Redfield Revolution Scope

wolc123

A couple older Redfield scopes have performed well on my 30/06 and 50 cal ML, but I do not have any experience with newer ones, since Leupold took over.   It is time to update the old Bushnell Banner on my primary 12 gauge slug gun and I am leaning towards one of those new Redfields.  It sounds like they come with the Leupold lifetime warranty.  The 2-7 model looks like it would be a good fit on my Marlin 512.  My longest shot with that one with the old Bushnell that was a doe at 163 yards.  

The Bushnell Banner had served me well, prior to last season, especially considering some of the rough use it had endured.  That includes dropping it from a 16 ft high tree stand one time, which sheared off the #10 base mount screws.  I drilled them out and replaced with 1/4", and it continued to work well for about 10 more years.   The trouble last season first showed up while checking the zero over Labor day weekend.   The image thru the scope was fuzzy at 100 yards, but clear at 50, so that is where I checked the zero.  At 100 yards, I could see two bulls, but just one at 50.  

Quite a number of antlerless deer have fallen to that gun/scope combo, but none with "protruding" antlers, until opening day last fall.  My first shot (from 100 yards away) struck that heavy 3-1/2 year old buck about 20" to the left of where I aimed, passing thru his mid-section, just below the spine.  He remained on his feet until the second slug struck a couple inches higher, right on the spine.   A third "finisher" to the neck from point-blank range ended his suffering.   While dragging the 200 plus pound carcass out of the swamp, the gun slipped from my shoulder, into the cold water.

The final strike on the old Bushnell came a few weeks later, when a couple of smaller bucks chased a doe twice around my tree stand.  The first time she passed directly below, but my gun misfired due to a frozen firing pin (I should have cleaned it better after dropping it in the water).   The second time they brought her around, I took a running shot and missed her clean.   I shot on a lower percentage than normal, because I wanted to see if the gun would go off.   It did, resulting in what I am about 90 % sure was a "clean" miss.   I spent a couple hours following tracks and looking but no sings of a hit on some pretty decent tracking snow.  

If anyone has a good reason why some other scope might be better way to dump less than $175, fire away.  I really can't justify spending more than that at this time.    

Edited by wolc123
added range

I have a couple of the Redfield Revolution scopes and am happy with them.  One is a 3x9 and the other a 4x12.  I also have the Battlezone tactical .308 model on my SSG and it is very accurate on that very accurate rifle.  They are very clear, track well when adjusted and do come with Leupold's lifetime warranty if I ever need it.  I would consider buying another one if needed.  Great value for the money.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, airedale said:

The 2X7 Redfield Revolution is a solid choice for your criteria, you will not be sorry going with the Redfield.

Al

I heard that a new Runnings store is moving into our neighborhood in April.  Hopefully, they will stock Redfields and I can find one a little cheaper there.  I heard they often beat Bass Pro prices.  Amazon has the 2-7 x 33 Revolution now for $ 175.   I am looking forward to getting that new scope out on the range after it dries up a little.   

Nikon is out of the running, because I was disappointed with a pair of binoculars from them about 15 years ago.   No Redfield product has ever let me down. I have never heard anything bad about Leupold but could never justify the cost of one of them.  I would definitely prefer to stick with an American-made brand.       

My Bushnell was a fixed 3X.   I like the old Redfield variables on my 30/06 and ML a lot better, especially on the range.  There, I usually dial the zoom up to the max (9X & 7X), which seems to helps keep the groups tighter.   Most shots at deer has been on the lowest power (3X & 2X,) to keep the field of view the widest.  The Redfields are also much better in low light conditions.    

After getting this new Redfield, my last old scope will also be the first one I ever purchased: and old Weaver 1.5 X on my grandad's Ithaca model 37, 16-gauge featherlight.   Had I taken that out last year, after dropping my Marlin with the Bushnell on it, there would certainly be one more fat doe in our freezer right now.   I have also dropped that one out of tree stands a few times but the scope is still as clear as when it was new, it never fogs up, and that old Ithaca has never failed to fire (even after being submerged in water several times.         

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind the new Redfields  have nothing in common with the old but the name. When Leupold released the new Redfield Revolution, it sounded good to me. I bought one in (pretty sure)2-7x.I was not at all happy with it sighting in...no where near as precise as any of the Leupolds  I have, and walking groups. I returned it for a Nikon for the same money...no problems. Afterwards I heard but could not say for certain, that the tube walls are much thinner, and are very sensitive to torqueing pressure. The described symptoms sounded likely.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:33 PM, Daveboone said:

Keep in mind the new Redfields  have nothing in common with the old but the name. When Leupold released the new Redfield Revolution, it sounded good to me. I bought one in (pretty sure)2-7x.I was not at all happy with it sighting in...no where near as precise as any of the Leupolds  I have, and walking groups. I returned it for a Nikon for the same money...no problems. Afterwards I heard but could not say for certain, that the tube walls are much thinner, and are very sensitive to torqueing pressure. The described symptoms sounded likely.

That is good to know.  This scope is going on my primary deer wacker, so I don't want to mess it up.   Do you think that either the Leupold V1 2-7 x 33, for about the same price, or the VX 2-7 x 33 for about $ 20 more would be a wiser purchase ?   Nikon is out of the running because I had a bad experience with one of their binocs and I would prefer to stick with American products if possible.   I see that Leupold has discontinued the Rifleman 2-7 x 33, which would have been perfect.   The 3-9 x 50 version of that model would not fit properly on my gun, plus it looks like hell with that huge objective.    

