Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

Hunt #42 12/16 2:30-dark.  6S Big buck stand

Didn't see anything. Did see some fresh tracks on way to the stand. Nothing big but fresh tracks are good.  

All the AG has been cut which is a rarity.  Usually they don't get to all of it here and some is left and draws deer in. Beans in the field I'm in are gone, but there is a pasture with some grass behind me and some picked corn in a field over the edge of hill.  

Was cold but not unbearable. 

Pulled cards and was good to see the one big boy that was there before made it thru gun season. But all night pics.  Hoping he makes a mistake for me. I have Sat,Sun, Mon left.  I have an idea where he "might" bed some but impossible to get to it and get a shot, little spot and have jumped some good bucks there but they are off like a rocket.  But gonna be in the area around it.  One of those ive never gotten a daylight pic of so chances arent great, but three tries left. Also a couple smaller bucks on cam I would take so here's hoping. 

IMG_20201216_182934695.jpg

IMG_20201216_142126430.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Hunt #42 12/16 2:30-dark.  6S Big buck stand
  Didn't see anything. Did see some fresh tracks on way to the stand. Nothing big but fresh tracks are good.  
  All the AG has been cut which is a rarity.  Usually they don't get to all of it here and some is left and draws deer in. Beans in the field I'm in are gone, but there is a pasture with some grass behind me and some picked corn in a field over the edge of hill.  
Was cold but not unbearable. 
Pulled cards and was good to see the one big boy that was there before made it thru gun season. But all night pics.  Hoping he makes a mistake for me. I have Sat,Sun, Mon left.  I have an idea where he "might" bed some but impossible to get to it and get a shot, little spot and have jumped some good bucks there but they are off like a rocket.  But gonna be in the area around it.  One of those ive never gotten a daylight pic of so chances arent great, but three tries left. Also a couple smaller bucks on cam I would take so here's hoping. 
IMG_20201216_182934695.thumb.jpg.78fd07db38b750967a9faf620c7a07d9.jpg
IMG_20201216_142126430.thumb.jpg.354d15a11ea351df49025707e36abe30.jpg

Sweet buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sweet buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a lot of pics of him , travels same area early morn and just after dark.  Last day might try a bedding area jump but spot I think he might be in is tough to get a shot.  Thus the reason he made it thru gun season too.  

I did shoot a doe there once.  She made the mistake of popping her head up while laying down and not just busting out.  I neck shot her at about 90 yards and she never moved. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Wind bump !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

yup. Gonna try that on Monday morn after i sit in a stand about 125 away downwind.   Issue is I only have one safe direction to take a shot there and guess what they dont go that way.  I am hoping he is in the other spot in some pines and i can wind bump that from about 100 away and its in a gully.  I plan to get abve it quiet and see what gets up.    I have tons of pics of this buck and he has to be bedding in either one of two different spots.  Monday I am gonna push into them and see.  Gun up and ready.  

2020 Augusta 4.JPG

2020 Augusta 5.JPG

2020 Augusta 9.JPG

2020 Augusta 10.JPG

• Like 3

Hunt #43.  12/19.  2-dark. 6S big buck stand. 

Didn't see anything but an Amish spreader with a team of horses on the field behind me. Quiet out there otherwise.  Quite a bit of sign on the way in and in field.  Deer seem to have been out digging down to ground to find food and several sets of tracks most likely from last night.  

Another try tomorrow afternoon, not sure if this stand or mosh pit, will decide on morn. Then last try Monday morn to sit for the first hour then push some bedding and see if I can get lucky. 

IMG_20201219_140713673_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201219_140058667.jpg

IMG_20201219_135811801.jpg

IMG_20201219_152348590.jpg

• Like 2

Hunt #44. Light -10:30.  6S.  Mosh pit stand. 

Spent 2 hours in the stand then an hour and a half poking around.  Didn't see anything but I got on fresh tracks and eventually to a bed. Deer must've knew I was coming for a ways and busted out. Could tell it was on the gallop.  Followed tracks for a ways but went into an area I can't. I knew I was on a fresh track for sure but never say this deer get up or heard it.  But it prob busted me from a good distance even with the wind in my face as the snow was real packy and was loud even trying to creep along. Fun day though of getting on a track. Tried a couple other bedding areas but nothing. That's it for the season. 

