Recommended Posts

For those on the fence or those just interested, I am going to give my thoughts on Sitka Gear - at least the items I have used thus far. It is expensive stuff - that's for sure! Is it worth it? All I can say regarding it's cost is that some brands may be less expensive and work just as well - I can't say for sure since I have not tried every piece of hunting-wear on the planet. What I can say...is that it works for me. I have the Sitka Gear lightweight core hoody and bottoms, The heavyweight core hoody and bottoms, the stratus vest, the fanatic hoody, the incinerator jacket and incinerator bibs. The few times I have used the gear I wore my Cabela's next to skin silk-like base layer (top and bottom) with the sitka heavyweight core hoody and bottoms followed by the incinerator jacket and bibs. I have been out in 16 degree temps with wind and was completely cozy. I have also worn this during snow/ice and 25 mile an hour winds while coyote hunting. I typically have to leave the jacket open as the suit is that warm used with those thin base layers. I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I experienced it, as I am usually cold no matter what I wear or layer up. The times out have been approx. 4 hours at a time with minimal activity (usually sitting). The quality of the build of the items seem to be top notch and well thought out. I have found that the incinerator bibs and jacket (size medium) seem to run towards the larger end of small and smaller end of the medium scale (athletic fit) At 5'7" 150#, 27" inseam. The jacket sleeves are a little longer than I like but what you gonna do. The bib legs length seem to be good with any boot I wear. I have not used or have had the need to use the fanatic hoody yet but plan on using it during spring turkey hunting or maybe Monday when we are supposed to have -18 degree temps...lol. I purchased the vest as it has the wind-blocking technology but have not needed it yet with the excursions I have gone on thus far. Since I am always cold no matter what when hunting, this stuff seems to work for me  and probably will hunt more now than I have in the past because of it. Maybe it's in my mind to justify the price...lol...or maybe it really works. I truly expected it not to work as advertised but am happy that seems to NOT be the case. As far as durability, time will tell. My other gear was 30+ years old but twice as heavy - if not more. This Sitka gear is light weight, thin, and gives you alot more movement since you are not bundled up with bulky layers. All I can say is I am happy I bought it. If you look around you can save money off the retail prices. I purchased my incinerator jacket on Ebay for $450 not the $599 list price. I did pay full boat for the bibs $499 as I couldn't find my size anywhere in the country on sale and only 3 places had them at all with just 1 left. I purchased the lightweight core and heavyweight core at about 2/3's of the retail price on ebay. The vest $189 retail I bought at Eurooptic.com for $134.35 delivered, and the fanatic hoody I purchased off Ebay for $109 normally $189. If you look around you can find bargains vs the retail price-especially after the season. Even with bargains, the stuff is still pretty expensive. The other thing I wanted to mention and like is that the hoody's have internal face masks built into the hoods which come in handy.

If anyone has any ?'s feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will. hope this helps someone!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jdubs said:

Nice!  Buy once, cry once. :good:

I'm still crying...lol....well sobbing anyway...but I am warm!

  • Like 1

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the same I’m just got done with my 3rd season with my Sitka pieces that’s the Stratus pants and Jacket also have the Incinerator Jacket and the Hoodie is the best. I love all of it till Late season Muzzle but that’s because my MT50 replaces it. I really need a set of Incinerator bibs and I’d go Sitka all the way through. Great stuff expensive yes but who can put a price on comfort 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

I'm still crying...lol....well sobbing anyway...but I am warm!

More time on stand equals more opportunity to harvest deer.  Finding what works 'for you' sometimes isn't easy.  Now you're set.  You'll have this gear for years to come and cost will eventually be irrelevant.  

I bought a pricey Arc'teryx hard shell for hiking because it was the best I could find to fit my needs.  Scouring online for a sale price was tough, but I did much better than the $500 retail tag.  Now I wear it year-round, hiking and casually.   One of my best purchases ever.  I can promise you that price was the furthest thing from my mind standing on a summit in -20/25* wind chills.  The quality has proven itself many times over to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X2.  The cost is long forgotten but the comfort lasts.  Wore them today sighting in and was very comfy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I found a site, for cops and firemen that has a 40% off code for Sitka and many other top outdoor brands . May have to grab some .

Yea I think if you are a first responder, vet, teacher, or in the business you can get cleared for a discount. Unfortunately, I am just an ordinary citizen.


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own crap for hunting gear.  Willl go dark to dark and not spending that coin    Never once keft stand as I got cold.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I own crap for hunting gear.  Willl go dark to dark and not spending that coin    Never once keft stand as I got cold.  

