Woodchuck Head Shot In NJ Over The Weekend!

TheFieldArcher

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mount him?  eat him?

No, but I am working on my skills... kinda like off season prep for the deer season. I figure if I am practicing on woodchucks all summer(that have excellent eyesight), when the fall rolls around I should be in good shape shooting at animals the size of a deer kill zone all off season!

I disagree with that.  If you shot it, you must do something constructive with it.  eat em, or mount em, or have a good reason to shoot it.  Coyotes, pigs, and rats are an exception to that rule.

The video was very skillful.  your skills are fine.  I'd go target shooting paper, rather than wood chucks.

(flame suit on)

I disagree with that.  If you shot it, you must do something constructive with it.  eat em, or mount em, or have a good reason to shoot it.  Coyotes, pigs, and rats are an exception to that rule.

The video was very skillful.  your skills are fine.  I'd go target shooting paper, rather than wood chucks.

(flame suit on)

Coyotes, pigs and rats are the exception? Why? Because you say so? How about the the horse breeder where I am hunting the chucks, if they step in a chuck whole in the high grass and suffer a break, too bad for him? Or the farmer that is receiving crop damage??? Funny how Coyotes, pigs, and rats are okay but chucks are not on your list, do they look too much like your pet guinea pig? Besides, chucks are good yote bait there tunnel vision!

blur you ever try woodchuck? Kind of relate it to fishing for carp about all they are good for is to catch not worth eating. Field i do the same just dust the chucks and leave them for nature to clean up they can cause the farmers thousands of dollars in damage to equipment and hours to fix the holes. Only good chuck is a dead one haha

blur you ever try woodchuck? Kind of relate it to fishing for carp about all they are good for is to catch not worth eating. Field i do the same just dust the chucks and leave them for nature to clean up they can cause the farmers thousands of dollars in damage to equipment and hours to fix the holes. Only good chuck is a dead one haha

blur obviously has never hunted woodchucks... shoot paper??? blur, try getting in bow range of a chuck. Chucks have excellent eyesight and you can find yourself in "non textbook" shooting positions when you do get in bow or crossbow range... you won't get that shooting paper... and paper won't "bust you" if your stalking skills need work(because you may suck at stalking and should practice). Thats my point, OFF SEASON PRACTICE AND GREAT FOR YOUTH OR GUY'S THAT ARE NEW TO BOW HUNTING.... still disagree? You shouldn't waste yotes, I think they are fluffy and cute! :)

I disagree with that.  If you shot it, you must do something constructive with it.  eat em, or mount em, or have a good reason to shoot it. 

If you shot him because he was doing crop damage to a local farmer, or he was digging holes on a horse farm, I think those would qualify as "good reasons".  I agree with Blur, though its probably the minority view on a hunting forum.  You should have a reason for killing something other than, "It was in range".

I disagree with you about killing animals just to practice marksmanship or stalking. You can stalk something without killing it.  I stalk deer out of season all the time, just to work on my skills.  And I shoot my bow from all different positions at targets, including from my treestand.  I also have never thought it was much of a challenge to sneak up on a woodchuck or muskrat. The ones that live near me must be use to having humans around because I've walked within 20 feet of them before they decide to waddle off. Just this Sunday I walked within 10 yards of a muskrat playing in a pond while I was turkey hunting.  Sat there for 15 minutes just enjoying nature at work before resuming my turkey seach.

To each their own. You were completely within your rights to shoot him for whatever reason, but other people are fully within their rights to say it rubs them the wrong way if you killed it for no productive use. Seems to me like this is all moot anyway. You sound like you had a reason to kill the animal, and if you do indeed use the corpse to bait in a couple of yotes, all the better.

I disagree with that.  If you shot it, you must do something constructive with it.  eat em, or mount em, or have a good reason to shoot it. 

If you shot him because he was doing crop damage to a local farmer, or he was digging holes on a horse farm, I think those would qualify as "good reasons".  I agree with Blur, though its probably the minority view on a hunting forum.  You should have a reason for killing something other than, "It was in range".

