Traditional fixed blade screw-in 125gr broadhead for turkey?

left field

I would still use a heavy head. Those feathers can be hard to punch through! Specially if you hit the wing but. I just read in a magazine to use a broadhead stopper like these.http://www.stickshootersupplies.co.nz/gallery/Arrow%2Bheads%2Bsmall%2Bgame/zwickey-scorpios-broadhead-stoppers/442681?view=jumbo&order=date_added OR these https://www.3riversarchery.com/replacement-claws-for-the-3rivers-tiger-claw-blunt.html.  I would definitely use a cut on contact though. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I would still use a heavy head. Those feathers can be hard to punch through! Specially if you hit the wing but. I just read in a magazine to use a broadhead stopper like these.http://www.stickshootersupplies.co.nz/gallery/Arrow%2Bheads%2Bsmall%2Bgame/zwickey-scorpios-broadhead-stoppers/442681?view=jumbo&order=date_added OR these https://www.3riversarchery.com/replacement-claws-for-the-3rivers-tiger-claw-blunt.html.  I would definitely use a cut on contact though. 

Neat idea.  I wonder if they would slide back a few inches.  As long as they are ahead of the rest at full draw, it seems they would be perfect for leaving that arrow in the bird while still getting needed penetration.

Biggamefish is right . Those small game adder points work well, had a buddy that used them ( I believe they were Bateman adder points, pretty sure Lancaster archery carry’s them )   behind some Simmons tree sharks ( there like 180-190 grain heads though ) on his trad bow for turkeys. Give the  Simmons shark broadheads a look, they have lighter but the tree sharks are like a 2 inch cut 2 blade head. Any turkey with a bow is special, but two thumbs up to one taken  with trad gear.. hope you get one..

Edited by rob-c

33 minutes ago, left field said:

Thanks for the tips. I have a number of those game claws and may try one. Feel free to mention favoured calls as well. 

To clarify, my plan is to go turkey hunting. Turkey killing may be an entirely different challenge.

Best of luck to ya!!!  It's all in the "hunting", that makes it fun! Come back to let us know how ya do!

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I wonder if a moderate sized mechanical head would have the same effect.  Stops the pass through penetration from a slow recurve but probably still deep enough to leave it in the bird with a wide cut.  HMMMMM

i don't know about moderate sized but i was thinking about using the original Rage titanium heads i still have going. i think they're 2" cut. 2 blades and the tip is cut on contact with a definite sharp point compared to the original regular Rages. i was afraid the post this though. might make some all bothered and derail the whole thread.

16 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i don't know about moderate sized but i was thinking about using the original Rage titanium heads i still have going. i think they're 2" cut. 2 blades and the tip is cut on contact with a definite sharp point compared to the original regular Rages. i was afraid the post this though. might make some all bothered and derail the whole thread.

Logically it makes sense.  I know people have successfully used them on deer with traditional bows too.  I wouldn't due to lack of penetration.  But if that's the goal for turkey, seems like it would work.

If you don’t shoot then when they’re broadside or slightly quartering away you could kill them with about anything. I have saw wing bones do crazy thing to arrows including a ricochet where a mechanical rocket bounced off the turkey. I won’t shoot a broadside turkey with bows anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, rob-c said:

Biggamefish is right . Those small game adder points work well, had a buddy that used them ( I believe they were Bateman adder points, pretty sure Lancaster archery carry’s them )   behind some Simmons tree sharks ( there like 180-190 grain heads though ) on his trad bow for turkeys. Give the  Simmons shark broadheads a look, they have lighter but the tree sharks are like a 2 inch cut 2 blade head. Any turkey with a bow is special, but two thumbs up to one taken  with trad gear.. hope you get one..

I use the Simmons tiger sharks they are deadly on animals. Another idea would be to use a string tracker.  Just remenber to pull some string out and shoot it a couple time to get the string coming out easily.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:48 PM, moog5050 said:

Logically it makes sense.  I know people have successfully used them on deer with traditional bows too.  I wouldn't due to lack of penetration.  But if that's the goal for turkey, seems like it would work.

i've gotten pass-thru on every deer i've shot with them, gnarly bucks to 100 lb doe. different arrow weights too, but that's with compounds over 300 fps IBO. trad bows are a bit different.  i wouldn't use anything but a cut on contact head either.