How Many Hunters Usually Sit the day?

Geno C

How many of you guys usually sit the entire day in your stand?

i used to get out of my stand around 1030 and shoot back to the house for lunch. Since i started spending more seat time in my stand and sitting the entire day ive been noticing howmuch deer i actually miss around the time i leave and get back after lunch.

I see a ton of deer movement from between 11 and 1pm.

ive shot a few deer between 12 and 1. So now i make it a point to sit the day as much as i can. Ive been seeing alot more deer the past few years doin it.

just wondering if any others sit all day?

I usually sit the entire day depending on conditions and how I feel, seen lots of action when most people would be back home getting some grub. I try to sit all day during the bow season and I usually sit entire day for first few days of rifle and then I will get out for lunch and go back a couple hours later.

For me it also depends on the spot. On state land especially though, I sit all day. Ive seen a ton of deer between 10am and 2pm when other guys are walking in and out of the woods for/from lunch. My private land spots though, I know when the deer usually come through, so I mainly sit for partial days at them. Occasionally though, Ill do an all day sit at those too, the deer change their habits a bit from time to time.

Yes, on opening day of gun season I generally make a day of it. It's not my favorite thing to do, but on that day I do find it sometimes (but rarely) pays off. Otherwise a few hours after sunrise and a few hours before sunset pretty much maximizes the time spent.

Doc

I spend every day I am hunting deer, in the woods all day.  I believe the deer move a lot on the opener as hunters start moving into the woods and shooting. 

By 10 AM I think they have found a place to hide and stay there until things quiet down.  That usually occurs as most hunters leave the woods for lunch around 11 or 12 noon.  At this time I see deer, often big bucks, sneaking through the timber, with what looks like deliberate attention to get someplace.  It's as if they got caught in a place they don't want to be when the shooting started.

Once hunters begin to return to the woods after lunch, the deer start moving again and the chances of seeing a deer before dark are good for the rest of the day.

Even after the opener, I find the same facts are true, but to a lesser degree, as a lot of deer have already been taken, or fewer hunters occupy the woods.

i usually sit the whole day almost every time.... i love it, you never know when things can happen and it sometimes happens fast. i had a doe come in who was hot and not 30 minutes later i had a high 120" buck at 30 yards come in on the same trail scent checking for this doe and that was around 12:30. the deer do move in the afternoon, just have to be in the right place at the right time

Dawn to dusk is a long time, and as I said, I can do it on specific days of high hunting pressure. But man, I will tell you that I get awfully bored if too many hours go by without seeing something (even deer that I don't intend to shoot or one that doesn't offer a shot). Seeing a deer somewhere around my stand can help extend my stay, but when nothing is moving, and I am not hearing any shots anywhere, and I know that most of the hunters have charged out of the woods at 9:00 am or earlier to eat breakfast (or have already gone home), It gets impossible for me to tough it out for too many hours. I guess I am lacking in adequate mind games to stay motivated when every sign, sound and sight tells me that I am sitting there alone in the woods and the deer have already been put in a nocturnal survival mode that will not be disturbed unless I do it. There is nothing more boring than the hunter sitting here and the deer bedded there...... all day long.

Doc

For me it also depends on the spot. On state land especially though, I sit all day. Ive seen a ton of deer between 10am and 2pm when other guys are walking in and out of the woods for/from lunch. My private land spots though, I know when the deer usually come through, so I mainly sit for partial days at them. Occasionally though, Ill do an all day sit at those too, the deer change their habits a bit from time to time.

As I hunt on State Lands,I sit the entire day aglow in blaze orange in a well scouted out location and most oftentimes I see deer and have the opportunity to pick and choose. If I do not see any deer, at least I had the opportunity to savor the experience.

Note: I am scared to death of walking around on State Land during the open firearms season!

I have done several all day sits.  It's tough.  I have to be in the right frame of mind and I have to be confident in my stand location.  Generally speaking though, I usually do take a mid day break.  Many times I move to one of the other properties unless I've been seeing deer.  Some of my places are better morning spots and others, better evening spots.  So when I'm having a slow day, I'll switch properties. 

When I'm hunting with other people (like my sons) I pretty much always take a mid day break.  To me, using lunch time to talk about what we saw and planning the evening hunt, are all part of the hunting experience.

I agree. I try to keep all this stuff in perspective. It's all recreation, and if I don't get a deer, we probably won't starve to death. I don't really want to turn it into some kind of marathon of endurance ...... lol. Yeah, when I get stubborn enough or confident enough, I have been known to tough it out all day. I'll be honest though, other than opening day of gun season, it has never really paid off yet. I do a lot better by hunting the morning and evening hours and usually wind up hunting a lot more intently and paying attention a whole lot more, and not trying to amuse myself in the mid-day hours with phone gadgets and magazines. I will say one thing though ..... If I didn't live where I hunt or had to drive a long ways to get there, I would be putting in way more full day hunts. No doubt about that!

Doc

I'm in the woods Dawn to Dusk.. depending on conditions and where I am. I may still hunt during mid day. But I spend every available moment in the woods. Sittin' on the couch watching the Outdoor Channel won't put venison in the freezer!

My feeling on this is simple the deer are out there 24/7 so I spend all the time I can out there. What ever works for  someone is fine. I don't even mind the guys that come up and play cards and drink all day. If that makes them happy more power to them.