What if I dont hang the deer...

Al Bundy

My shoulders are hosed up enough where hanging a deer is a problem. Im going out for xbow and hoping to drop something. I have always hung deer for a few days at least. I don't think I can hang one this year and wonder if I leave it flat on the ground or possibly flat in the basement what that may do to the meat. I think yotes may get if I leave flat on the ground so thinking basement for 3-4 days, depending on the temps. Comments??

The last time I doubled up in a day, I left one on my garage floor for the night while the other hung.  It was fine.  Not sure I would "age a deer" without hanging but in cold temps over one night it didn't matter.

And I love my electric winch.  I now sit while processing my deer.  and move whatever part I am working on to my level.

Edited by moog5050

plenty of game are quartered in the field and eaten all over the world. There are a few reasons we hang.

helps drain the blood

allows for even cooling (think cold or warm floor only applied to one side)

helps stretch the deer out uniformly, maxing skinning easier

but probably the biggest reason, and it has nothing to do with quality of meat. It's just easier to skin and process. 

Moog and I both have a similar setup, and depending on how bad your shoulders are, the install might be difficult. But I recommend and use the harbor freight hoist. $80 I think for the 400 lb one. If you have open rafters it's an easier install, and there are a couple of good ways to do this, and some not so good ways. If you have a ceiling in your garage like I do (and I think moog did too) then go with an 8' 2x8 or 2x10. mount the hoist to the middle of board and then from below you can secure the board to your joists. I recommend a spot where trust meets joist for added security. However the 8' board will be secured across 3 joists which distributes the weight, with the hoist being in the middle. 

I've only done deer and a lawnmower, but my ceiling hasn't collapsed yet. Also figure you're adding force when pulling down the hide and she's still in good shape. 009.thumb.JPG.5f77734340d81142f0a40c06e239f5fb.JPG002.thumb.JPG.b351576587e41aa0ad09826a28b9676c.JPG

I think my shoulders AND back, would hurt much WORSE, trying to skin and butcher from floor level !!

Getting an inexpensive electric hoist like suggested above, will be so much easier on ya. Or call a buddy to help you get it hung up?

Good luck crossbow hunting!