Field to Fork Program for New Adult hunters.

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Not sure you are aware, but DEC is running a "Women who hunt & fish photo contest"

Maybe some good press in there for you to support next year efforts as you have some nice pics.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/115271.html

That would be great to get those photo's in there!  Congrats again great job! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 1:20 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well our last Field to Fork participant That hadn’t gotten a deer wanted to give it another try this weekend so Amy picked up her muzzleloader tag. She also has her antlerless tags and her regular season tag. We saw 11 deer this morning and she passed on a very easy shot on a lone fawn. About a half hour later 6 came around the corner and she showed great poise waiting for the right shot as well as waiting for the big doe to clear he other deer. Beautiful 65 yard shot with the encore muzzleloader. Very proud of you Amy and glad to have been a part of your journey. I know that muzzleloader is a handful but you did very well with it. Hope you don’t bruise. Lol.

We are still on stand finishing the day so see if we can double her up. e1e19ed31baf2d4081ab12f4c8a61d99.jpga66b95697784e24e72f9da0c09c3839b.jpg0e55b7dcb9c11dba45aefbc91d84b016.jpg

This is the recount of Amy’s experience with the Field To Fork Program and taking her first deer. I was very proud of her and honored to be there when she took her first deer and almost her second. Any comments I have about her story are in parenthesis.  

I am a city girl through and through.  Country living is new to me. You know you’re a true city girl when you see a pile of deer poop and think coffee beans are growing out of the ground. My idea of wearing camo was to be fashionable and not to blend in with the woods!

My husband and I recently moved to Rochester, NY from NYC.  Culture shock to say the least!  We have a 20 month old son and this enabled me to meet some new friends at the local library.  This is where I met Katie.  We became friends and she mentioned to me about this program she signed up to at the local farmers market.  The Field to Fork Program by QDMA which brought me through a journey to me taking my first harvest.  I felt I had to do this.

My husband is a hunter.  He has hunted since a little boy and I never understood why he would wake up every morning before the sun came up and walked around the woods to shoot a deer.  The program opened my eyes to the whole experience and now I GET it!

Our journey started with class room education where we discussed everything from gun safety to scent control and everything in-between.  I have always been an adventurous person and not afraid to try new things, but I never thought I would be a Huntress! The classes, discussions and range time gave me the confidence I needed to get out in the woods.

Opening day of Gun season my husband took me out to our property in Steuben county.  Snow was deep and walking out in the woods in the dark which was an experience of its own.  We climbed up into a double stand and I was so excited and nervous. When the sun finally came up the birds started chirping, and the sun rays coming over the hill and lighting up the field was majestic.  We sat for a few hours but unfortunately didn’t see any deer.  I was a little discouraged.  My husband explained if it was easy everyone would do it.  It was comforting speaking to his friends and family who explained they have gone years without shooting a deer before.  I started to think this wasn’t going happen, we went out 3 more times and I didn’t see any deer!  The other members of the Field To Fork program were reporting their harvests over our group chat and I was disappointed that I had nothing to report.

Bob Rose my mentor and President of the Greater Rochester South Tier QDMA chapter offered to take me out the last week of rifle season.  I got excited again! We went out in the afternoon and sat in a redneck blind. Much more comfortable then my husband’s stand! After an hour or so I saw some movement in the brush about 75 yards away however I didn’t have a clear shot so unfortunately, I had to pass.  (this was a very bog doe and a fawn. The fawn came into the clear and Amy decided to wait to see if the doe presented a shot. She did not and turned and walked back up the brushy hill with the fawn following. A very tough call but one Amy was prepared to live with because it didn’t fit with what she wanted in her first deer). The day was coming to an end and I saw the sun starting to set and was thinking “no don’t set yet”! I knew my opportunity to get a deer had come to an end and had to wait for next season.  Bob could see I was really upset.  He offered to take me out one last time during muzzle loader season.  At first, I didn’t even know what a muzzle loader was and if I could handle it.  However, I was determined to take my first harvest.

