Uncle Nicky

What's Wrong with Shooting Jakes?

Nothing wrong with it. The way people see you shooting a jake is not like the way people see you shooting a young buck for some reason. Its not as big a deal for most people if they see you shot a jake. My first spring gobbler a few years ago was a nice big jake that tasted amazing. I try not to shoot jakes, but I guess ill never say never when it comes to turkey hunting. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My first turkey I took was actually a bearded hen.  I see nothing wrong with taking Jakes. 

She was Italian huh ?  :pleasantry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Answer to No One !

1 hour ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Being a Year Round hiker has benifits as far as knowing what gives with the Local Turkey population. For me-- that would be 20 miles- North,West,East and 25 miles South. Alot of areas as you can imagine. Last Spring was --( The Spring Of The Jake's)! At least in my area. I feel there will be plenty more 2 year Gobblers feeling their Oats and Gobbling big-time this May. I would rather work a Hefty 2 year old that is full of himself and WILL make mistakes rather then a 16lb 5 year old that will circle you and come in from behind. I will take those 3/4" Spurs everytime-- no problem. Getting back to Makes-- if, I call up a Hefty Jake on the NJ Opener--- down he goes. No matter how many birds you have taken-- we all start the Spring Season at Zero.  Jakes are more Tender in their Legs . Good eating!! I have taken 37 Jake's between Spring and Fall. Fall hens are Tender too.

wait a second... your ~50 mile spread is the distance between Rochester and Pembroke. 

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

My main areas are not that far. Storm king next to the Hudson is under 20. I have areas no more then 16 miles or so to my North and West. And, I only live 18 miles from NJ. I have spots no more then 5 or so miles inside of NJ. Many good areas to hunt. 

• Like 1

Some of these Jakes Gobble like a 2 year old. They can be fun when things might be slow. I was watching a good 5 play -- " chase the tail" in a field and the Boss Gobbled before entering the field. All the Jakes kind of shuttered at the unexpected Gobble. They stopped and watched the Boss for a bit and moved off.

I have known Spring Hunters who have passed up a JAKE on the Opener or very early in May only to have to eat their 2 Tags by May 31st.    Right now-(April 29th), I have hunted 5 Days in New Jersey and heard 1 Gobble. I have weekly permits that run to May 24th . That is NJs last Day for Spring Hunting.  If, I get a Jake in front of my Gun- down he goes.   We all want Longbeards- but if you have hunted say 12 Days and it is now May 21st  and you see a Short beard ambling nervously toward your Hen Decoy-- will you really take a Pass on him with 10 days left in the Season ??  I think most here would take that Jake as their 1st Bird.

• Like 1

I have known Spring Hunters who have passed up a JAKE on the Opener or very early in May only to have to eat their 2 Tags by May 31st.    Right now-(April 29th), I have hunted 5 Days in New Jersey and heard 1 Gobble. I have weekly permits that run to May 24th . That is NJs last Day for Spring Hunting.  If, I get a Jake in front of my Gun- down he goes.   We all want Longbeards- but if you have hunted say 12 Days and it is now May 21st  and you see a Short beard ambling nervously toward your Hen Decoy-- will you really take a Pass on him with 10 days left in the Season ??  I think most here would take that Jake as their 1st Bird.

I wouldn’t, I’m at the point in my hunting career that small small bucks and jakes get a pass on the first or last day of season. I don’t get the excitement out of jakes anymore. Now if I make a mistake and accidentally shoot a Jake I would turn about it but I’m not going to intentionally shoot one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I probably would shoot the jake, but I don't care about turkey hunting like I do deer hunting. Ill pass a jake in the begining of the season, but ill probably shoot it at the end if I havent already shot a gobbler. On the contrary any deer I pass on opening day or mid rut, is a deer that id pass if it was the last day of the season, even if I havent filled a tag (pretty much only a small buck). Im a deer hunter before a turkey hunter anyway though. 

35 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I probably would shoot the jake, but I don't care about turkey hunting like I do deer hunting. Ill pass a jake in the begining of the season, but ill probably shoot it at the end if I havent already shot a gobbler. On the contrary any deer I pass on opening day or mid rut, is a deer that id pass if it was the last day of the season, even if I havent filled a tag (pretty much only a small buck). Im a deer hunter before a turkey hunter anyway though. 

X - 2.........

• Like 1

I am that way with Deer. I always see Bucks while Hiking in September.   I probably have only hunted Deer maybe 15 times in 45 years though.        With Jake's it is up to the person. Take him or pass that Jake-- to each their own.

• Like 1

I've only shot one bird in my not-much-of-a-turkey-hunter career. His name was Jake. If I have a chance at another similar named bird, I'm going to blow his gobblin head off.

And my grandson's name is Jake, so I've got that going for me.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it.:aggressive:

• Like 5

Absolutely nothing!!! Don't believe me, watch this rant from Michael Waddell! If they are legal they are old enough! 

• Like 3

The Sound of A Gobble makes my heart pump faster than anything!

28 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Luck to you for #s 2+ 3 This May! 2 days away!

Saturday and Sunday for me, as work gets in the way of the openers that fall during the week.

I am a shameless Jake taker.

• Like 3

"Stand Your Ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, Lexington 1775

2 hours ago, TurkeyHuntPA_NY said:

Absolutely nothing!!! Don't believe me, watch this rant from Michael Waddell! If they are legal they are old enough! 

when you shoot as many turkeys as he does every spring, you don't count. his point of not knocking someone who really wants to shoot one stands.  he no longer is the poster child for your every day joe blow hunter that's lucky to find a place to hunt to kill maybe a bird every other year. at one time he would've been but definitely not now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA

My son decided he wanted to try to get a turkey with his crossbow. On May 9 last year we had a flock of jakes come into our decoys and he bagged the biggest jake with a perfect shot. You can see the hunt in the second part of the attached video from his website valoroutdoors.com. We were both happy with his accomplishment and the beautiful video. In short there is nothing wrong with shooting a jake.

• Like 2