I disagree with you about killing animals just to practice marksmanship or stalking. You can stalk something without killing it.  I stalk deer out of season all the time, just to work on my skills.  And I shoot my bow from all different positions at targets, including from my treestand.  I also have never thought it was much of a challenge to sneak up on a woodchuck or muskrat. The ones that live near me must be use to having humans around because I've walked within 20 feet of them before they decide to waddle off. Just this Sunday I walked within 10 yards of a muskrat playing in a pond while I was turkey hunting.  Sat there for 15 minutes just enjoying nature at work before resuming my turkey seach.

To each their own. You were completely within your rights to shoot him for whatever reason, but other people are fully within their rights to say it rubs them the wrong way if you killed it for no productive use. Seems to me like this is all moot anyway. You sound like you had a reason to kill the animal, and if you do indeed use the corpse to bait in a couple of yotes, all the better.

I agree "different strokes for different folks!"... but when it comes to hunting and fellow hunters, I support what they do. I am not a big fan of trapping, but I support the guy's and gal's that enjoy it! I would never post something negative about trapping, especially against their videos, pulling up drowned beavers with traps on them is something I would not do... but I will stand behind those that choose to do it!

(flame suit on)

You do realize that woodchucks are not a game species, they are vermin, like a red squirrel. See how you feel about them after they tear up your yard, or cause damage to a barn, shed or your house. Chucks make great practice, I shoot them whenever possible. They are great for fine tuning your long range skills with a rifle as well.

(flame suit on)

Blur I fully agree with you, my rule is if you shoot it you eat it no exceptions. Or let it pass and just enjoy the wild life. Hunting to me means you hunt to eat not to kill something and leave it in the woods to rot that's how hunters get a bad name.

Dave

Dude, cool it with the theatrics.  Ultimate Warrior type face painting?  Keep your vids. for the NJ crowd.  Post it on newjerseyhunter.com instead of here.  That forum is full of numbskulls who will post 5 seperate things on a fart they just blew.

Also, did you shoot it over bait as well, just like all your deer?

(flame suit on)

Blur I fully agree with you, my rule is if you shoot it you eat it no exceptions. Or let it pass and just enjoy the wild life. Hunting to me means you hunt to eat not to kill something and leave it in the woods to rot that's how hunters get a bad name.

Dave

Predators and scavengers have to eat too. Nothing that dies in the woods goes to waste. Going out and killing game animals for no reason is one thing, but shooting vermin is another. You say you agree that coyotes, pigs and rats should be left to rot, but not woodchucks? Sounds like a bunch of contradiction to me.

Dude, cool it with the theatrics.  Ultimate Warrior type face painting?  Keep your vids. for the NJ crowd.  Post it on newjerseyhunter.com instead of here.  That forum is full of numbskulls who will post 5 seperate things on a fart they just blew.

Also, did you shoot it over bait as well, just like all your deer?

How about you speak for yourself and not the entire forum.  :)

Also, do you use trail cams, scents, food plots or calls to harvest your deer? Some would say you are not hunting fair if you do. If its legal, theres no reason to give the guy crap for it. If he was baiting illegally, then he would be poaching, but he wasnt.

(flame suit on)

Dave

Predators and scavengers have to eat too. Nothing that dies in the woods goes to waste. Going out and killing game animals for no reason is one thing, but shooting vermin is another. You say you agree that coyotes, pigs and rats should be left to rot, but not woodchucks? Sounds like a bunch of contradiction to me.

Let me make it perfectly clear to you I don't believe in shooting anything even coyote or pigs and rat's etc. Just to kill them for the sport of just killing something. To me that is not what hunters do, may be you are ok with this type of conduct but i am not.  So this is not a contradiction to me, I thought we were to support ethical hunting? Do you think this is ethical? Yes animals do die in the woods and mother nature takes care of that in her own way she needs no help from us just killing wildlife no matter what type it is to help her along.

Dave