We started early in the morning and got into the blind just after before first light. (The blind we were going to needed to be accessed thought the main feeding field and I wanted to give the deer a bit of time to exit the filed on their own without us forcing them out. On our way into the stand a bedded do jumped up at about 30 yards and didn’t present us a shot. When we were almost to the blind, 3 deer were feeding in a food plot and busted us as we rounded the corner and were gone with no shot opportunity. I felt good that we were in an area that would result in a shot opportunity for Amy). Seeing the sun come up and hearing the woods wake up is worth the early start.  A little after 8am, I saw some movement my heart started racing and I could feel the adrenaline building.  We watched the deer come closer and we identified the deer and it was a small button buck maybe.  I decided to pass as I wanted to be a responsible hunter and take a more mature deer. I just kept watching it like my opportunity again had slipped me by. (This button buck fed from about 100 yards to within 30 yards of the blind. I could see the battle of decisions in Amy’s head. I was proud of her and she stuck to her decision and we watched that button buck feed out of sight) I believe me passing on the small buck was a blessing in disguise because few moments later, a doe popped her head out and was walking towards us but then 2 fawns were following her and then another doe and 3 more fawns came trotting out. Bob finally said this is it, this is your shot. My head stared spinning- I didn’t know what to think! My adrenaline was pumping through my whole body and I could hear Bobs voice in the background of my beating heart! He told me to keep calm, aim and slowly pull the trigger when you’re ready. (When I told her that when she was steady she could take the shot, she really had her head in the right place, because she told me she had to wait for the doe to clear the fawns that were standing behind her). I don’t know what happen next but I had my aim and next thing you know there’s smoke in my face and all the deer ran!  Clearly, I wasn’t holding the gun tight enough because the recoil punched me in my face (she got “scoped”) and slightly chipped my tooth. Yes, they say no pain no gain! Bob told me that I got it, but I just didn’t believe him. When I looked out the window, all the deer were gone. We waited about 1/2 hour and then we were off to track the deer. We followed the blood trail for little while and that’s when I finally saw it in the distance. Reality finally settled in ... I DID it! I got my first deer.  It feels so amazing to help feed my family such clean and healthy meat. (Amy did a great job field dressing the doe with very minimal assistance from me. I am certain she will be able to do the next one all on her own).

(At 1 pm I went and got the wheeler and we loaded up the doe and drove it out to my truck. I asked Amy if she wanted to keep hunting since she still had another antlerless permit, her regular season tag and her muzzleloader either sex tag. She didn’t hesitate to answer “yes”, and we were off to another blind location. I have to say that the intensity of the afternoon sit wasn’t what the morning was. We had her first deer and engaged in a lot more conversation and reliving the moment. At about 2:30 some of the thickest fog I have ever seen rolled in and cut our visibility to about 50 yards. At 4 pm I noticed 4 deer silhouettes in the food plot and one was reallllly big. Amy tried to get it in the scope but just didn’t feel that she would be certain about her shot, so she chose not to take it. Two more deer fed in and one actually walked up and mounted the big deer. It was exciting to watch even though we couldn’t shoot, I have to say that I am as proud of Amy for the shots she didn’t take as the one she did. The hunt was on the last Sunday of the season and that Tuesday the Filed to Fork class met and processed the deer and split up all the venison that the class had taken over the season.)

This whole experience has been life changing and I couldn’t thank Bob my mentor enough for believing in me and QDMA for giving me the opportunity! I am so excited to continue this hunting journey and next year I’m getting my buck!!!

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 6

Just now, Cabin Fever said:

Congrats Amy!! You're the man Bob! I had a smile on my face the entire time reading this!

I did too except the point she said she chipped her tooth. She said it was really small but I think she had her mouth open a bit at the shot and the forearm got away from her a bit. (150 gr of 777 and 250 gr shockwave..lol) she wasn't scared to shoulder it again in the afternoon though. 

This weekend I got the last participants write up of her experience. I also sent their pics and story in to the DEC for the Women in Hunting contest. Fingers crossed. 

This is Kati's write up.  My comments in parenthesis.  

It was my second time doing a full day sit with Bob and my fourth time going out altogether. (Kati went with me on a previous all-day hunt. I took her on a property that is managed for older bucks. They have to be outside the ears (they want 3-1//2 to 4-1/2 to be the bar). BUT the property is loaded with does and that was actually our target. Kati had 2 DMP in her pocket for the area and we were in the blind early.  The blind is a nice big Redneck and is at the property line overlooking a couple small plots. It is out of the wind but was very very cold this day. At 720 she noticed 4 does behind us in the thicket and they came to 15 yards of the blind. SO here we sit. in the blind, deer totally unaware and they walk right into an open 4 wheeler trail. The only thing between us and them is the posted sign on the property line. We hoped they would feed into the plots but it wasn't meant to be. Around noon we took a quick warm up walk around the area and it was loaded with tracks. One of the largest hoof prints I have ever seen actually crossed our entry trail 4 times working the side hill back and forth. Just not low enough for us to see it. We got back in the stand and at 330 I noticed a deer crossing a wheeler path and headed towards the plot. Kati got settled in and got the rifle up. It walked into the plot at 80 yards and I had my bino's on it. She said she was on target and I could see her barrel was rock steady. Then the deer turned it's head and looked at us and it was a spike with a small eye guard. I could hear her sigh. Very disheartening but both encounters were good lessons. Gotta play by the rules)

Up until this last hunt I had either been sitting in a  metal tree stand or a hut with barely any walls. I had been walking through rivers, up hills, and getting stuck in the mud. So, when Bob told me I was going to get to sit in a heated blind I was pumped. We got to the blind right before sunrise at about 7am and settled in for the long haul. "We are not leaving this stand without a deer,” Bob told me. Though I appreciated his confidence, I had my doubts. I had been out three times before and none were successful hunts. I'd heard the words "Well, that's the end of legal shooting time, sorry Kiddo," enough times now to anticipate them before they were said, the sting of them waiting behind my eyes. I had a clear goal in mind, and I was determined to accomplish it.  Even though each hunt taught me valuable lessons and new skills and brought enjoyment despite my lack of success, the reality of being able to accomplish my goal started to seem impossible.