I guess the only thing I can honestly say in recommendation, (because there is a lot of good glass out there nowadays) is I have never met a Leupold I haven't liked...only that I cant afford! Since the Redfield I had though, I do pay a lot of attention to being sure I am not overdoing the torqueing. I really need to get one of the little scope mounting torque wrenches...and would recommend one. 

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I guess the only thing I can honestly say in recommendation, (because there is a lot of good glass out there nowadays) is I have never met a Leupold I haven't liked...only that I cant afford! Since the Redfield I had though, I do pay a lot of attention to being sure I am not overdoing the torqueing. I really need to get one of the little scope mounting torque wrenches...and would recommend one. 

There is a new Runnings store moving into our area in a couple of weeks and I will check those two Leupolds out.  It looks like they carry them and their prices are a little better than Amazon.  Hopefully, they will also have some type of grand opening specials.    

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the Redfield Revolution 2-7 with 4-plex reticle from Optics Planet (Running did not show it in stock).   $ 171 with tax seemed like a good deal.   Now I just need it to get here and for the lane, back to my range, to dry up enough so I can get back there and try it out.   One thing I need to verify is that the point of impact does not shift between 2X and 7X.  With variable power scopes, I usually fine-tune and sight in at the highest magnification, but most shots while hunting are at the lowest.   This gun always had a fixed 3X on it, so that was never a concern.  The old (pre-Leupold) Redfield variables on my ML and 30/06 have always held the same point of impact throughout the 2X-7X and 3X-9X magnification range, and I hope this one will do likewise.  Although I ain't from Missouri, this scope will still have to "show me", on the range.         

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rattler said:

I have three of the new Redfield scopes (2-7, 3-9, 4-12) as well as the Battlezone 3-9 and none shift point of impact with a power change.  You will not have a problem.

I expect that you will be right about that.  In reading the reviews of this model online, I did see one that mentioned a point of impact shift.   I am thinking that was more than likely the fault of the shooter, the ammo, or just pure nonsense as is often posted on the internet by disgruntled supporters of competitor's products.   As I mentioned in previous posts, my other Redfields have been flawless.  I have also heard few if any complaints about Leupold, the new parent company.   I am really liking the lifetime warranty of this American-made product.   The price seems pretty good also.  

I am looking forward to the variable power scope, especially when it comes to sighting in this slug gun.   I live in a shotgun-only zone and I don't think that I was seeing the real capability of my Marlin 512 at long range with the fixed 3X scope that it had on it.   I am hoping this new scope will give it an effective range of 200 yards.  I know that it has plenty of energy to get the job done at that range, unlike my 50 cal ML, which also wears an older Redfield 2-7X scope.   I was never able to quite match the accuracy of that ML, on the range at 200 yards, with the old 3X scope on this Marlin bolt-action 12 gauge.   ML's are also legal here, during regular gun season, but I don't like to be limited to a single shot at that time.   Several of the button bucks, that I have been blessed with thru the years, have fallen to a second slug after their mother took the first.    

After seeing what it can do at 200 yards with the new scope, which will hopefully happen in the next couple weeks,  my next step will be disassembling and cleaning the bolt so that I don't get any more of those pesky mis-fires.   Those have saved the lives of a couple of does, on real cold days, over the last ten years.   There is a pretty good youtube video of a guy disassembling and cleaning a bolt on an old Marlin goose gun (same basic parts) and it looks pretty easy.   After the snow melted, I did locate the Hornady SST slug that I ejected after my mis-fire last fall.  I will be sure to see if I can land it on the bulls-eye, after getting the new scope dialed in.  

I certainly have a good amount of range work to do, so hopefully the weather will improve and dry up soon.   I also replaced the factory iron sights, on my short-range Marlin 336BL 30/30,  with fiber-optics.    I could not get that one to hit quite as low as I wanted, at 50 yards, with 150 grain ammo and the factory sights.  The new fiber-optics have much more vertical adjustment.   This is the deer gun I use up in the northern zone when it is raining or sleeting.     

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

For the $ i would have stuck with Bushnell. JMO. We all have our favorites.

That was the second Bushnell Banner scope that took a crap on me, in addition to a pair of their binoculars.  That, and the fact that they are made overseas, took them out of the running.    

54 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Pretty sure they are made in China.  Just saying I have 3 Bushnell Elites that have never let me down.

I just pulled the Bushnell Banner off my Marlin and was surprised to find out it was actually a fixed 4X (I always thought it was 3X), made in Korea.   It was on the gun when I bought it, about 15 years ago, and never gave me any trouble until last fall.   It really don't owe me anything (except maybe a little bit for the doe I missed with it last fall).  I can not really blame it for that one because I should have rechecked the zero after dropping the gun while dragging out my buck.    The first year I hunted with it, I was able to kill deer on three consecutive hunts.  The second one was my longest shot at a deer at home (163 yards).   I have lost count of the does and button bucks that it has accounted for since then, and I was very thankful to finally kill an antlered buck with it last fall.  Ironically, that will be the last deer before it gets trashed.   

Besides being made in USA, when and if the new Redfield goes south, I can turn it in for a new one, thanks to the Leupold-backed lifetime warranty.  I also like that it comes with the "illuminator" glass.  That will be nice in the dense woods, where I often find myself hunting lately, early and late in the day.   One thing I won't do is buy foreign when I can buy American for a similar price with a better warranty.   Kind of like the John Deere tractor I bought a few years ago rather than a Kubota or New Holland.  That one has not let me down either.         

34 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The Redfield Battlefield and Revenge scopes are made in the Philippines.

I think current production (since Leupold took over in 2008) is limited to the Revolution line made in Oregon).   My two older Redfield (Low-Profile widefields) were also made in USA.