Walking for health

fasteddie

About a month ago I decided to get off my fat ass at least once a day and walk . I have a 1.3 mile route that I walk at least 6 times a week from my house through the Furnaceville Cemetary and back . Almost every evening I am greeted by a couple baby bunnies that have allowed me to walk within 5 yards of them . I decided to walk this am before it got too hot and saw a deer and a woodchuck . I pointed my finger at the chuck like I was shooting and he looked like he was ready to charge at me .

Anyway , when the weather gets a bit cooler I will increase my walking distance and maybe wear a backpack with some weight in it . Then I should be ready for hunting season .

Is anyone doing any exercise to get in shape or stay in shape ?

I been running 3 miles a day for years now. Its a good distance for me and keeps me in good shape. Since that episode with the cholesterol medicine I'm trying to lower my Triglycerides naturally. Doc has me on a low carb diet. lost 18lbs so far in about month and a half. Don't mind the diet and I still get to drink lite beer on the weekends! It works. keep it up Eddie!

I love walking and I think more people should do it.  Me and my wife and a few in her family try to do 5-10 mile day hikes a few times each summer.  For general exercise close to home I ride a bicycle and have for years.  I ride 50 to 60 miles a week, mostly very early in the morning to avoid traffic.  I have logged 700 miles this spring and summer so far.  From what I have seen way too MANY hunters are lard butts.

I try to run at least twice a week (4-5 miles each time) and then I play softball every Sunday.  Doubleheaders each time and it's a fairly competitive league.  I have to admit though, I haven't ran in like 2 weeks.  Gotten lazy.  I run outdoors as much as I can.  During the winter, I run indoors at the local gym and I squeeze in a hour of weight lifting.  I also play dodgeball during the winter.  Don't laugh.  A lot of my female friends wanted some sports event during the winter and they needed some guys.

I've recently competed in the Warrior Dash.  I want try the ToughMudder but I need to learn how to swim first since that requires some swimming.  I'm also a big believer of barefoot running so I always run with ViBram FiveFingers except for softball which I wear cleats.

Great topic and much often overlooked by many hunters.  A good state of physical fitness helps with everything from rolling out of the rack at 4:00 a.m. to hit the woods to pulling a 200lbs. animal through the snow when the job is done.  Your attitude, health, fitness -- pretty much everything, improves if you pay a little attention to treating your body right.

The wife and I do a 3 mile hike daily (weather permitting). In fact we have been doing that for more than 4 years now. In the winter months it's 3 miles on the treadmill. And all that is probably the least of my exercise during the summer months with all the grounds-keeping activities and other projects....lol.

As far as running is concerned, I don't do run. That's nothing new, I haven't done anything other than a fast paced walk for many decades.

Favorite place to walk is the old logging and access road down the west side of Canadice Lake. I can also be found down at Hi-Tor in Naples, Kershaw Park in Canandaigua, or the gravel access road along Hemlock Lake.

Hunting is no strain for me although I will say that deer dragging can be a bit of a struggle. That's kind of hard to develop an exercise for .....  ;D .

Hunting is no strain for me although I will say that deer dragging can be a bit of a struggle. That's kind of hard to develop an exercise for .....  ;D .

Doc, you should watch Rocky IV all over again when Rocky trains by dragging a tree trunk up the side of a mountain.

[Drago - He's not human.  He's like a piece of iron.]

Doc, you should watch Rocky IV all over again when Rocky trains by dragging a tree trunk up the side of a mountain.

[Drago - He's not human.  He's like a piece of iron.]

Doc has signed to play Rocky in the next movie.  He will be portraying Rocky at the age of 73.  In the movie Rocky will be making yet another boxing comeback while suffering from Alzheimers.  When the bell rings for round one he will start punching the referee because he couldn't remember who his opponent was.

I used to run 40+ miles a week and enter 5 mile and 10K races for fun . My ankles gave out and I quit running . Had my left knee replaced a couple years ago . Walking 1.3 miles a day is a bit painful but necessary as I spend too much time at the computer .

Running can be tough on the joints, that's for sure.  I think people get the most bang for the buck with running, as far as a good workout in a short amount of time is concerned, that is why many run.  But if you are going to wear your joints into the ground where eventually it will become hard to move around at all, I don't know how much one is really benefitting.  I think good brisk walks for a decent distance is a better alternative for most along with some cycling or other aerobic gym apparatus.

