Pickling and Canning

Arcade Hunter

Left to right

Melanzane Sott'Olio Eggplant in oil with pimento peppers garlic and rosemary 

Six quarts of pressure canned tomatoes. Otto I have no clue how you do 100 quarts what a pain these were.

Cowboy candy- pressure canned pimentos and jalapenos in a sauce that tasted like a honey mustard sauce. Haven't tried them and dont plan to crack them for a couple months. I read the longer you wait the better they taste.

Pickled jalapenos deli style (my favorite)  and hiding behind them zucchini pickles. I did nine pints and they are a big hit with family and friends.  

I also did three pints of roasted red peppers in oil not pictured. 

I have some poblanos I want to preserve but that's about it for my first year garden. After my first year doing this I have a new respect of anyone who does any pressure canning or pickling but I love the process. 

Screenshot_20200917-220054_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

Cory, that looks awesome!  I like all the varieties you have.  Nice to have options on the shelf.

We have a motorized strainer and three stoves all going at once.  It works well with 2 people, a third really moves things along.  We do not pressure can, we use a water bath method, exactly like my Mother and her Mother have done for 75 +  years.  One of the stove was actually my Grandmothers. I am almost 60, I’m sure the stove is older than I am.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, Hock3y24 said:

i can venison with taco seasoning, a spoon of tomato's sauce, and jalapenos. instant tacos. 

My first time doing it , plan on doing a fair amount this year . I’ ll be experimenting , and will do that one too .

2 minutes ago, TACC said:

How long can they stay ? Is there a limit before they go bad?

How often do people wait before opening, is it just for one year?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Everything written will say canned meat lasts, one year . People that do it will tell you up to three . I’m just a beginner , but I’ve had chicken a short time after canning ,it wonderful . Makes a very good chicken wing dip, chicken salad sandwiches, I’ve also used it in pasta dishes .

The idea of not depending on my freezer to store meat is appealing, and those who can venison all say it’s very very good, contrary to what one might think .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Unfortunately I smithereened the heart from my doe. Bumming. 

Some folks here were adamant about not doing gutless because "You can't get the heart!, Oh my!" Bull.

I wasn't concerned. #1, because like you, quite often when I gun shoot a deer the heart's not salvageable. Not bragging just saying. And #2, it takes about 30 seconds with a small folding saw to cut 3 ribs, open up the chest cavity and go fishing in the soup for the heart. It's the last thing I do now. I'll chuckle with every bite of this lol. 

Edited by Enigma

Funny enough, my super finicky sister loves pickled heart. I try to hold them out until (or if) I am able to do two .

When I was in Newfoundland moose hunting, I reeally wanted the heart...which weighed probably four lbs! It got lost in the pile of meat, probably at the butcher...probably the first time they ever saw one!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kimchi again. Imitation really, just cabbage, onions, carrots and Korean spices. My son eats it by the gallon. Going legit next time though with radish, dashima and raw shrimp. Gotta man up sometime lol.

20210104_193051_copy_800x600.jpg

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Traditional kimchi

5.5# napa cabbage

1.5# white radish

4 scallions

Fresh garlic, ginger and salt

1/2 cup gochugaru

1/4 cup shrimp sauce

3T fish sauce

4 raw shrimp

Leave on the counter for a couple days then into the fridge. Best after a month I'm told. Who's with me?

20210123_103515_copy_600x800.jpg

• 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, Happy 5-Shot said:

Did you ever make dilly bean?  The can be done with a water bath.

Yes I have there coming next. Got 7 quarts from that pan. I still have like 8 quarts of dillies left from last year. I know my plants aren't as good as last year off 4 row we canned over 50 quarts of canned beans and dillies not counting what we ate fresh.