IMG_20201221_072121217.jpg

IMG_20201221_072126539.jpg

IMG_20201221_090026184.jpg

IMG_20201221_092915205.jpg

• Like 2

Season wrap up

-best season ever on Oneida lake.  Caught a lot of eyes and some good times fishing with Fishdo and son, and a trip out with Otto and the real tcIII.

- love the new boat more than I thought I would. Wanted a swivel seat in the rear but glad it worked out the way it did with setup. It works out better than what I was even planning. 

- whiffed on a nice Tom in early May

-  My earliest ever deer on 10/3 doe with the bow

- missed a doe with the bow on 10/25 shot under

- a nice 6 point on Halloween night with the bow

- a doe at the Lomax buckform on last weekend of gun.  Great to meet and hunt with Tim. 

- after not getting a deer at all last season, 3 is a great year that filled the freezer and helped out some others as well. 

- was told before start of season I can no longer hunt my 6S spot. Nothing I did just a change there.  Tough one cause it is my best spot and where I got my biggest deer.  Tough one to take but I still am lucky to have my spot in 7F. And am panning for another.

- was weird to sit out most of the rut with a buck already on the ground.

- looking to do some work on 7F next year. 2 page list.

Overall very good hunting and fishing year. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Congratz on the successful season!!
Sucks about your spot. As you know I’m losing one of mine as well. We are on the lease watch as well. Happy Holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks you too!  Sucks no more hunting at the hole for you, I enjoyed reading those stories and you guys did well there.  Good luck finding some new dirt.  I am looking , have an idea or two, nothing huge. 7F spot will be my #1 now and it's decent esp for bow so I am lucky to have it.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Season wrap up

-best season ever on Oneida lake.  Caught a lot of eyes and some good times fishing with Fishdo and son, and a trip out with Otto and the real tcIII.

- love the new boat more than I thought I would. Wanted a swivel seat in the rear but glad it worked out the way it did with setup. It works out better than what I was even planning. 

- whiffed on a nice Tom in early May

-  My earliest ever deer on 10/3 doe with the bow

- missed a doe with the bow on 10/25 shot under

- a nice 6 point on Halloween night with the bow

- a doe at the Lomax buckform on last weekend of gun.  Great to meet and hunt with Tim. 

- after not getting a deer at all last season, 3 is a great year that filled the freezer and helped out some others as well. 

- was told before start of season I can no longer hunt my 6S spot. Nothing I did just a change there.  Tough one cause it is my best spot and where I got my biggest deer.  Tough one to take but I still am lucky to have my spot in 7F. And am panning for another.

- was weird to sit out most of the rut with a buck already on the ground.

- looking to do some work on 7F next year. 2 page list.

Overall very good hunting and fishing year. 

Glad to have been part of the 2020 season and if you want any help on 7f spot let me know be glad to help.  Stay safe and have a great holiday season.  

One of the pics from today’s pull

5F0FD7E3-2F35-49B8-AD63-37143BCFA805.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Glad to have been part of the 2020 season and if you want any help on 7f spot let me know be glad to help.  Stay safe and have a great holiday season.  

One of the pics from today’s pull

5F0FD7E3-2F35-49B8-AD63-37143BCFA805.jpeg

Thanks much . And thanks for letting me pick your brain already. Lol. Got some seeds delivered yesterday. 

Hey I recognize those guys!  They look like they are looking for something.....

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Congrats on a great season Rob.  Good luck finding more dirt.  

Thanks. Got a couple leads but will have a spot to hunt either way. I'm a grinder and will get a deer. I've taken a few from spot in 7 F it's just you get one maybe two shots all year so can't be picky. 

If they (DEC) go to the week of early does, I have a stand in 7J that would be a good chance to put a doe in the freezer early. Now I never get to hunt it cause they put cows out there in early Oct to feed on the field. 

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Rob,  It was a great day on the water!  Thanks for the invite and hope to fish with you again in 2021! 

We definitely will!  Let's make it happen. And thanks for the assist when I expertly contained that walleye by burying a hook in my thumb so he couldn't get away!  Lol

• Like 1

Already  prepping for next season.  Cut some brush in a couple spots.  This spot mostly , plan is to plant this as a kill plot next year so had to cut back some brush to be able to shoot into it.  Small spot like 25x30 yards. And we have a stand tucked into some pines next to it.  Was good to be out and do some work. 

IMG_20201227_141908121.jpg

IMG_20201227_152159484.jpg

IMG_20201227_145815055.jpg

IMG_20201227_152656696.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...