Butchering your own deer?

burmjohn

At $100 a pop I decided to butcher my own deer about 10 or so years ago. I learned from books and videos as well It gets much easier after the first one just give it a shot what is the worst that could happen? You could use a clean sawzall or purchase a meat saw and a good boning knife helps about 6 inches but you could use any knife as long it is sharp. It is allot simpler to dissect the deer if it is cold (not frozen just cold ) it makes it allot easier to find the muscle lines so I let it hang for a day or two if weather permits if not I quarter it and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two if there is no room I pop it in the chest freezer for a few hours. Remember to take out the two tenderloins from inside the deer cavity as soon as you hang the deer they are best eaten fresh and dried blood could taint them. I also use a propane torch to burn all the stray hairs off the meat.

post-970-131455314624_thumb.jpg

post-970-131455314635_thumb.jpg

post-970-131455314651_thumb.jpg

post-970-131455314894_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairgame: I agree with you 100%, conversations around the butcher table are priceless. For me its all about spending quality time with the people you love.

Amen

I would NEVER let anyone butcher my deer .... it is not difficult, and like you all said ... plenty of resources out there to help you .... and some fellow hunters it seems!  :P

• 4 weeks later...

I do my own, used to own a deer processing business before it got to be too much to handle.

Only tips I offer are try to rinse or burn off as much hair as possible before you start cutting. Cut the meat boneless, it freezes & tastes a lot better that way. And trim off ALL fat & gristle...less yield, but the meat will last longer & taste 100% better.

The biggest problem I have butchering deer is being able to grab hold and cut off the "silver skin" . I have arthritis in my fingers and one of my fingers locks up quite often . Other than that , no problem .

Thats stuff is an issue for all of us.. what about a pair of foreceps or clamps like a Doctor would use, could your hands deal with those or would they still lock up?

Sometimes I leave it on and get it off when I thaw it to cook it, makes it a little easier.

The biggest problem I have butchering deer is being able to grab hold and cut off the "silver skin" . I have arthritis in my fingers and one of my fingers locks up quite often . Other than that , no problem .

Thats stuff is an issue for all of us.. what about a pair of foreceps or clamps like a Doctor would use, could your hands deal with those or would they still lock up?

Sometimes I leave it on and get it off when I thaw it to cook it, makes it a little easier.

That's what I do also.  I don't think anyone could ever get every bit of it off before the meat is frozen anyway.  It seems that on the hams especially, there is layer upon layer of the stuff.  Sometimes you think you got it all off and then it seems that it somehow has magically reappeared while you were cutting it off on another part of the ham.  I guess it's our penance for having murdered the deer in the first place!  :)

My father used to bring his deer to a butcher when he didn't have a place to cut it up.  It amazed me when he got back into butchering it himself how much bigger the back straps where when we cut them up.  I bet those butchers never have to buy meet during the year.  I know people who have cows and get them butchered and the tenderlions are always tiny.  Don't understand how people can rip people off and sleep at night.

I've been processing deer for over 23 years and take great pride in my job and take offense to saying all processers dont care about doing a good job or do it just to make a buck.  I've cut every deer as if it were my own and take the time to make sure the meat is good when it arrives (which at times it isnt because of poor field dressing or improper storage.)  I dont take in more then I can handle and def turn people away so their deer isnt sitting on the floor going bad while it waits to be processed.  Unlike many I've seen that stack deer like firewood.  Been doing my own deer as well as friends and those they have referred to me.  Processing is involved and takes good skill.  It isnt just skinning and cutting like some believe or do.  Also had my share of deer that arrived looking like swiss cheese and you will not get much meat when it is shot in the hind quarters and back strap area or multiple times.  If anyone lives in the CNY area and is interested in learning how to process I'd be very happy to show them.  Dont let a bad experience with a processer ruin it for those that take pride in what they do and deliver a quality product.  I work a full time professional job and run on a smaller scale business so it is quality not quantity.  I do it cause I enjoy it not just to earn an extra income.     

I got 33# from this doe . The box it was in is included in the weight . The doe was much bigger than a buck I had shot during bow season . I got 53# of venison off him without the box . All processors aren't honest . I used to take my deer to a processor on Tuckahoe Rd in Williamson and always got a fair deal . He discontinued processing due to health problems .

For those looking to plunge in to doing it yourself, the videos here by Larry Metz are very good. Especially the "Boning out the Carcass"; which starts with a basic skinned and gutted deer.

He used to give live demonstrations on carcasses at the Harrisburg show start to finish a few times a day. His technique de-bones the meat as each quarter is removed. Good shots and easy to follow along as you go if you want.

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/deer--venison-books-dvds.html

Some of his equiptment is also sold at Gander,Basspro, Cabelas, etc. All are decent lighter than commercial quality; good for the couple deer every year type guy(or gal).

Eddie, did you say something when you only got 33#? Thats crazy.

The guy at the shop put the box in my truck . I thought it felt light when I got home . I didn't say anything to the guy and never went back . I told the guy that mentioned the place and had worked part time for the butcher about the ripoff and he said he had gotten a bad deal also . So I asked the dumb ass why he sent me there and all I got was a blank stare .

The guy puts up a sign and butchers deer in his garage during the season .

Eddie, did you say something when you only got 33#? Thats crazy.

The guy at the shop put the box in my truck . I thought it felt light when I got home . I didn't say anything to the guy and never went back . I told the guy that mentioned the place and had worked part time for the butcher about the ripoff and he said he had gotten a bad deal also . So I asked the dumb ass why he sent me there and all I got was a blank stare .

The guy puts up a sign and butchers deer in his garage during the season .

Ah, that sucks.. I guess live and learn! I'm glad I found a butcher locally, and I mean locally, 1 mile away that people praise.  Once we have the cabin up and running next year I'll have my butchering station setup and will be calling on people to teach and help me :)

John

If you know anyone in residential construction see if you can get sink cut outs from solid surface countertops...the make GREAT cutting boards. Then you will be ready for next year. I don't like wood boards...they are too tough to make sure they are clean and glass ones are too tough on the knives. the solid surface clean nicley with bleech and you don't have to woory about them soaking it up like wood.

I've never taken a deer to a processor and as long as i'm able to do the work myself I don't ever plan on it.  At the age of 12-14 my dad went from teacher/mentorer to supervisor I think he's cut up a grand total of 2 deer since that time and that was ten years ago... o ya he shot way more than just 2 deer in those 10 years lol.  I'm excited that this year I have a new group of trainee's.  A bunch of my buddies will be joining me in the woods for the first time this season so once one of them gets a deer I'm holding a butchering Clinic lol.  I'm also holding a gutting clinic (hopefully in early bow when i get a deer, since none of them bowhunt...yet)

CNY

I hear ya CNY---- I am 45 and my father shot a deer when I was 8....He said "I am gonna show you this once" and he was serious. I tease him the knife he has on his belt is a prop for looks.....He hasn't used it since...lol

Haha thats a good one I would use it except my dad thinks its bad luck to bring a knife in the woods with him, he leaves it in the truck.  "I gotta go get the truck anyways might as well get the truck first and see how close I can get before I gut it and then drag it farther than I need to."  He kinda has a point... don't tell him I said that though...lol. 

My father in law gutted the first two deer that I killed and never explained anything to me . I learned through trial and error and from what I could find in books . When my son shot his 1st deer , he started to field dress it and asked me to do it . I told him that I was going to take my time and explained to him stem by step how I did it and when I shot my next one I had him do it and we went through it step by step .

I have butchered my own deer by trial and error and do a fair job but there is much room for improvement .