Fitting end to a giant buck... I guess.

chrisw

the biggest deer i know of don't ever see the light of day. they're enjoyed but keep a secret sitting in someone's trophy room or even better a basement to collect spider webs. not a single one is poached either. midwest or out of state bucks, holy hell it's like the thing has it's own "local" facebook page.

Biggest rack I have ever seen in person that was shot in New York was killed by a kid I worked with when he lived in the Adirondacks. First year hunting doing a drive with his family perfectly typical 14pt with probably a 21-22” inside spread. Worked with him for 3 years talking about hunting every day and he never said a word about it. Went to his house one day to work on his truck had to take a leak on my way inside in a setback in his garage I saw the mount and almost fainted. He said only time he ever hunted and didn’t really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont know if I could keep something like that quiet, its hard enough for me to not show my trailcam pics to everyone lol. I learned my lesson on that though. I know a bunch of guys that have shot bucks that would make most peoples jaws drop, but the only people that know about them are people that are close to them.

I know of one particular hunter that has a pile of 150+ bucks, and a couple of legit booners that are only known of by family, close friends and the taxidermist that mounted them. All of them taken legally, mostly off of his chunk of land, which contains a funnel or two that are unreal.

It happens

There is a farm not far from a state park we all love, who’s  house  has a bunch of true jaw droppers . Never entered in anything, no pics on social media, heck a guy who married into the family wasn’t allowed to see them for a few years .

Thats why I chuckle at those lists of the “ biggest “ bucks killed in NYS each year , that a list of the biggest ones they told you about .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Biggest rack I have ever seen in person that was shot in New York was killed by a kid I worked with when he lived in the Adirondacks. First year hunting doing a drive with his family perfectly typical 14pt with probably a 21-22” inside spread. Worked with him for 3 years talking about hunting every day and he never said a word about it. Went to his house one day to work on his truck had to take a leak on my way inside in a setback in his garage I saw the mount and almost fainted. He said only time he ever hunted and didn’t really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a buck with the most mass i've ever seen was covered in dust in a basement. only the antlers and skull plate were mounted to a basic wood "plaque". it had so much mass it looked like a tight small basket rack buried back in a corner and hung up high. tine length seemed respectable but nothing that great.  i didn't think twice about it. after being down there for a couple hours working on something i finally brought it up. after it got my attention it was discovered the rack had a 19" inside spread.

• Like 1

I had the privilege of mounting the top buck in the state from last season (according to northeast bbc). The deer was killed a couple miles from home here in Steuben County. My friend had never seen the deer prior to having him step out into his foodplot that afternoon. Other than a couple of sightings by the neighbors the night before he was killed, this deer had remained elusive. No trailcam pics or sheds have surfaced that I know of. You never know what's lurking out there!

20171125_091118.jpg

20180327_102145.jpg

• Like 7

The buck from the original post is an awesome deer!!! It would be devastating to lose a buck like that I never know what happened to him. I was fortunate enough to find the head of a 170" buck while shed hunting in April of 2014. I don't hunt the property that I found him on and needless to say, there were some pretty hard feelings over me finding him by neighbors who were hunting him. I found a shed from him in 2011 and 2012 too. He was an estimated 8.5 years old when he died. I found no signs of a cause of death...

20170608_194715.jpg

IMG_20140422_133607_399.jpg

IMG_20140422_133027_958.jpg

25487187_2079347758748642_2375579917862959420_o.jpg

• Like 5

It shouldn't by now but it always amazes me how a deer can be so elusive. How much is luck? How much is intelligence? I found myself hunting the biggest deer I've ever had a picture of a few years ago. Never saw him in person, never heard of anyone taking him. Sitting in that stand though almost felt magical at times, I'd find myself "seeing" him Everytime I sat there. As much as I wanted that deer I almost didn't at the same time. An old monarch of a buck is what dreams are made of and sometimes the thought of the dream ending is bittersweet. I haven't seen that buck since...
Another buck I had on camera very regular was a 140's or so 10pt behind my parents house and as much as I was attracted to that deer, oddly enough I never even hunted him, to this day I'm not sure why... That year I was hunting the southern tier opening weekend and got a text that someone had killed him, 75yds off the road, public land, the kids first deer, he walked in on a logging road around 10AM, sat on a log, lit a cigarette and the buck walked straight up to him. I was almost sick at the thought, not that the kid killed him per se, but I guess in my head I expected a better ending for that old buck, even vanishing into some old swamp and dying would have seemed better fitting to me... Maybe at times I have too much respect for these critters, but I don't think so.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The bow only public land buck I lost sleep over, the strangest part of the story in my mind, I got married on October 21st, 2016. It just so happens my wife and I both agreed to get married at this same public park, the only picture I got of this buck during light enough to kill him was on my wedding night. It was a rainy, dark day and we were getting married 1/2 mile from my tree stand when he decided to show the one and only time during enough light to shoot. When I hiked in and checked that camera a week later I was at a loss for words, I just sat there for awhile. Smiling and sick at the same time. Well played deer, well played... Here's a couple good pics of that buck. IMG_20160927_185619.jpegIMG_20160927_165709.jpeg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

