How many of you "Register" your ATV?

i used to race dirtbikes and wheelers, and bikes are the exception dont come with titles nor do they have to be registered come time to sell it. wheelers are just like snowmobiles.

the only reason we ever registered a wheeler was to ride on the truck trails on tug hill. other than that weve never bothered. just made sure when we bought it from someone we never signed the backs of the title or regi to transfer it in our name, so come time to sell it was if the buyer was doing business with the last person to have registered it.

It's a small price to pay for peace of mind to have ATV insurance . It covers the ATV plus property damage in case something happens .

I register and have insurance through Progressive. Covers theft and damage to the machine. Very inexpensive for piece of mind like Eddie said.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to jump in late and resurrect this topic. I just noticed it and wanted to point out some inaccuracies.

In NYS, you are required to register an ATV. There are a few exceptions (farm use, etc.) but a DMV form still has to be filled out to qualify for the exemption. (Which effectively means you are registering to not register).

Minimum liability insurance is required ONLY if you operate the ATV outside your own property. No insurance needed if you operate exclusively on your own property. Public land, your sister's land, your son's land, your neighbor's land... insurance is required.

ATV insurance if pretty inexpensive. The best part is that you can be covered for theft as well as liability. With the cost of a decent ATV, the theft insurance is great to have.

While some people choose not to register, an insurance company will not issue a policy to an unregistered ATV.

You may not operate on a public road (unless specifically allowed by the state/local authority). You can cross a road (90 degree angle, etc.). The "side" of the road is actually considered the road (shoulder). The "side" of the road owned by the entity which owns the road is a no no. However, you are certainly able to ride on private land which is on the side of the road (assuming you own it and/or have permission).

The DMV has a good web page with all this information:

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c29.htm

I was recently talking to a neighbor in Delaware county. He rode his (unregistered) ATV onto his next-door neighbor's property to help move some items. The DEP was passing by and gave him a real hard time. (Unregistered, no insurance while off his own property, no helmet). He ended up with some tickets. The DEP guy even threatened to confiscate the ATV although I am not sure if he had the legal authority to do that.

It's only $12.50/yr to register. Since I would not do without insurance, even on my own property, non-registration is not an option for me. Even without that consideration, the $12.50 is still much less expensive than the ticket.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 1

My primary need for insurance is that little stipulation in my homeowners policy that excludes recreational type vehicles from coverage if the barn burns down. Very few homeowner's policies do cover such vehicles regardless of where you store it. And since there was the thought that it might legally be required whenever I was off my property, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. And as it turns out, it really didn't cost a whole lot.

But double check your homeowner's policy and make sure that your ATV's are covered. A lot of people make the assumption that they are and then find out that they are not ....... too late.

Doc

My agent said that if the ATV is solely for the maintenance of the insured property it's covered by homeowners.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

My agent said that if the ATV is solely for the maintenance of the insured property it's covered by homeowners.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Yup.. mine  told me the same thing. If you use it to snow plow, haul brush...anything like that you are covered under homeowners Ins. But if its off your property you're on your own.

I have no more room on the right side of the plate for next 2015 sticker Have it registerd since I bought it.

We have people young and old and some carring children sitting in front of them rideing up and down the road all year long some time as many as 8 at a time.

I wonder how many are insured.

I registered mine after a fine. 50 yards Behind my parents house there is a pond that I ice fish. I was riding my legal snowmobile down there and hit my jon boat frozen down to the dirt and dislocated my shoulder. a few days later I had to get my fish on and I couldn't ride my sled so I took my illegal four wheeler was electric start and easier to steer. I DEC officer saw me fishing and decided to pay me a visit. he started to enter the pond on a thin ice area over deep water and I yelled and told him to enter on a different spot... basically saved his life. he came out and gave me a ticket for unregistered ATV, 50 yards from my parents house. I even had to go flag him down at the end of their driveway to give him my info to give me a ticket since I left my license in my car. I save his life and he repays me with a ticket. next time he is taking a dip.

• 2 weeks later...

Comes down to if you happen to go off your property and get stopped,no registration thats an unregistered vehicle summons,no insurance thats another one.

so for about a hundred bucks depending who you use for insurance and a registration plate I think it's worth it

I have had mine registered...currently expired, 3 total ATV's. I'm on private property and no one ever bothers me. I have driven them on the rd (shoulder if available) and have never had anyone stop me. Even had a rifle in the gun boot. Just got waives.