I'm on my feet daily ....rarely use the equipment to move materials I can carry and I use push spreaders and seeders....I walk our property daily it is 2,700 wide and 2,500 ft long and On a steep hill....today I took the dog down the hill to the creeks to cool off...after spreading lime on an acres worth of fall plots....yep it's great for the heart...my mom was a walker...never got her license to drive...when I lived in a town I rode bike to stay fit and loose weight....I'd ride at night 11pm 7miles or 4am in the morning before Mr B left for work I loved riding bike...That is the best for keeping weight off

I'm on my feet daily ....rarely use the equipment to move materials I can carry and I use push spreaders and seeders....I walk our property daily it is 2,700 wide and 2,500 ft long and On a steep hill....today I took the dog down the hill to the creeks to cool off...after spreading lime on an acres worth of fall plots....yep it's great for the heart...my mom was a walker...never got her license to drive...when I lived in a town I rode bike to stay fit and loose weight....I'd ride at night 11pm 7miles or 4am in the morning before Mr B left for work I loved riding bike...That is the best for keeping weight off

didnt you win a bronze for the clean n jerk in the 72 olympics ;D

I walk esch day as I shoot my 32 target 3D bow range it is on about 20 acreas of land. My wife goes down town and walks indoors at the medical center, she walks for a full hour and has done wonders for me. It sure is quite in the house during her walking. All kidding aside I think it has to help us older people, at 70 I know I feel a lot better when I can get out and walk.

Sumer I walk about 3 miles a day.  In the winter the local school has a walking program.  I walk evenings there and according to their charts I do about 4 miles.  Weekends I hit the bow flex a bit. 

Walking is just one of my exercise activities. My driveway is about 800 feet long. I have finally completed clearing brush down both sides of it for the entire length. Almost time to start at the top again. And of course in the summer months, none of that is mowed with a riding lawnmower. Too many stones and stumps. The old Dr-Trimmer does the whole job. Anyone who has ever used one of those things knows that that is quite a chore, especially up and down those ditch banks. That's quite an exercise routine ..... lol. I've often wondered how many miles I actually walk pushing that Dr-Trimmer each time I mow that area. All that stuff thrown in with a rather large picnic area that I keep maintained, and all the other projects around the property, and my little walks over at Canadice Lake and Kershaw Park, and Hi-Tor actually seem a bit trivial .... lol. I probably don't really have to do any of that stuff, but I figure if I don't keep moving, I'll rust  ;D .

post-11-131455466141_thumb.jpg

post-11-13145546615_thumb.jpg

I use to run 6 days a week, 7 miles a day. But, arithritis took care of that. I am fortunate enough to live by a state park, so my german shepard dog gets me out on the trails for a work out every other day for 2 or 3 miles. Yesterday, did an 8 mile mountain hike with my wife. As age creeps up, I want to go into each hunting season in as good as shape as I can. It's important for all of us. We forget just how physical hunting is.

Is running really all that good for you? I've heard a lot about how running can cause all kinds of over-stressed body parts, and yet I think I have never seen a time when there were more people running around on the roads. I think the growth in numbers of people running is only exceeded by the growth in numbers of people biking. By the way speaking of running (or biking for that matter) on the roads ..... How good can it be to be gasping in all that auto exhaust everytime a car goes by?

Is running really all that good for you? I've heard a lot about how running can cause all kinds of over-stressed body parts, and yet I think I have never seen a time when there were more people running around on the roads. I think the growth in numbers of people running is only exceeded by the growth in numbers of people biking. By the way speaking of running (or biking for that matter) on the roads ..... How good can it be to be gasping in all that auto exhaust everytime a car goes by?

I recommend reading "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougal.  Talks about how the human physiology is designed to run a lot more than you think.  Some of the stuff he brings up blows your mind.  Go ahead a look up "persistence hunting" and the "man versus horse marathon" on wikipedia.

As far as reducing stress to your body, it is one of the reasons why I run with Vibram FiveFingers all the time.  But if you do have knee and other joint problems, the stationary bike is the best cardio exercise out there by far because there is absolutely zero impact on your joints.  The elliptical machine is the next best machine.  Just when you do ride a bike, I recommend that you don't ride behind a bus.

Yeah, I keep hearing about something called shin-splints or something and I know a lot of guys that ran when they were younger,but can't hardly even walk anymore because of arthritis and other major knee, ankle, and hip problems that they blame on the running they did when they were younger. That's why I asked the question.

As far as deeply inhaling motor vehicle exhaust (bus, truck or otherwise), logic kind of tells me that that can't be real good for you regardless of whether you are running, walking, or on a bike.