Ladder; Hang-On; Climber... what do you like?

nybuckboy

Lone Wolf moved production back to the states this year.

I wonder how much that little venture cost them? LOL

Thanks for letting me know, I hadnt heard they brought it back here.

Probably no difference. Theyre not producing at the same facility in the u.s. as they were prechina. The machining/whatever you want to call it is right around the corner from their offices now.  They had to retool anyway because of casting changes to the bowholder.

The price hike probably mitigated any loss ( from the return). they likely lost their butt in 2010 just from lower sales and warranty work. The china models are junk junk junk.

The new prices are insane.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all 3 plus homemAde stands I like all of them situation depending however my hang ons are my tops. This year I am looking to get a new climber I have the summit viper classic was looking at the lone wolves mostly the hand climber any reviews from guys who own one.

I had a summit viper and hated the weight of it.  I ended up giving it to my nephew he was looking for a climber.  I bought the lone wolf hand climber to replace it.  It is the most uncomfortable stand I have ever been in.  Light as heck for sure but there is zero room to even move in this thing.  I used it one season and went out and bought a new summit last year and decided I will forgo the extra weight for the extra comfort of all day sits in it.  Well I pulled that lone wolf of the wall in the shop last year for a long hike into state land once last year and I did not like sitting in that thing at all and wondered what was I thinking.  When I say comfortable it just feels so unsafe sitting in that thing its freaks me out.  The seat is small, base is small, they have straps that hold the seat in place by attaching it to the base. Without these straps your seat will fall when you stand up every time.  The straps have plastic clips on them and both the clips broke the first few times I used it.  I replaced them with metal ones but as far as IM concerned this thing will sit in the shop forever... I contemplated buying the other sit and climb seat for it but thats almost the same price alone as a new summit and it doesnt solve the platform size either.  Alot of money for one of them. 

Okay so my lone wolf review is over lol. 

I hunt with all 3 types of stands.  I feel they all have a purpose and a place.  I want up a tree as high as I can get for bow.  I have been busted out of ladders to many time getting caught at the draw.  The ladders I use for those spots that dont get hunted much and are put up for that odd wind scenario and will stay there for years.  The hang ons are the places I will hunt the most and the bigger the platform the better.  Probably 75% of my hunts are in one.  The climber I use for a couple different situations,  1 is when Im hunting a first time area when my other stands have dried up or going to a new peice with a buddy.  The second scenario is for state land hunting.  Its illegal to leave your stands in the woods on state land so Im not carrying in a ladder stick and a stand to hunt once out of it and then have to take the darn thing back down again.  So the climber is key there.  I have 10 ladders, 12 hang on, 2 climbers and 1 hunting blind.  You can never have enough stands the problem is all the while your sitting in one you know the big boy just walked under one of the other ones lol.

Started out with a Summit Viper climber.

Didn't take long to realize climbers weren't for me.

No way could I use a hang-on stand (vertigo?)

Now use ladder stands exclusively.

Wierd, but I can sit all day up in a well made, comfy ladder stand with arm & shooting rails.

I prefer a hang on stand because I like to keep the background cover (limbs) on a tree and I'm not cutting limbs off the tree.  This helps me hide and keep my stand sites hidden from others.  A little mud on any cut limb stubs helps camo things up too.  I like to get up in a pine tree if possible or in a large hardwood.  Ladder stands would be the second choice because I can leave limbs intact on most trees.  Climbers are my least favorite.  I took a ride down a tree one time in an old Baker style stand when I accidentally set the stand on the nub of a limb that I'd cut off.  I was VERY lucky that I didn't end up hanging upside down.  The slip down the tree pretty much shredded my clothes as I hugged the tree and I got pretty skinned up.  That's about when I switched to hang ons.  Been using a ground blind more and more the last few years.

I am not crazy about hieghts,in fact I am a baby.But I well try to use a ladder this year.

I think most hunters aren't crazy about heights but try setting one up where it's on the level in a funnel area first or a field edge. It does get scary if you are set up looking down a slope. Wear a harness and you know you will be safe. You can over come this. I wouldn't get in a hang on until I went to Illinois on a hunt and thats all they used. I got over it pretty well but I'll still take a ladder stand as my first choice.

NY Hunter

Maybe first try setting up just 2 sections against back off the field edge about 10ft where you know deer travel the edge. That way you are only about 11 ft. Once you're comfortable then add the 2nd section and see how it is.

NY Hunter

Maybe first try setting up just 2 sections against back off the field edge about 10ft where you know deer travel the edge. That way you are only about 11 ft. Once you're comfortable then add the 2nd section and see how it is.

Thats how I got over my fear of heights. I hunted with 2 sections for a whole season. Moved it up the next. By the 3rd season with stands, I was nice and comfortable, its almost second nature now. The big thing I am working on is climbing sticks right now. Im getting pretty comfortable with them now.

Yeah, not crazy about heights myself, but I'm going on a hunt in SC with ladder stands and I'm going to try it. Should I have a harness for this? I'm hoping the ladder isn't straight up vertical. I think it will be easier if it has a little lean to it.

PS also a little worried about snakes and gators so that might be the motivation to get up the ladder. I wouldn't mind a low boy at 8' but I think they're at 12 or 15.

Yeah, not crazy about heights myself, but I'm going on a hunt in SC with ladder stands and I'm going to try it. Should I have a harness for this? I'm hoping the ladder isn't straight up vertical. I think it will be easier if it has a little lean to it.

PS also a little worried about snakes and gators so that might be the motivation to get up the ladder. I wouldn't mind a low boy at 8' but I think they're at 12 or 15.

The way the Ladder Stands are designed , if the ladder is straight up , the seat is going to be at an angle .