A few hours in, we saw a doe and her fawn making their way down from a hill top in the distance. My heart began to race- could this be it? They got about 200 yards from us, but quickly turned around and dashed up the hill. I felt my stomach drop and my throat became tight as I thought to myself, "Great. There goes my shot."  We sat for the rest of the day waiting and waiting. We didn't see a thing. (At About 3 pm I could hear Kati sighing a bit. I could tell she knew the clock was winding down). Just when I started to give up hope, there they were. (4:15pm) Two beautiful does and a fawn. They started to graze on some food plots and slowly, they worked their way towards us. Bob told me that he would make a sound and that when he did, I'd have 2.5 seconds to take my shot. He pointed out a small opening where the does would cross.  The first deer into the opening was the fawn. Bob told me the next one would be the doe to shoot. She stepped into the opening and he made a bleat sound.  I was position as Bob asked if I had her in my sights. Before I could finish uttering my response, I heard the signal and Bob's voice urging, "Shoot! SHOOT!" Everything became a blur and I pulled the trigger. It was a ninety-yard shot through the trees, and she went about twenty-five more yards before collapsing. Tears of joy and relief flooded my eyes. I did it. On the last day of the regular season, with under thirty minutes of legal shooting time left, I got my first deer. I shot up out of my chair like a rocket and spun in a circle, a few choice words escaping my lips. My mind went blank, I could feel my heart in my chest, and I felt as if I was going to faint. It was the most intense set of feelings I have ever had. After I came back down to earth, we packed up our gear and tracked down my doe. With guidance from Bob I was able to complete the field dressing process on my own. It certainly wasn't pretty, but I did it. After I finished, I let out a sigh as relief, pride, and thankfulness filled my heart.

I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to experience something this life changing. It has been my honor and pleasure to hunt next to such experienced and all-around great people as Bob and Mo. They have both taught me so much that I will take with me into the next hunting season and beyond.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If any of you folks are members and get Quality Whitetail magazine, they had a write up about our program. (if you aren't a member you should consider it)

Quality Whitetail writeup.JPG

That's awesome and well deserved press Bob.  Good call on the black shirt for the photo too.  Very slimming.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If any of you folks are members and get Quality Whitetail magazine, they had a write up about our program. (if you aren't a member you should consider it)

Quality Whitetail writeup.JPG

That's awesome.  Culver and Ryan got their picture in the magazine and I now feel like a published photographer!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night wrapped up our first annual Field to Fork program. We had a social dinner with the participants and their spouses/guests, the mentors as instructors. Everyone brought a venison dish to pass made from their harvest. The food was outstanding and was accompanied by some drinks and many many laughs. Each participant was asked to recount their hunting story to the group and I have to say that sure was the highlight of the night for me. We were very lucky this year to have 5 participants that were so wonderful. Top that off with being able to have all 5 experience successful hunts and this program will be an annual program for the branch for sure. I want to say a thank you to the mentors and instructors that really made this work, Mike Edwards, Moira Michie Tidball,Terry Ackerson, Brian Dermody, Tom Day, John Stansfield. Without them being willing to take, not only time out of their days but their own season, this wouldn’t be possible. A special thank you to our branch Secretary/Treasurer Kim Cilano O'Connor for her help in organizing, all her efforts on the social dinner and actually taking her hunter safety course. (We are gonna keep pushing to get you in a hunting blind Kim, lol). I am asking all the mentors and participants to share their venison recipes for the dishes they brought. We will be putting them together and adding to it each year as the program continues. That way each class will be contributing to the next classes when we hand out our annual Field to Fork cookbook. I’m already looking forward to 2019!a456cf0dd720bd038d9c7ee614b4fc58.jpgd14bb661c3b0e02468b53b9638ed95d0.jpg022da0dfbca8fa4c79fc24c0f067b65b.jpgd6f5f3f6c4cb38311ea7e72a39f07b25.jpga219abda12d4b63559bc99a41dc27474.jpgb9938a75dbc1516fce9fa7f62b2296ec.jpgaa88f9b164d9905815cc8c071fd2b395.jpgec4869f3a41c75cc241d6e6815920806.jpg

• Like 4

One final note on the Field to Fork Program. It appears it is getting some pretty good national coverage. Not only the National's event but the other States including us. I don't think I can legally post the article but an article appeared in the January 9th Wall Street Journal under the title. "Put Down the Kombucha and Pick Up a Crossbow: Hipsters Are the New Hunters" 

I'll start a new thread for the 2019 program when we get it going. Thank you all for following along. Most of the participants have been on here lurking and they appreciate the positive feedback. 

• Like 1

OMG you made cupcakes out of venison?! you guys are awesome!

seriously though you've got it figured out it seems for just being the first go around. next year should be easier program wise, despite the hunting will always be just that. we tried getting into another farmers market in a different county. problem is we were too well received, everybody that walked up to the table there had camo on! lol  you all definitely made it seem easy, not to sound ignorant. wish you the same success this year.

• Like 1