MIG and TIG Pipe Welder wanted in Rochester, NY

4 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Until you get old(er) and your body fails. That's where I am now. A little consulting work gets me by, along with writing political commentary, but I regret beating my body up so badly when I was young. We didn't have rooftop delivery or roofing nailguns when I was in the business. It was just hard work. And trying to catch hay bales when I was ten years old on the wagon at my grandparent's farm didn't help at all.

A desk job could be hazardous to ones health if you aren't careful, but I've definitely seen plenty of guys whose bodies were shot at a relatively young age from doing manual type labor.  Not easy to keep doing that type of stuff day in and day out into your 50's and 60's.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

A desk job could be hazardous to ones health if you aren't careful, but I've definitely seen plenty of guys whose bodies were shot at a relatively young age from doing manual type labor.  Not easy to keep doing that type of stuff day in and day out into your 50's and 60's.

You're right about the desk job being hazardous. The human body was not made to sit all day long. If I could sit for hours I'd probably be driving a truck for a living. As it is, I sit for an hour or so and then pace around my office/kitchen for an hour or so. I can't do either for any length of time. I'm thinking about a job delivering auto parts to mechanics: Drive the truck for a while, then get out and deliver the parts. I'm serious.

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Our local high school still offers vocation school for the juniors and seniors. My wife's youngest brother went for welding for 2 years and decided he didn't like being a welder after his first welding job.

To each his own. I spent a year climbing trees with a chainsaw strapped to my belt and decided there had to be a better job for me. For some reason I picked roofing & siding. :sorry:

2 minutes ago, philoshop said:

You're right about the desk job being hazardous. The human body was not made to sit all day long. If I could sit for hours I'd probably be driving a truck for a living. As it is, I sit for an hour or so and then pace around my office/kitchen for an hour or so. I can't do either for any length of time. I'm thinking about a job delivering auto parts to mechanics: Drive the truck for a while, then get out and deliver the parts. I'm serious.

Make some good connections too with a job like that.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Make some good connections too with a job like that.

My friend across the road from me is retired and delivers parts a couple of days a week. He builds "tuner cars" for a racing class that escapes me now. They run quite a bit at Watkins Glen, which is close by. He's trying to hook me up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

There is about 10 guys on my job site today, 2 of them don't have grey hair, in ten years the trades will be where it's at.

It's at that point now. If you are in a skilled trade, want a job and are not employed it is either becasue you have no work ethic, don't want show up to work, or can't pass a drug test. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The states register and approve standards but the apprenticeships and  schooling aren't run by the states. 

Just the standards is what I meant . I would meet with a guy to go over my books a few times a year to check my hours and classroom schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Well the desk job leeds to heart attacks and obesity if they don't exercise. 

And the craftsman jobs leed  to  back problems arthritis and lung disease  from breathing in dust .Not  sure which one is worse .I guess It all depends on what you like to do . Every  occupation has its good and bad in it. 

Edited by Hawk914

13 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

Well the desk job leeds to heart attacks and obesity if they don't exercise. 

And the craftsman jobs leed  to  back problems arthritis and lung disease  from breathing in dust .Not  sure which one is worse .I guess It all depends on what you like to do . Every  occupation has its good and bad in it. 

Good points , I'm gonna retire.

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nearly everyone I work with has stand up desks at work. You can sit or stand. I don’t need it since I’m very active outside of work hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be the new trend and I am bucking it.  I worked out enough for ten lifetimes already.  I will gladly sit at work.

• Like 2

Our pipe fitting and plumbing apprenticeships require you to be a High school graduate or have a GED. Level 1 apprentice in MD starts out at $18 and hour. raise every 1,000 hours worked (usually about 6 months). At end of 4 years that rate is $38 an hour. We pay for schooling and books. They come out with a State Journeyman's license. Work a year as a Journeyman with no safety, quality or productivity issues and if you are willing to mentor a new apprentice you can get another bump to $42 an hour. That is a 23 year old making over 87 grand, not counting overtime.  We probably lose 80% to attendance issues. They can't show up for work. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Our pipe fitting and plumbing apprenticeships require you to be a High school graduate or have a GED. Level 1 apprentice in MD starts out at $18 and hour. raise every 1,000 hours worked (usually about 6 months). At end of 4 years that rate is $38 an hour. We pay for schooling and books. They come out with a State Journeyman's license. Work a year as a Journeyman with no safety, quality or productivity issues and if you are willing to mentor a new apprentice you can get another bump to $42 an hour. That is a 23 year old making over 87 grand, not counting overtime.  We probably lose 80% to attendance issues. They can't show up for work.  

Easy 6 figures that 23yrs old with benefits - tough to beat.  Most college grads don't come near that at 23.  And as was pointed out, the demand will just continue to increase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

If you learn a Trade you'll never starve ... I heard that while growing up !

"The More Things One Can Learn The More Money They Can Earn" One of my Dad's favorite one liners.

My Dad took me out of my last two years of High School and enrolled me in the now defunct Boys Trade School that was located in Utica, it was something of a pre runner the Boces schools we have today. I studied the Machinist trade and applied subjects such as math, blueprint reading and drafting as they related to that trade along with regular high school subjects and graduated with a NY Vocational diploma and also got a NY GED diploma.

I can say with certainty that the lessons I learned there at that Trade School was the most important thing I have ever done. Served me well throughout my life and I still use the things I learned way back then even today as a retired geezer on a regular basis, especially when working on firearms.

Reading, Writing and Arithmetic along with a solid trade you will have it made if you have any ambition!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

If I made $87K twelve years ago, I would have attendance issues. Because I would have been partying like crazy with that $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

And NO college tuition loan (generally $60-80 thousand ) to be repaid !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...