitely at least want to look at. Exact stand placement would depend on what I saw in that area once I had boots on the ground, of course. All stands would be 25-50 yards from the field edges inside the woods

Red star - In the thick stuff near the super thick crap with a predominately WSW wind and a point sticking into a crop field. That looks like a good situation to me.

Blue star - Sounds like you have a bit of a ridge in that area that runs between bedding and crops, plus the inside corner. I would probably have another stand a bit South and East of that one in the same general area to cover the edge of the thick and open hardwoods.

Orange star - Similar reasons as Blue, but would have to wait for an Easterly wind for that one

Purple star - Im guessing that deer are going to be crossing from the woods in the upper left corner, over to your section of woods. I would want to cover that area at times. Access would be a bit on the tough side, and definitely only with the right winds.

Yellow star - Inside corner, alfalfa field, looks like pretty low impact access.

Capture.JPG

Here's my ASSumptions... without boots on the ground. as much as access is important, i'm skipping it. just say don't have your wind go to where you planned deer to be feeding or bedding. and don't walk right through either to hunt them from a stand. i don't where you can you can get in and out from but options for each but not without assumption. 

1A and 1B - i assume the white line slope comment there's a valley and gut that runs down hill from 1A to 1B with an edge formed by the yellowed hatched area.  this might have sketchy winds in some situations but a hot spot hub for deer. especially 1A being an inside corner to the southwest crop field.

2A - assuming this is at the top of any kind of ridge that runs south to north deer love bedding here and traveling it. I think they'd come from the thick yellow area to the south out to the crop field to the north or to just loiter along. if the north east crop field is the field of choice i could see them traveling low moving along the blue, red, yellow edge past 2B or coming diagonally down the ridge past 2C. this might be good in the early am but evenings or midday you might have to be careful of bumping or alerting bedded deer.

3 - deer travel and next closest cover is off property to northwest. despite red is open woods deer still move through it if they have a reason. this corner is the closest distance to the nearest wood lot once the west crop field is harvested. whether deer are coming or going from the property doesn't matter. moving through that open woods it's less likely to bump deer you didn't know where there.

4 - this open woods could be hardmast trees or junk. either way there's nuts dropping or junk trees falling to create a patch of browse. i'd bet there's a checkpoint in the middle deer might often hit that'd be an option if there's enough activity there or specific deer is going through there.

5A and 5B - it's a break in the smooth edge of the east crop field and possible staging area between the two. looks like a definite dug drainage ditch but also a natural swale leading from it out through the east crop field. depending on how deep the dug one is it might provide access or egress to this spot while deer are close or out feeding. otherwise i'm thinking this might be a good crossing?? A or B is dependent on wind, range to trail, and maybe just a better setup.

6 - just because deer use man made travel routes when things are quiet and it's a natural funnel for travel whether its following anything that cover and not harvested fields or getting to what looks like a bar way for equipment access into the east field if the dug ditch is too crazy.

7 - its a green field to the south after other crops fields are gone. clover/alfalfa? the yellow is thick and who knows where deer are in there. best leave it as sanctuary and don't go in. you can access the spot along the east edge though if not use the west edge for something other than prevailing wind.

8 - kind of a big guess and why i picked it last. i see a swale going into the southwest crop field. thinking it's a spot deer come out from? how you'd get to it would depend on wind and time of day.

Capture2_edited.PNG

• Like 1

Anywhere that nasty thick stuff meets the woods with a cattle trail. Set up on it as the nasty thick stuff will end up being a bedding area. 

Using the map above:

1B (Dead calm or straight W wind in the afternoon only), 2B (S, SW and SSW winds), and 5B (N, NW, W winds) would all be my starting points and use them to play the wind.

6 would depend on the season and where the deer traffic is coming from.

Edited by chas0218

Ha ha , I’m at work and we’ve been pretty busy so far tonight  . I’ll post tomorrow, although DB’ did pretty darn good from a pic.....

many nailed a couple  good spots, I’ve had stands at all his spots, and a few are every year stands.

And I’d really like to know why he picked #8 ?

It’s a good spot but was lacking last year , but my whole bow season did , I think due to no crops planted . You’re welcome to any spot .

i just read DB’s post, prior I had just looked at his picks, I would hire him , as he nailed so many things that took me years of just stumbling around to,learn !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s a good spot but was lacking last year , but my whole bow season did , I think due to no crops planted . You’re welcome to any spot .

i just read DB’s post, prior I had just looked at his picks, I would hire him , as he nailed so many things that took me years of just stumbling around to,learn !

i'm just a 34 yr old farm kid, now with a salary job in the "city", little time to hunt, and trying desperately to keep up with the older more experienced.  now that i burned all my luck on your pick my spot game, i'll have to really step it up this fall.

• Like 1

Ok I marked  some stands and such, numbers are stands ,white line deer movement near them ,blue line is a brush hogged trail between woods and thick stuff.

Ok it’s next to impossible,to set up anywhere near yellow X out area, it doesn’t transition right from thicket to open woods, few good trees and still thick around it.

That point to the East, is a big pile of bulldozed trees rocks and such, no place for a stand and that East field has very little deer movement , they may pop out of thicket but go right back in .

Stand 1 classic inside corner great Am /PM.

Stand 2 it only 15 yards in and lots of movement E/W my one friend sits there all the time killed lots of does and 2 1/2 there , no big ones as it’s to open around that stand .

Stand 3 maybe 30 yards farther in , but since it’s way thicker better bucks move through in and out of yellow X area, farthest shot at all maybe 20 yards .

Stand 4, 30yards in great movement and decent bucks , maybe more bucks then does, they travel N/S , But seldom walk by stand 2 after passing 4, they head more towards center .

Stand 5 it’s 30yards in , and at the base of the sloped field they like to enter and exit there, bucks will come from yellow X area , as well as tear up the wood line there . I’m blew it on a monster there 2 years ago, my boot made the slightest squeak ....and gone .

Stand 6 again 30 so,yards in, new last year jury still out.

Stand 7 allows me with a rifle to hunt most of that little field lots of deer movement along edge of field and woods, in bow .

The white line in that field is a drainage, it’s maybe two foot lower then the rest of the field and they walk it, DB picked up on the faint line in pic I guess and knew they would walk it as his stand, was right on the spot they enter / exit .

Yes then can and are anywhere in yellow areas, I only hunt the edges trying to go,only 30or so,yards in .

Some of the picks guys had are good spots, just impossible due to lack of sizable trees and brush so thick there are no shots, I’ve tried for a couple years to find a spot in the S/E corner of the large yellow area .

A young guy from next farm over hunts the south edge of the thicket ( their farm at they point) and I’ve given him right of recovery.

the farm plows up,the ground right after harvest btw .

The open hardwoods in gun just shuts down , for the most part .

Over 30years I’ve had stands and killed deer pretty much everywhere there, and didn’t list all,the spots ,it’s long enough of a post now .....

3F9C7272-157D-4553-ABF3-FD636C74F5D3.png

• Like 1