Alaska in July ?

fasteddie

Has anyone been in Alaska in early July ? The wife and I will be going there and I am wondering what the weather is like that time of year . Friends said to take rain gear . I would like to pack light and don't want to take ant unnecessary clothing / gear along that  would just take up baggage space .  No , it won't be a hunting trip .  

Girls and I arrived in AK July 5th in 2009.  Anchorage but drove to other places.  We arrived to record setting temperatures. Took long underwear , fleeces etc.  Never wore any of it and had to wash of shorts and t shirts.  Walking on glaciers wearing shorts , t shirts and sunglasses was an odd concept.  Went to Talkeetna and shop owners were complaining of the heat , also said grizz were walking through town before we got there. The shops simply close their doors , wait for the bears to wander through and go about business as usual.  Pretty sure a NYS pistol permit has reciprocity in AK as an FYI. 

We caught very unusual weather for sure.  Take your thermacell as mosquitoes are size of hummingbirds 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I have been in Juneau  twice in late July/early August....Both times I was glad to have  a waterproof, insulated windbreaker type jacket....If you are going near water or at higher altitude ( such as Denali)  , dress warm....

We went 2 years ago in mid July...stopped at Juneau, Ketchicam and Skakway...was overcast, misty and 40's the whole trip.  Had a couple of days in the upper 30's...Sun never came out...jeans, shirt layers and a light rain coat worked for us ...also brought winter hat/gloves just in case.   Kids wore them.  incredible trip.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Girls and I arrived in AK July 5th in 2009.  Anchorage but drove to other places.  We arrived to record setting temperatures. Took long underwear , fleeces etc.  Never wore any of it and had to wash of shorts and t shirts.  Walking on glaciers wearing shorts , t shirts and sunglasses was an odd concept.  Went to Talkeetna and shop owners were complaining of the heat , also said grizz were walking through town before we got there. The shops simply close their doors , wait for the bears to wander through and go about business as usual.  Pretty sure a NYS pistol permit has reciprocity in AK as an FYI. 

10-4 on the reciprocity....

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Has anyone been in Alaska in early July ? The wife and I will be going there and I am wondering what the weather is like that time of year . Friends said to take rain gear . I would like to pack light and don't want to take ant unnecessary clothing / gear along that  would just take up baggage space .  No , it won't be a hunting trip .  

So fishing then!  

I couldn't do it.  Could never go to Alaska without dropping a line.  If I was on one of those cruises I'd be on the back deck trolling the whole time.  

Been to AK and Yukon ,but in August , there is often snow in the mountains by then . Weather temperature wise was ok, but you’ll want rain gear for sure. Pretty sure I was never in shorts ,

Those sunny pics you see in the travel sites are all taken on the one sunny day there ......

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So fishing then!  

I couldn't do it.  Could never go to Alaska without dropping a line.  If I was on one of those cruises I'd be on the back deck trolling the whole time.  

We wet waded and fished half azzed just to say we did. No fish running at the time. 

• Like 1

We are going on a 16 day tour which includes Anchorage , Prince William Sound , Fairbanks , Denali National Park , Kenai Fjords National Park , Gulf of Alaska , Glacier Bay National Park , Juneau , Ketchikan , Inside Passage and Vancouver . The whole thing is guided and we will not be doing any driving . 

T.F. ---- Thanks for the weather info ! :drinks:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Why is Alaska so cold if it’s south of Arizona?

Theres a guy who works in a different department than I, that swore Alaska was an island due to it being pictured on maps separately,  lol. xD

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

We are going on a 16 day tour which includes Anchorage , Prince William Sound , Fairbanks , Denali National Park , Kenai Fjords National Park , Gulf of Alaska , Glacier Bay National Park , Juneau , Ketchikan , Inside Passage and Vancouver . The whole thing is guided and we will not be doing any driving . 

Can I pm you about trip details? Would you mind? 

11 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Sent my parents on a similar trip for their 50th wedding aniv.; they had traveled a little around New England and to see family in Vega but never much else.

Never stopped talking about it after they got back. Have a good time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Can I pm you about trip details? Would you mind? 

Sure .... I don't know the cost . My wife is paying for it . I think she may have gotten me a One Way Ticket . We leave June 30 which is our 56th wedding anniversary . 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Sure .... I don't know the cost . My wife is paying for it . I think she may have gotten me a One Way Ticket . We leave June 30 which is our 56th wedding anniversary . 

If my dad knew how much it was he wouldn't have gone; but I had to give my mom paperwork with airlines etc.

I was at there place doing a gut/remodel job on their master bath, and dropped it on them to start packing last day when finishing up. Maybe 4 months out or so.

My dad tried for weeks to cancel, but cruise line wouldn't let him because of my card being used and my mother hiding the paperwork. LOL

I'll say this; cruise lines  was awesome. Special dinner at captains table,Cake, Champagne, Flowers for mom when boarding, Photographer/prints  all complimentary because I told them why I was booking and packaged all the excursions, air, hotels with them.

congrats on 56 years.

• Like 3

Informative thread, thanks. Mrs. & I are doing the Alaska cruise this summer (first week in August) for our 25th anniversary. I've never seen this part of the country before, closest I've gotten until now was Seattle. Looking forward to it, even if it's a little "touristy" for my taste. I DO have a day of fishing planned in Ketchikan, but I found my own guide, the trips being offered by the cruise line look weak.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Informative thread, thanks. Mrs. & I are doing the Alaska cruise this summer (first week in August) for our 25th anniversary. I've never seen this part of the country before, closest I've gotten until now was Seattle. Looking forward to it, even if it's a little "touristy" for my taste. I DO have a day of fishing planned in Ketchikan, but I found my own guide, the trips being offered by the cruise line look weak.

Uncle Nicky , you realize there’s no turkeys to hunt there right ?:negative:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Congrats on your anniversary! 

No no not looking for price, none of my business.   I will PM you though.

We went to Alaska in August and had excellent weather.  In the 60’s and 70’s most of the time.  When we were near the glaciers is was damp and colder, but still bearable.  We bought cheap fleece rain jackets in Anchorage before the tour started, so we were all set.  What a great trip!