My father has a special permit, because of his health, that he can drive the Atv on state land. Stipulation of the permit is he is allowed to bring someone with him on an additional atv. in case help is required. Can't get that without registering it

I want a polaris ranger rzr but you can't register them. Restriction for atvs are 1000 lbs. Trail wide versions of the rzr is 1049# there is a bill right now to raise it to 1500. Just too many dec up at my cabin. The roads are min maintenance dirt roads but are state roads so illegal to ride on. Ticket heaven for the DEC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Couple questions folks-Are they gonna give you tickets for not haveing reg and ins cards on you(your quad) because there really isnt a spot to put without ruining them?Also can they give you a ticket for your 14 year old riding quad on or off your own land.My 14 year old son wears a helmet and really does know how to ride

Couple questions folks-Are they gonna give you tickets for not haveing reg and ins cards on you(your quad) because there really isnt a spot to put without ruining them?Also can they give you a ticket for your 14 year old riding quad on or off your own land.My 14 year old son wears a helmet and really does know how to ride

Is the cop going to let you slide on a speeding ticket because you "like to drive fast?"

If a cop is going to ticket you for no reg on your ATV, the "aesthetic" argument is probably not the best one to use. WIth some zip-ties, there are plenty of places to hang the tag on any ATV and not ruin it. It is only $12.50/year to register. I bet the ticket is a lot more than that.

For me, the best reason to register is to be able to get insurance. Insurance is very inexpensive (especially on the smaller engine ATVs). It not only provides liability insurance but also theft insurance. If your ATV is stolen and you have no insurance, you are out of luck. If it is also not registered, you will probably get a ticket when you report the theft!

From the DMV website:

WHO MAY OPERATE AN ATV[/size]

You do not need a driver license to operate an ATV in New York State, but certain restrictions apply to operators under age 16.

If you are age 10 through age 15, you may operate an ATV only:

• Under adult supervision; or,
  • Without adult supervision on lands owned or leased by your parent or guardian; or,
  • On any lands where ATV use is permitted, without adult supervision, if you have completed an ATV safety training course approved by the DMV. You should carry your course completion certificate when operating any ATV.
If you are under age 10, you may operate an ATV only:
  • Under adult supervision; or,
  • Without adult supervision on lands owned or leased by your parent or guardian.
Adult Supervision means being accompanied by a person at least 18 years of age, or a person 16 or 17 years of age who holds an ATV safety course completion certificate from an approved safety course provider.

According to this, the 14 year old can ride all he wants on your own land. He can also ride off your land if you or another adult are "supervising." More riding options open up when you have the safety course (which is offered free)

Edited by jrm

i misunderstood about the reg.

I am not sure what the rule is on that, or if there is a rule. Having the plate attached with the current year sticker seems required. It would also seem to be proof of registration. Since the insurance requirement applies to riding off your own property (meaning it is not necessarily required for all people) I would think it a good idea to carry proof of insurance when riding off your land. 

If you decide to carry your registration, I would highly suggest carrying a photocopy and NOT the original. IF the card is required, a copy is legal (it is on regular cars, so I am guessing the same for ATVs). The biggest reason is that the ATV reg is transferable. That is like carrying around the original title for your car.

What kind of quad do you have? I have old machines and there is a storage compartment in the back above the tail light. Barely noticeable. Or you could keep under the seat. In a ziplock bag. If you do get some DEC or Cop looking to write a ticket I doubt he's gonna want to hear there is no where to put it. Lol.

Check the book on your quad. Most have hidden compartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeah Checking into Insurance right now.Some of ya's with the 75 dollars a year-i dont think so I have two brand new hondas State Farm who is my auto wants 245 ayear with 500 dollar deductible Gonna see what progressive wants

Edited by edbone

Yeah Checking into Insurance right now.Some of ya's with the 75 dollars a year-i dont think so I have two brand new hondas State Farm who is my auto wants 245 ayear with 500 dollar deductible Gonna see what progressive wants

Progressive seems to have the best rates. GEICO may also have some good rates. Engine size is what will determine cost. I have a 2011 Polaris 500 that I have been paying about $75/year for full coverage, incl. theft.

I just picked up a 2013 Can Am 800 and the same coverage is a little over 200. It took me by surprise, but the agent explained it is all due to the much larger engine.

Question on the "own property" part. Anyone know if that includes property you lease?

I am no lawyer or DMV expert. However, the answer is usually "yes." Property you rent or lease is typically considered "your" property for purposes such as this. You are legally in "possession" of the premises during the term of the lease.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 quads that I bought from Rusty Palmers in PA. in 1996 and never had them registered in NY. Rusty Palmers delivered them to my property in Delaware county.  I also bought a 2003 quad from a woman in Conn and have a bill of sale from her but no registration she never registered the quad.

How do I go about legally regestering my quads. I have the bill of sale from Rusty Palmers, and just a hand written bill of sale from the woman in Conn.

Do I have to pay sales tax on the bikes, before I can register them?

I have 2 quads that I bought from Rusty Palmers in PA. in 1996 and never had them registered in NY. Rusty Palmers delivered them to my property in Delaware county. I also bought a 2003 quad from a woman in Conn and have a bill of sale from her but no registration she never registered the quad.

How do I go about legally regestering my quads. I have the bill of sale from Rusty Palmers, and just a hand written bill of sale from the woman in Conn.

Do I have to pay sales tax on the bikes, before I can register them?

All the info should be on the DEC site along with the forms you need to fill out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4