Ya even with 40% off I’m very hesitant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I own crap for hunting gear.  Willl go dark to dark and not spending that coin    Never once keft stand as I got cold.  

that's cool....some of us like vw's, some like porsches, some like something in-between....whatever floats your boat...that's what makes the world go round. In my case I find hunting, scouting or any outdoor activity more enjoyable if I am comfortable....to each their own!

Edited by Engraver99

NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I own crap for hunting gear.  Willl go dark to dark and not spending that coin    Never once keft stand as I got cold.  

Its all individual....

I run cold year round. I can wear thermal base layers from Oct to May.

Yet I have hunted for weeks at 90+ and even 100+ degree days; doesn't even phase me. Hotter the better. 

I have some merino wool....but I swear by synthetics. I own one pair of cotton jeans and hate them. Hiking,hunting,work is all synthetics for the most part. Have several pieces of Sitka from way back when guy who started KUIU sold out to Gore, and some more recent. Mine has lasted great and I'm not particularly careful and hardly ever sit, they are always on the move. All bought at steep discount and worth every penny.


Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have one piece of Sitka gear; a "2nd layer from the skin" is how I'd describe it.  I love it but have other similar pieces from Minus 33 and Patagonia that see as much time as the Sitka.  All are great and have years and years of life left in them.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Its all individual....

I run cold year round. I can wear thermal base layers from Oct to May.

Yet I have hunted for weeks at 90+ and even 100+ degree days; doesn't even phase me. Hotter the better. 

I have some merino wool....but I swear by synthetics. I own one pair of cotton jeans and hate them. Hiking,hunting,work is all synthetics for the most part. Have several pieces of Sitka from way back when guy who started KUIU sold out to Gore, and some more recent. Mine has lasted great and I'm not particularly careful and hardly ever sit, they are always on the move. All bought at steep discount and worth every penny.

some say synthetics are best for wicking to keep you warm


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Engraver99 said:

some say synthetics are best for wicking to keep you warm

Go look at serious outdoor folks....hunters,unless doing mountain game......are lazy for the most part.

You aren't going to find cotton on Everest or at the Poles.

Even the guides doing things like Marco Polo Sheep are dressing in left behind KUIU and the like and ditching the Yak skins.

 

Cue the "grandapa wore 80lbs of sopping wet wool" guys......:rofl:

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

Give it a name, apply human sentiment, and its no longer a wild animal its a Disney character.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Even the guides doing things like Marco Polo Sheep are dressing in left behind KUIU and the like and ditching the Yak skins.

 

Cue the "grandapa wore 80lbs of sopping wet wool" guys......:rofl:

I still l love my old KOM gear for stand hunting 250 yards off the road but totally agree, the newest synthetic gear is head and shoulders above the old "Pennsylvania tuxedo" standby.


Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I still l love my old KOM gear for stand hunting 250 yards off the road but totally agree, the newest synthetic gear is head and shoulders above the old "Pennsylvania tuxedo" standby.

Holy smokes, you go that deep to hunt. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Holy smokes, you go that deep to hunt. 

My best spot is maybe 75 yards...........

  • Like 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

My best spot is maybe 75 yards...........

I like your style 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My youngest son has Sitka gear . Real nice looking pattern . Too pricey for me .

 



97.3% of statistics are made up
Semper Fi !

Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, Engraver99 said:

For those on the fence or those just interested, I am going to give my thoughts on Sitka Gear - at least the items I have used thus far. It is expensive stuff - that's for sure! Is it worth it? All I can say regarding it's cost is that some brands may be less expensive and work just as well - I can't say for sure since I have not tried every piece of hunting-wear on the planet. What I can say...is that it works for me. I have the Sitka Gear lightweight core hoody and bottoms, The heavyweight core hoody and bottoms, the stratus vest, the fanatic hoody, the incinerator jacket and incinerator bibs. The few times I have used the gear I wore my Cabela's next to skin silk-like base layer (top and bottom) with the sitka heavyweight core hoody and bottoms followed by the incinerator jacket and bibs. I have been out in 16 degree temps with wind and was completely cozy. I have also worn this during snow/ice and 25 mile an hour winds while coyote hunting. I typically have to leave the jacket open as the suit is that warm used with those thin base layers. I wouldn't have believed it myself unless I experienced it, as I am usually cold no matter what I wear or layer up. The times out have been approx. 4 hours at a time with minimal activity (usually sitting). The quality of the build of the items seem to be top notch and well thought out. I have found that the incinerator bibs and jacket (size medium) seem to run towards the larger end of small and smaller end of the medium scale (athletic fit) At 5'7" 150#, 27" inseam. The jacket sleeves are a little longer than I like but what you gonna do. The bib legs length seem to be good with any boot I wear. I have not used or have had the need to use the fanatic hoody yet but plan on using it during spring turkey hunting or maybe Monday when we are supposed to have -18 degree temps...lol. I purchased the vest as it has the wind-blocking technology but have not needed it yet with the excursions I have gone on thus far. Since I am always cold no matter what when hunting, this stuff seems to work for me  and probably will hunt more now than I have in the past because of it. Maybe it's in my mind to justify the price...lol...or maybe it really works. I truly expected it not to work as advertised but am happy that seems to NOT be the case. As far as durability, time will tell. My other gear was 30+ years old but twice as heavy - if not more. This Sitka gear is light weight, thin, and gives you alot more movement since you are not bundled up with bulky layers. All I can say is I am happy I bought it. If you look around you can save money off the retail prices. I purchased my incinerator jacket on Ebay for $450 not the $599 list price. I did pay full boat for the bibs $499 as I couldn't find my size anywhere in the country on sale and only 3 places had them at all with just 1 left. I purchased the lightweight core and heavyweight core at about 2/3's of the retail price on ebay. The vest $189 retail I bought at Eurooptic.com for $134.35 delivered, and the fanatic hoody I purchased off Ebay for $109 normally $189. If you look around you can find bargains vs the retail price-especially after the season. Even with bargains, the stuff is still pretty expensive. The other thing I wanted to mention and like is that the hoody's have internal face masks built into the hoods which come in handy.

If anyone has any ?'s feel free to ask and if I can answer them I will. hope this helps someone!

those are the exact pieces of Sitka gear I've been eyeballing,(except for the vest because I already own a Milwaukee heated vest) now I might actually pull the trigger on some of this gear. now I have the whole off season to keep an eye on sale prices. my problem has always been sweating up a storm on my way to my stand and then having to sit in it. I sweat so much that no base layer could possibly wick it away. I usually strap my jacket to my backpack but have to wear my bibs on the way in because mine don't zip up enough to go over my boots. looks like the incinerator bibs can be rolled up and strapped just like the jacket and put on when I get to my stand right over heavy boots. seems like the perfect solution to my problem. thanks for the review!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice stuff but, I would go try it on before buying it online. When I tried it on it was tight in the shoulders, tight when I raised my arms, sleeves were short, and short in the waist. I'm a big fan of Under Armour and Drake products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 518BowSlayer said:

those are the exact pieces of Sitka gear I've been eyeballing,(except for the vest because I already own a Milwaukee heated vest) now I might actually pull the trigger on some of this gear. now I have the whole off season to keep an eye on sale prices. my problem has always been sweating up a storm on my way to my stand and then having to sit in it. I sweat so much that no base layer could possibly wick it away. I usually strap my jacket to my backpack but have to wear my bibs on the way in because mine don't zip up enough to go over my boots. looks like the incinerator bibs can be rolled up and strapped just like the jacket and put on when I get to my stand right over heavy boots. seems like the perfect solution to my problem. thanks for the review!!!

the bibs come with a built in strap to roll it up!


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking for an early to mid season and early late season outfit for deer and coyote hunting to replace my heavy 30+ year old browning stuff. Just found a sale on my size (medium) for the Sitka Stratus bibs at Presleysoutdoors.com $224 shipped down from $299 retail (25% off) and the Stratus Jacket at Dunn's Sporting Goods for $214.88 shipped down from $329 retail (35% off). Time to retire  my heavy old hard to maneuver in gear and comfortably walk in to the modern era. As usual, Will do a review when I test them out when received.

Still loving my incinerator bibs and jacket! Was out in -20 (on the thermometer) very little wind the other day during the Polar Vortex and was still comfortable. I could feel the cold but was not cold. I only had on the Cabela's silks and the Sitka Heavyweight core base layers underneath. If I had the midweights and heavyweights on I don't think I'd even have felt the cold. I'm really liking this stuff even as expensive as it is. Usually with my old stuff I'd feel like I was dressed as the abominable snowman. It made it tougher to walk in the snow, and gun mounting was a little bit of a challenge. I feel like I have shed 30lbs when in my Sitka gear walking through the snow. Hunting is a little more pleasurable!

 


NRA Life Member

Buckmaster's Life Member

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.