Ladder stand on a thin tree

seven7

hi all. i was scouting my property and i found a spot which i think will be great for this upcoming bow season. its a natural funnel that sits next to a marsh/wet area. i had a stand about 75 yrds away last season and i saw many deer move by. there is a great tree for a stand in the spot however it is right in the middle of several deer trails. i want to set up just off the trails to avoid being busted. their is a tree in a good location however it is thinner than most trees that i have stands on. i would say 12-15 in around. would this be strong enough for me in a 15ft ladder stand? thanks!!

7 As an alternate if you build a ground blind whether pop up or just brush in a spot to hide the deer will get used to it. Just be careful with scent which I assume you are already. Even a small box blind will blend in after a few weeks to the deer. I would not trust that tree. Good luck.

Well 15 in is equivilant to a 4x4.. you need to know what kind of tree oak,maple,poplar.elm.. a good hardwood will suport your ladder if not to high 10-12 feet . Poplar I d look else where. Just make sure you get it up early and brush it in a 4x4 doesn't give much cover. I've had stands in apple trees only 4 in in diameter and they aren't straight level or to comfortable. But if that's the tree that will give you a wind advantage and close shot you do what u have to! Id rather be in a spot that will let me get a deer that I might see than be in a spot where I can see deer that I might get!

I'm going to go against the grain here and say to try it out as long as it is a sturdy type of tree.

I've had success in trees about the same size (cherry comes to mind realy quick). A 15' ladder can be made pretty sturdy....

A big factor will be how the mass of the tree carries upward.

Not going to be a stand you want to be in when the winds pick up...but again, I think you should try it.

I have to say I wouldn't try it...and unless you have someone with you to help put it up....that would be a mighty sketchy climb to secure it...even with the downs...the weather has been dry in a lot of places and the trees are in a weekend state....remember even a good hard maple can have the top snap out of it...happens on our place a lot...good luck...be safe