Unpasteurized Cider

Reb

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Might Mayer brothers carry it in West Seneca ?

Making  some adult apple pie beverage  with Everclear per chance ?  That reminds me tis the season

Lol,I'm going to ferment the cider.  In Fl you could only get pasteurized cider so I always added cider yeast and did it that way but figure up here I can get the real unpasteurized stuff.  I do make apple pie every year but I always use real corn liquor moonshine,no store bought stuff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Pretty sure all cider at Tops,Wegmans,or Mayer bros. are all pasteurized ,I think if you head north up towards Lockport,there are small pressers who dont pasteurize their cider, which has to be kept refrigerated or it will sour.

I don't know of any in our county. I thought it all had to be pasteurized to sell it. Unless it slips through the channels.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

14 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I don't know of any in our county. I thought it all had to be pasteurized to sell it. Unless it slips through the channels.

Not sure about health laws, my grandfather would take his apples to mayer bros. years ago get them squeezed ,bring home 2 barrels, put it in glass gal jugs and sell at road stand,I am sure at that time it wasn't pasteurized.

Murphy's cider mill in Verona was there for 40 years and closed a couple of years ago. Every year for a while before he closed he said the health Dept would give him a hard time.  And to pasteurize would require more equipment and it wouldnt be the same and he never had any issues.  I would guess he finally closed for this reason.  Was the best cider ever.

Every place has to pasteurize it or use an alternative approved treatment now. They changed that law about ten years ago,which i think is silly. Not much grows in that tart stuff. We used to press our own from wild apples collected from the ground,and i am still alive by most accounts. We have not had good apple years,otherwise i would be pressing right about now...

On 9/29/2018 at 9:13 PM, Reb said:

Lol,I'm going to ferment the cider.  In Fl you could only get pasteurized cider so I always added cider yeast and did it that way but figure up here I can get the real unpasteurized stuff.  I do make apple pie every year but I always use real corn liquor moonshine,no store bought stuff.

Honestly you would probably be adding campden tablets to kill off the natural yeast anyway? Nothing worse than a wild yeast that decides it wants to piss out alcohol with a funny taste to it.