12 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Thanks for posting, and Lawdwaz, that boy  was knocking on the door of 200. Racks are larger in person. Are you sure he's dead?

Positive, no. 

He never showed up on camera last year and a friend who has his finger on the pulse of local big deer heard that a true giant was killed that fall.  Could be still alive and would be 5.5 years old (if I have my age correct) this fall.

I have his sheds from the year previous to this video and he isn't even close to the same buck.........BUT, I'm sure these sheds are his. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont know if I could keep something like that quiet, its hard enough for me to not show my trailcam pics to everyone lol. I learned my lesson on that though. I know a bunch of guys that have shot bucks that would make most peoples jaws drop, but the only people that know about them are people that are close to them.

I know of one particular hunter that has a pile of 150+ bucks, and a couple of legit booners that are only known of by family, close friends and the taxidermist that mounted them. All of them taken legally, mostly off of his chunk of land, which contains a funnel or two that are unreal.

It happens

Its not easy keeping good things a secret. Only close friends and family see our pics as well. Just cant trust everyone, especially when you dont live where you hunt or even remotely close by... Greed, Jealousy, carelessness, you name it.. it all comes out for some people over a deer, during deer season.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Positive, no. 

He never showed up on camera last year and a friend who has his finger on the pulse of local big deer heard that a true giant was killed that fall.  Could be still alive and would be 5.5 years old (if I have my age correct) this fall.

I have his sheds from the year previous to this video and he isn't even close to the same buck.........BUT, I'm sure these sheds are his. 

He should be like a Christmas tree this year if he's alive. Hope he shows up for ya. Good luck!

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

We had a buck kicking around one of our farms last year that I heard was taken from the property next door. One of the guys that hunts with us once in a while said he saw a big buck being loaded into a truck in front of the adjoining property while he was driving by. I started checking cams closely after that, and sure enough, he was no longer showing up anywhere. I havent seen pics of him dead or anything like that, not even a mention of it around the area. Im pretty sure the guy that took him is keeping it hush hush. I was pretty bummed on this one, as I had been chasing this guy for a couple of seasons, and had his core area pegged pretty well. The area that he was taken out of was right where I knew he would be, the other hunter beat me to him.

I happened to be in the wrong stand opening morning of bow. Heres are pics of him directly under one of my stands that morning. Would have been a perfect 10 yard quartering away shot.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We had a buck kicking around one of our farms last year that I heard was taken from the property next door. One of the guys that hunts with us once in a while said he saw a big buck being loaded into a truck in front of the adjoining property while he was driving by. I started checking cams closely after that, and sure enough, he was no longer showing up anywhere. I havent seen pics of him dead or anything like that, not even a mention of it around the area. Im pretty sure the guy that took him is keeping it hush hush. I was pretty bummed on this one, as I had been chasing this guy for a couple of seasons, and had his core area pegged pretty well. The area that he was taken out of was right where I knew he would be, the other hunter beat me to him.

I happened to be in the wrong stand opening morning of bow. Heres are pics of him directly under one of my stands that morning. Would have been a perfect 10 yard quartering away shot.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

I hate being in the wrong stand at the wrong time. But love being in the right stand at the right time. Lucky enough for me, I fell victim to both last fall. Missed with archery tackle, my #1 buck where I thought my best chance at him would be. And chose wrong stand on 2nd day of gun for my #2 buck, when he bred a doe 10 yards from the base of a stand I had set for him. Oh well, #2 is alive and well, and i think #1 is also, havent heard of him being killed or found. and he was alive just before ML last fall.   

• Like 2