Xbow full inclusion??

13 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Is that Wolc behind the mask????  Button buck proud! 

That is a 1.5 year old spike, not a 6 month old button.  It has been about 20 years since I shot one of them.   There is no point in shooting one of those, since they taste exactly the same as a 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 year old buck, but have much less meat on them.  Within the 1-1/2 year age class, the spikes, threes and fours are usually smaller than the fives, sixes and sevens.   It has been almost that long since I killed any with less than three on a side.   When it comes to meat quality (especially the liver), a six month old is nearly worth it's weight in gold, as far as my taste buds are concerned.   Those of you who have never tried one have not a clue of what you are missing.  I would shoot them all at 6 months if I could and my wife and kids would be thrilled if that ever happened.

I would consider this my second best crossbow season ever, thanks to the 100 pound plus field-dressed button buck. The 43" chest girth, 3.5 year old behemoth that I nailed last year just barely edges it out.  It takes an awful lot of quantity to beat out that much quality.   I was pushing hard for full inclusion until that monster button came along this year, the first time I have ever been able to punch a DMP with my crossbow.   If we do get a poll going, I might be inclined to vote: "leave the seasons like they are" if that is given as an option, rather than just "for" or "against" full inclusion.  I also liked having that extra time for hen-turkey hunting with my shotgun.  Those hen turkey drumsticks were almost as tasty as this button buck's liver.         

CrossbowBBchestgirth.jpg

That is a 1.5 year old spike, not a 6 month old button.  It has been about 20 years since I shot one of them.   There is no point in shooting one of those, since they taste exactly the same as a 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 year old buck, but have much less meat on them.  Within the 1-1/2 year age class, the spikes, threes and fours are usually smaller than the fives, sixes and sevens.   It has been almost that long since I killed any with less than three on a side.   When it comes to meat quality (especially the liver), a six month old is nearly worth it's weight in gold, as far as my taste buds are concerned.   Those of you who have never tried one have not a clue of what you are missing.  I would shoot them all at 6 months if I could and my wife and kids would be thrilled if that ever happened.
I would consider this my second best crossbow season ever, thanks to the 100 pound plus field-dressed button buck. The 43" chest girth, 3.5 year old behemoth that I nailed last year just barely edges it out.  It takes an awful lot of quantity to beat out that much quality.   I was pushing hard for full inclusion until that monster button came along this year, the first time I have ever been able to punch a DMP with my crossbow.   If we do get a poll going, I might be inclined to vote: "leave the seasons like they are" if that is given as an option, rather than just "for" or "against" full inclusion.  I also liked having that extra time for hen-turkey hunting with my shotgun.  Those hen turkey drumsticks were almost as tasty as this button buck's liver.         

CrossbowBBchestgirth.thumb.jpg.3b892e89e8ccdc137b636583fa89a883.jpg

Too long to read. Can you summarize in 2 sentences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Too long to read. Can you summarize in 2 sentences?

I don't shoot spikes, but button bucks and hen turkeys are yummy.  Crossbows are awesome and I don't mind the seasons like they are now.     

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thank you for clarifying.

f2686ac8f0061f738b296ebef49e4402.jpg

I feel ya Fam!

You are welcome.  That is cool.  Maybe I will go back and see if I can find the skull from mine back on the carcass pile.  I have some seasoned rough-cut walnut in the barn.  My dad could make a nice plaque for it with his planer.   Usually the yotes drag them back to their den, so it is probably gone.  There may be a den back in our woods though, so I might still find it.  I saw a very fat coyote run out of there last Sunday afternoon.  

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Sad part is you prob took that pic right off your wall.  Bout Right.

Happy not sad, especially if he saved the liver.  When the Good Lord blesses you with one of those "fatted calves" it is as good as it gets.  

Edited by wolc123